Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Stripe

#1341 Post by Stripe »

playdayz wrote:
The nouveau driver works very well in icewm (movies full screen), yet if I change to jvm the screen just deteriorates with flecks also the start menu icons are missing
Stripe,
There are several other things that jwm does not do correctly.
1. full screen in gnome-mplayer
2. Stellarium
3. It looks like Opera 10.60--I confirm that also
4. Now your report on nouveau
5. Resize the screen correctly if resolution is changed

I wonder. Thoughts? That is quite a few things. We could add it to the Tips & Tricks list--to change to Icewm if having any of those problems.
I am getting full screen Gplayer in JVM (playing youtube/flash videos, saved mp4/3gp/flv video files, bbc iplayer and dvd movies on disc, with 3 drivers. (2 nvidia and nouveau)
The only time I am not getting full screen Gplayer in jvm is with the nv driver. (could it depend on what graphics is installed on the machine?)

After screen resolution change I remember the screen not being resized but I thought a Xrestart fixed it, will check on that.
Just checked and after changing resolution with Xorg video wizard the screen is not resized but after a restart of X the screen is resized

Opera 10.60 for me is playing you tube videos but none of the video resize buttons are working in JVM, But they are in icewm.

I dont mind either desktop being default as will quite happily use either, (I am unsure about listing faults as it may give out the wrong impression)
The only thing to think of, is having 2 desktops causing an either or situation for some of the software and is it causing too many problems? as well as too much work for You and 01micko? Something to think about for 5.2 perhaps

Hope this helps
Stripe

Jasper

#1342 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz and other readers,

Using lupu 5.0.0 today I could not find a way to:

(a) Copy text from the console

(b) Drag and Drop a file path in the Console using either Rox or Thunar.

I wonder if this may be of interest re 508, but I do not need a personal response.

My regards

rcrsn51

#1343 Post by rcrsn51 »

playdayz wrote:It looks like we just have to live with the deprecated Warning--it does not mean that anything is not working correctly. I asked Barry and he did not know either, except by rolling back, oh I can't remember, alsa maybe, or perhaps the utilities.
We discussed this a while back in the Quirky thread. The problem lies with the new version of modprobe which wants to put its modprobe.config file in a different location.

Unfortunately, the alsa configuration scripts also put entries in modprobe.config and they are coded to use the old location. Since the old file keeps coming back, the new modprobe command keeps complaining about it.

Jasper

#1344 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

I use Wine so made an alias in order to get avast! to work:

alias a!='echo 128000000 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax'

In case it might be worth making a permanent change there is more information at:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSES ... ic=57775.0

My regards

rjbrewer

#1345 Post by rjbrewer »

rcrsn51 wrote:
playdayz wrote:It looks like we just have to live with the deprecated Warning--it does not mean that anything is not working correctly. I asked Barry and he did not know either, except by rolling back, oh I can't remember, alsa maybe, or perhaps the utilities.
We discussed this a while back in the Quirky thread. The problem lies with the new version of modprobe which wants to put its modprobe.config file in a different location.

Unfortunately, the alsa configuration scripts also put entries in modprobe.config and they are coded to use the old location. Since the old file keeps coming back, the new modprobe command keeps complaining about it.
The warning was a good thing; without it I wouldn't have found a
fix for FLSynclient.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

scsijon

507 problems

#1346 Post by scsijon »

sorry, 507 is no good to me, definately retro

- harder to get intel driver to work with a change in frequency and resolution - have to step down one size at a time. ie select not probe, change frequency via choose> set intel> test> modify> set to 75hz> test> gives me 1600x1200 >reboot> 1280x1024> reboot> all to get 1024x768@75hz.

- drive icons appear at random locations and cd & usb can appear on to of others

--on the other hand the sound is finally working "out of the box" no tweaking

-still getting the video reseting screen on power up from cold though, even when the xorg.conf has been modified to set the correct monitor type & model in

- new error for you- by error I ppm'd a package twice and it installed it twice- thought a package was taken out of the top selection once installed?

-- request that firewallstate-luci.0.3 be added into the default packageset to show the firewall state, found that the firewall is NOT installed as up or run on install even though you seem to want the network up at the start!

