Puppy 5.01 freezes when copying files to network share

Booting, installing, newbie
Mr. A

Puppy 5.01 freezes when copying files to network share

#1 Post by Mr. A »

When using Puppy 5.01 on my Dell laptop, I'm having problems copying/saving files to a network share folder. The share folder is actually a folder on an NTFS partition mounted in my Linux Mint installation on my basement desktop, and I mount it in Puppy using Pnethood. It mounts fine, and I can view the files in the folder, but whenever I try to copy photos from a camera connected to the laptop to the share folder, the whole system freezes, forcing me to do a hard reboot. I've also had the same problem trying to copy files to a share on a FAT32 partition on the same desktop machine.

I couldn't find anyone else that has experienced the problem, and I've never had the problems using other puppies (4.2.1, 4.3.0, Macpup Foxy 3, Macpup Opera 2).

Any ideas?
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

As far as I know Pnethood serves to exchange information on Windows shares, not Linux shares.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Mr. A

#3 Post by Mr. A »

Well, I get the same result when I mount like this.

Code: Select all

mount //Server/folder /root/mountpoint
If there's a better way, I'd love to learn about it.

Thanks!
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

Let me restate.
Pnethood serves to mount and access shares on a Windows machine.
You try to access a share on a Linux machine.
Time savers:
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Mr. A

#5 Post by Mr. A »

I understand what you're saying, but Pnethood <> "mount" command, right (or at least not exactly).

In any case, what is the best way to connect from Puppy to shares on my other Linux machine?

Thanks.
Béèm

#6 Post by Béèm »

A share has to be defined on the other Linux machine.
With PcurlFTP on the puppy you might be able to access it.
Otherwise there is NFS.

I don't know by heart, but search 'sharing on another linux machine' with the puppysearch link in my sig.
This has been discussed a lot of times.
Time savers:
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

but whenever I try to copy photos from a camera connected to the laptop to the share folder, the whole system freezes
Instead of trying to copy directly from your camera, just copy some existing files. I tested Pnethood in Puppy 5.01 to a Windows Samba share and it looks OK.
The share folder is actually a folder on an NTFS partition mounted in my Linux Mint installation on my basement desktop,
Can we assume that your Mint machine is running a Samba server?
Mr. A

#8 Post by Mr. A »

Instead of trying to copy directly from your camera, just copy some existing files. I tested Pnethood in Puppy 5.01 to a Windows Samba share and it looks OK.
I tried copying an Opera 10.60 .deb that was stored in my user directory in Puppy over to the Mint share folder and got the same result, unfortunately.
Can we assume that your Mint machine is running a Samba server?
Yep, it is.

BTW, since it was mentioned that Pnethood was only meant for connecting to Windows shares, I rebooted the machine into Windows and used Pnethood to connect to the Windows share that's equivalent to the original Linux share, and I got the same result.
rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

I couldn't find anyone else that has experienced the problem, and I've never had the problems using other puppies (4.2.1, 4.3.0, Macpup Foxy 3, Macpup Opera 2).
How much memory does the laptop have?

Try booting from the Live CD with "puppy pfix=ram" and see if you can replicate the problem.
Mr. A

#10 Post by Mr. A »

How much memory does the laptop have?
512 MB
Try booting from the Live CD with "puppy pfix=ram" and see if you can replicate the problem.
This laptop is an older Dell Latitude C400 that doesn't have a CD drive and can't boot from USB. I've got it set up as a frugal install. I did edit the grub menu entry to add the pfix=ram, and I was able to replicate the problem.
ragaman

#11 Post by ragaman »

Have you checked if the shared Mint folder has read/write permission?
Mr. A

#12 Post by Mr. A »

Have you checked if the shared Mint folder has read/write permission?
Yes, it has r/w permission. I double checked, though, just to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

Actually, when I try to copy something from Puppy to the share, it copies a part of the file before Puppy freezes. I just tried copying a ~1 MB binary, and it copied about half of it. It also copied about 500K of the Opera .deb I tried earlier (see above).
rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

Can you copy small files successfully?

Do you have any swap in play?
Mr. A

#14 Post by Mr. A »

Yes, I was able to copy a few smaller files, from ~10 K up to 1.5 M. But that bigger .deb file still locks the system.

There is no swap on the laptop. It's got a 30G hard drive, and it's only got one NTFS windows partition that contains the puppy files for the frugal install. It's about 70% full.
Mr. A

#15 Post by Mr. A »

With PcurlFTP on the puppy you might be able to access it.
Otherwise there is NFS.
Since nothing else was working, I started looking in other options beyond the mount command and Pnethood. I got the same issue when I connected to the Linux Mint folder via PcurlFTP and via sshfs. For some reason, though, I was able to copy the entire 15M deb file without any locking up after setting up NFS sharing.

So I'm still mystified why something that has worked in other Puppies fails me here. But NFS works, and that's all I need for now.

Thanks, Beem, for sparking my curiosity to learn more about some new things!