Puppy installed, worked fine then booted into black desktop

Booting, installing, newbie
Joejo

Puppy installed, worked fine then booted into black desktop

#1 Post by Joejo »

I recently downloaded puppy on an old computer and it worked great when i booted from cd, But i installed on the computer and it worked great for about an hour then when i restarted the computer and booted into puppy the task bar is the only thing that i could see, i could not see any icons or background...it was just black. How do i solve this problem??
rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

Try click on menu on left of taskbar > shutdown > restart X.

Which Puppy on what kind of computer?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs
Joejo

#3 Post by Joejo »

puppy 5

on a compaq presario
2.6 ghz intel centrino
512 mb ram
80gb HDD
Joejo

#4 Post by Joejo »

can anyone help?
kilgour

#5 Post by kilgour »

Hej Joejo

Full install, or frugal?
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

Menu|shutdown|exit to prompt or ctrl-alt-backspace.
At the prompt type xorgwizard and reconfigure X.
restart X
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Joejo

#7 Post by Joejo »

It was a full install because the Computer didnt have an OS on it.
What happens is it installed fine everything worked properly then i restarted the screen went black. just the task bar. Then i wiped it all out and re-installed. Worked fine until i went online (Google or youtube) then the whole thing freezes and goes black.
So, im running out of ideas on what to do.
Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

I have this sometimes too . But I am running e17 Macpup Foxy3.0/1 so I can switch by `plogout` to the really more stable `enlightenment` `xwin` windowmanager.
Switching back to `xwin jwm` repairs the `PuppyPin` automatically .
I think it might be related to rearranging icons on that desktop or new icons by new S/H/USB/SSD/Flash/PEN/Thumb-Drives.
The so called promt is also called `runlevel` "2 3" , nox , `tty` /dev/tty0/1 . There it is possible to type `login` `logout` `help` `e3` `cat` `xorgwizard` `startx` `X` `reboot` et cetera.

In the beginning when I was running at 650 MHz I had to hard poweroff the PC many times because of freezes. Now at 1050 MHz it had not been occured yet. That time after new bootup the `xorgwizard` command started mostly automatically. I always hitted [Ignore] and the wm showed up. I have more problems with my NVidia Graphic Card with AUSTRUMI - S3 800x600 works fine. Austrumi also is a small distro.
were tested by me.
It is also possible to switch to /dev/tty1/2 +2/3 by pressing C+A+F1-4 , find the process-ID of X through `ps -elF` `top` `pidof X` and `kill $PID` `kill -14 pid` . There are several kill -# numbers - Austrumi were up to 31.
BTW: MINE are Full Installs + 3xMacPup on ext2-4. And until now I can not really say which is the better extfs.
Joejo

#9 Post by Joejo »

i am still having this problem im going crazy here
lapis

#10 Post by lapis »

Joejo wrote:What happens is it installed fine everything worked properly then i restarted the screen went black. just the task bar.
Perhaps if you give more information. Does it look like this:Image]

Or is there a blinking cursor in the top left and no task bar? Does the mouse move as normal?

You have been given a few ideas, did you try them? What happened when you restarted X?
Joejo

#11 Post by Joejo »

At first it looked like that, screen blank just task bar. I then reinstalled and everything seemed to work fine. Until i went into the browser and went to, for example, youtube. Everything went black just showing the mouse and it froze. So i restarted and let everything load up again, desktop came up fine and everything seems normal until i went loaded up the browser again and it happened again. Now the problem is the desktop loads up perfect i can go into all the icons, but when i go onto the internet and load up the browser. Everything goes back, mouse freezes and i have to force restart.
lapis

#12 Post by lapis »

Joejo wrote:At first it looked like that, screen blank just task bar.
Everything went black just showing the mouse and it froze.
I think the two are completely unrelated. The first looks like you just lost the Puppypin (the desktop background and icons). Restarting X will normally restart Puppypin unless it is corrupted.

The second sounds like a garden variety system crash. Perhaps related to the browser flash plugin using up all your system memory. Try turning flash off (noscript or similar browser extension). If the problem doesn't re-occur then we at least know what's causing it and then can look at remedies. You should have enough memory though with 512mb.
Karl Godt

#13 Post by Karl Godt »

You should have enough memory though with 512mb.
I don`t think that 512 mb ram is enough for the long run.
The `find` command may claim a lot of ram lookink for 10 dirs deep.

I had the problem that one board recocnized a 256 mb ram rod only as 128 mb. I guess swap is added ...

`fdisk -l` and `free` commands would show . Maybe swap isn`t mounted ?
to mount swap : `swapon -a`
Karl Godt

#14 Post by Karl Godt »

Want to add that I got that problem now, too .

Black screen , just taskbar like lapis described .

MENU > UTILITIES > Rxvt terminal emulator

Code: Select all

# fixitup
and the PuppyPin reappeared :)