I've gone back to 506, which is stable and working happily for me since i've set it up how i want it and i'm moving my 431 stuff over to it.

regards
scsijon

smokey01

#1347 Post by smokey01 »

playdayz wrote:
Then I test Win7starter and that one fails too.

Lo and behold the Ethernet card has been shut off so I need to trell win7 to switch it on.
Nooby, You are becoming a support expert!!!

I am using your two tips here to start a Tips & Tricks collection for Lucid puppy 5.1. Thanks. It will be linked from the Lupu News button in Quickpet.

Here is a chance to help. If anyone could go back through this forum and find tips & tricks and collect them and then send them to me that would be a great service to the people who will be using LP 5.1.
Guys, have you tried a .MOV file in gnome-mplayer? It plays very jerkey here and sometimes the video stops while the sound continues. Not sure why everyone likes it. gxine, vlc and xine all work better for me.

Are there any tips for this?

scsijon

#1348 Post by scsijon »

rcrsn51 wrote:

suppose you can't just put a link between the two locations, and then the q becomes which one to do?

smokey01

#1349 Post by smokey01 »

I just tried gnome-mplayer in lupu-507 beta2 with the icewm and the vesa driver, still jerky.

I then tried the same after installing the nvidia 256 driver in both icewm and jwm and there was no significant difference between the two WM. Using mplayer was still jerky. Using vlc was very good.

Running glxgears got about 32500 frames for 5 seconds in both jwm and icewim. The gears actually looks a bit jerky when rotating, at one stage they actually looked like they were rotating backwards. I note you now have three nvidia drivers to choose from. Would one of the other drivers be better suited to my card, see my card in signature block below.

smokey01

#1350 Post by smokey01 »

I just tried a remaster of 507. All went well as it included the additional software but didn't include FlashGot in seamonkey. I was working live from a CD pfix=ram.

I like to use FlashGot with streamripper, works well.

01micko

#1351 Post by 01micko »

smokey

Have a look in /root/.mplayer there should be a config

run "mplayer -h" and you should be able to find some custom options.. unfortunately one size doesn't fit all :cry:

Same with nVidia. I tried to automate the decision as to which driver to use as mush as I could. The problem is that there is no consistency with naming conventions with nVidai cards.. c'mon... GeForce, Geforce2 Geforce 2 (with a space?) what's up with that??? :roll: :lol: They say we have a problem here with Puppy and naming!

To the point, I have 3 or 4 filters processing the card number and it can't catch them all, I expect if it catches 80% I've done ok. The card number is reported correctly in the test on the Quickpet drivers page, that's a no brainer, gets all cards no matter what brand. So if your card isn't caught it's off to the nVidia site or some other search on the net.

Cheers :wink:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#1352 Post by playdayz »

I am getting full screen Gplayer in JVM (playing youtube/flash videos, saved mp4/3gp/flv video files, bbc iplayer and dvd movies on disc, with 3 drivers. (2 nvidia and nouveau)
The only time I am not getting full screen Gplayer in jvm is with the nv driver. (could it depend on what graphics is installed on the machine?)

After screen resolution change I remember the screen not being resized but I thought a Xrestart fixed it, will check on that.
Just checked and after changing resolution with Xorg video wizard the screen is not resized but after a restart of X the screen is resized
Yes, I should have been clearer stripe. We are using gnome-mplayer 0.9.6 because the later version does not work for full screen, but 0.9.6 does. And yes, restarting the X-server fixes the jwm screen resize, but Icewm does it on its own. JWM will be our default window manager, it would be crazy to change now--once I thought about it--and there are likely some different problems with Icewm. But with the two we have the best of both worlds,
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 01 Aug 2010, 02:45, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#1353 Post by playdayz »

Guys, have you tried a .MOV file in gnome-mplayer? It plays very jerkey here and sometimes the video stops while the sound continues. Not sure why everyone likes it. gxine, vlc and xine all work better for me.
Hey smokey01, just like we have both jwm and icewm, we have mplayer and access to vlc (not built in I admit). I guess it is a kind of redundancy--between the two we think everyone should be able to play what they need.

