Remove Drive Icons on Desktop(SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
mill0001

Remove Drive Icons on Desktop(SOLVED)

#1 Post by mill0001 »

Could anyone please tell me how to do this so the drive icons on the desktop don't come back on restart. I unchecked all the boxes in the drive icon manager and deleted the drive icon line in puppy pin but the 1 icon still keeps coming back. any help is muchly appreciated. I'm using lucid 5.1.1 and I've got wbar installed so I don't need the icons on the desktop. Thanks in advance, Lee in The People's Republic of Kalifornia on the Left coast.
Last edited by mill0001 on Wed 15 Sep 2010, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

In the Desktop Drive Icons manager, you probably just need to uncheck the box for drawing the drive icons on the desktop, though I'm not sure whether or not you may need to place a checkmark next to the Erase then Redraw option.
Once you've cleared that box, select the "Restart X server" option in your menu. (For me, on 4.3.1, that's Shutdown > Restart X server. I don't know if it's the same for 5.1.1. Note: simply rebooting won't work for this purpose.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

mill0001

#3 Post by mill0001 »

Nope, already tried all that, didn't work. Any other ideas?

Kal

#4 Post by Kal »

Do not uncheck (or recheck It) the box for “Tick box for an icon for each partition

smokey01

#5 Post by smokey01 »

Have you tried right mouse click on the icon then select remove item(s)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

In the desktop drive icon manager it is cleary stated that if all boxes are un-ticked there is still one icon on the desktop, permitting to call pmount.

I remember some time ago there was a discussion about this, but don't remember what the outcome was.

Maybe you can find these posts with the puppysearch link in my sig.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

mill0001

#7 Post by mill0001 »

Hey Guys, Thanks for all your replies. Finally got it to go away. Here's what I did (for those who like a "minimalist desktop") right click on icon,remove item, go to /root/.pup_event and rename the drive_drive icon there, restart X-server, voila no drive icons. Pmount still works fine from wbar icon. Thanks again Guys. (Note: make sure all the boxes in drive manager are cleared first.)