slow down verbose screen?

Booting, installing, newbie
ghramsey

slow down verbose screen?

#1 Post by ghramsey »

Is there a way to slow down the screen when displaying verbose information during startup? I'm using puppy 4.31 or 5.01 (live CD) and both have the same problem where a bunch of information goes by too fast then it begins doing some debug routines and hangs. I think there is an error message somewhere in the stuff that goes by, but there's no way to see it without slowing it down. In old DOS you could add a switch to a listing to make it display information a page at a time. Is there any way to do this?

The computer is an Intel DQ965GF with a P4@3Ghz single-core, hyperthreaded CPU, 1GB of RAM, and a 120GB hard disc. I recently added an ATI PCIe video card and I think it is the source of the problem. I pulled it out and it booted ok so finding the error message if any is important.
jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

Have you tried pressing the "Pause" or "Scroll Lock" keys?
ghramsey

#3 Post by ghramsey »

jafadmin wrote:Have you tried pressing the "Pause" or "Scroll Lock" keys?
Yes, but the error is happening right after the networking device is probed and there's a pause of variable length. The network device is found, the problem occurs, and then the text goes by at warp speed with a bunch of what looks like hex numbers. If I mistime it hitting the pause button I have to restart and try again. This is time consuming and I've yet to make it work.

Then it hangs, but the information at that point is just a stack dump or something. A bunch of binary in groups of eight. The only thing I can make out is something about a page fault.

Is there a way to make this verbatim information go to some kind of log file that is persistant after I reboot? That'd work.
Mercedes350se

#4 Post by Mercedes350se »

Try pressing Ctrl-s to stop the scrolling and then Ctrl-q to continue.

Ctrl-s means pressing the Control key and the s key at the same time.
ghramsey

#5 Post by ghramsey »

Mercedes350se wrote:Try pressing Ctrl-s to stop the scrolling and then Ctrl-q to continue.

ok, I'll try that.
ghramsey

#6 Post by ghramsey »

Mercedes350se wrote:Try pressing Ctrl-s to stop the scrolling and then Ctrl-q to continue.

This pauses it, but I still need lightening-quick reflex to stop it at the right point. So far 0/2 attempts. I'm just going to return the ATI video card; it's faulty memory or something from what little I can discern from the information that I can see. I got it from a store Goodwill computer store and I can exchange it. It won't work under windows or any other version of Linux either so it must be bad.

Thanks for the help anyway.

[edit]It's not the card. I swapped to another of the same make/model and the thing is still having this problem. I've narrowed it down that it's occuring when Xwin tried to start or probe the video hardware.
How do I gather the information so I can post it to get help?
I need to post this in another forum too, I think.
[end edit]