As micko said the controls in mplayer can make a big difference--it would be good to have some docs that explain them. Also some of them are available from Edit -> Preferences in gnome-mplayer. It might be worth while to give Smplayer a try (under Multimedia in PPM). Also, the alternate ffmpeg libraries in PPM might do something interesting.

Stripe

#1354 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Have just dug an old box out of the cupboard,
800mhz amd chip, (64mb cache)
265mb SD ram
Nvidia 5200fx graphics card
256mb swap file

507 and its pets installed and run like a dream
plays all visual media types full screen with Gplayer (jvm and icewm) as long as they are on disc or the hard drive.

Only problem is the internet, have tried several browsers and am having the most success with Midori, which works fine unless you show it flash video, then it just gives up. (crashes probably due to the low chip freequency?) have tried uninstalling and turning everything off I can think of, but no difference.

I am very impressed that such a low spec box is doing the things it is
Cheers
Stripe

playdayz

#1355 Post by playdayz »

tubeguy, I found out that Save to Partition does work with a usb flash drive. That looked like a good way to run Puppy, but it seemed slow.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1356 Post by Lobster »

playdayz wrote:Do you have a link to Textmaker?
http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/textmaker-2002_full.pet
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bigpup

#1357 Post by bigpup »

smokey01 wrote:I just tried gnome-mplayer in lupu-507 beta2 with the icewm and the vesa driver, still jerky.

I then tried the same after installing the nvidia 256 driver in both icewm and jwm and there was no significant difference between the two WM. Using mplayer was still jerky. Using vlc was very good.

Running glxgears got about 32500 frames for 5 seconds in both jwm and icewim. The gears actually looks a bit jerky when rotating, at one stage they actually looked like they were rotating backwards. I note you now have three nvidia drivers to choose from. Would one of the other drivers be better suited to my card, see my card in signature block below.
For Mplayer, if you use Gnome Mplayer there are a bunch of configuration settings that can adjust how Mplayer works. Video output, audio output, and cache size settings have big effect.
See attached picture:

For jerky glxgears make sure you are not using the Mesa driver for open GL. If you are using the Nvidia driver it should have loaded the Nvidia Open GL driver.
Check with hardinfo in the system menu.
Attachments
screen1.jpg
configuration in Gnome mplayer
(189.68 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

chrismt

The Cameleon Project

#1358 Post by chrismt »

If anyone wants to make web browsing in Puppy ad free then try your best to compile Cameleon

http://sysctl.org/cameleon/

smokey01

#1359 Post by smokey01 »

I have spent the last three hours playing with mplayer, vlc and gxine.

No matter how I configured mplayer I couldn't make it perform better than vlc. When using the vesa driver, mplayer wouldn't even play in full screen, vlc and gxine does. Anyway when I installed the nvidia 256 drivers mplayer worked in full screen. It was better but not as good as gxine or vlc.

Now please don't think I am trying to steer anyone away from mplayer as that certainly is not my intent. I want puppy to be a great experience for anyone that uses it. I'm just concerned that knockers (pessimists) and noobs might be turned off it it doesn't work properly.

Although vlc is a great package it is very large at 28M which is good reason why it should be offered as an alternative. It appears mplayer is just under 4M and Gxine considerable less again. Why was Gxine given the flick? I think Barry is still using it in his builds.

My default system is Lupu 5.0 and gxine works fine with it.

BTW, all of my testing is done live without a pup_save file. Would this have something to do with the poor performance of mplayer?

You keep putting it out there, I will keep testing it. I can only offer my experiences and opinion. It doesn't mean you have to agree with it or even accept it.

Keep up the good work guys.

nooby

#1360 Post by nooby »

I don't know why some disliked Gxine. Maybe it was unstable on some sources needing strong sync signal maybe? Just guessing.

What I like about Gxine is that it can be set to repeat endlessly and with rather acceptable looping while I never found any easy way for the newbie to set mplayer to look unless you go into Console type exact name to file maybe path too and then add a bit code loop 0 something. Don't remember.

Too advanced for me so I think of trying to add gxine to those distros that don't have it. Does Lupu have it in quickpet or PPM ?

An annoying features of both gxine and mplayer is that they jump around each time. Don't stay in one place.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though