puppy-511

Using applications, configuring, problems

puppy-511

#1 Post by 3133 »

I've been very happy with 431 but thought I'd have a look at 511. Installed it as a frugal as I do with all puppies. Set 511 up with my usual preferences, but when I rebooted, the system simply closed down. No opportunity to create a save file on the hard disk. OK, so I can fix this via the console, but this level of expertise (low though it may be) should not be necessary. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Puppy User since Ver 0.4
muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

No, for me works fine, on two 'puters. Did md5sum check OK?
nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

To user 3133

I tested to do frugal install of 511 on all three computers mention in my signature and 511 works just fine on all three.

I use the LupQ variation of Lupu now but do have 511 standard too.

Can the following explain the behavior you talk about ?
Set 511 up with my usual preferences,
Could it be something there that overload memory or that it start up wrong graphic driver or something that makes it shut down?

Frugal is easy to test. Do you have full install or frugal install or use CD DVD?

Do a pfix=ram and add less of what you prefer until you find out what it reacts to. So you first have a working version and then step by step add your preferences.
Last edited by nooby on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
ICPUG

#4 Post by ICPUG »

Do you keep your different Puppies in different directories (and do you use the psubdir boot code)? If not, maybe Puppy 5.1.1 has hijacked another pupsave and updated it.

If this has happened I would expect a little message at the top of the terminal screen, (which I cannot remember precisely), before the shutdown. It says something like the session is mounted as top layer and has already been saved.

When you use different directories you need to specify which one to use with the psubdir boot code. The pupsave should then save into this directory by default.

#5 Post by 3133 »

Thanks to all who offered help.

I was the author of my own misfortune. When I downloaded 511, I extracted the appropriate files and copied them to the directory which contains all my other frugal installations, under its own subdirectory. Altered the Grub list file and so accessed 511 as I do the other frugal puppies and frugal Quirky. 511 loaded fine and ran fine. But no access to a save file installation.

I changed tack. Burned the download to a CD then did a frugal install from the CD and my problems were history.

I don't profess to understand why my initial installation failed to provide access to a save file ( I'm sure it worked with Quirky) but then my ignorance is par for the course.
Puppy User since Ver 0.4