Sound but only blue screen when playing videos

Booting, installing, newbie
lalinzki

Sound but only blue screen when playing videos

#1 Post by lalinzki »

Hello and I just want to say it feels good to have my pc back alive again like its brand spanking new :lol:
Here is my problem. I have issues with playing videos on vlc or gnome player I can hear the sound but there is only blue screen. I try the same download with my other pc and it works. I had the same download with xubuntu and ubuntu and they work until I FOUND AND FELL IN LOVE WITH PUPPY :oops: :wink: :oops: . Please someone help me I don't want to get rid of puppy but I must have my workout videos and I havent workout since Sat. Thank You in advance
looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#2 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

When asking for help it's a good idea to specify:
- what version of Puppy you're running
- how you're booting Puppy (from CD, HDD, USB Stick, etc)
- is your PC a Pentium 3, 4, Centrino Duo, or what ?
- how much RAM do you have ? and how much Swap ? The more details you can give, the easier it is for others to help you out.

Having said that, you could give ttuuxxx's VLC Lite a try. It's the only version of VLC I've found to be stable across different versions of Puppy such as Puppy 431, 431 Retro (both versions), 421, 421 Retro, 412 and 412 Retro.

You can download VLC Lite from here:
http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/ ... ngv5-1.pet

If asked for it:
Username = puppy
Password = linux
Steve
Newcrest

#3 Post by Newcrest »

I had the blue screen issue with Lucid and Quirky. Changing the colour depth in Xorg to 24 bit from 16 bit fixed it in my case.
lalinzki

#4 Post by lalinzki »

Thanks looseSCREWorTWO for that info.
Okay my pc its a ET3406 eMachines.
System RAM:256 MB but shows 236
Hard drive(s):80 GB (total) Platter
Processor make:Intel Celeron
CPU model:340
Processor speed:2.93 GHz
Number of CPUs:1
Number of cores (per CPU):Single-core
Cache size:256 KB L2 cache

Install puppy Linux 5.1 or the newest version booting from hdd.
okay I'll try vlc lite. I was messing with it yesterday and followed some instruction as Xorg Wizard and video worked. This morning I played workout video I can see everything but the people was color purple? I hope this helps
looseSCREWorTWO
Location: Australia, 1999 Toshiba laptop, 512mb RAM, no HDD, 431 Retro & 421 Retro

#5 Post by looseSCREWorTWO »

One of my ancient computers had the "purple people" thing and my answer was to use Gxine 0.5.9 video-player, which has controls for adjusting the on-screen colours back to normality. Gxine comes in-built with the older Puppy versions that I use, but you should be able to download a Pet file that installs it to Puppy 5.1.1. You could try doing a Google search for: puppy linux gxine 0.5.9 pet and see what shows up.

With only 236mb RAM you need a Swap Partition (or Swap File) of about 276mb. The idea being that Total Memory (RAM + Swap) should equal 512mb. Puppy uses Swap as extra "virtual RAM" which improves system performance. For a blow-by-blow description on how to create a Swap partition, see here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 01&start=4
Steve
disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

Have you tried going into the settings for the media player and changing the video output to "x11"?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER