how to disable beep?

Booting, installing, newbie
okosanto

how to disable beep?

#1 Post by okosanto »

In Lucid Puppy 5.11, how can I disable the beep from the pc speaker? On using Tab-completion in the shell, I get a loud "beep" from the built-in speaker, every time the completion is not unique. This happens on both computers I've tried so far.

Manually typing "xset b off" at the terminal works, but I want this to happen automatically. I've already added a line "xset b off" to my .bashrc, and when that didn't work, I added a script to ~/Startup/ containing just "xset b off", but it's still not working...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Shep

Re: how to disable beep?

#2 Post by Shep »

okosanto wrote:In Lucid Puppy 5.11, how can I disable the beep from the pc speaker? On using Tab-completion in the shell, I get a loud "beep" from the built-in speaker, every time the completion is not unique.
I've never stopped to think how annoying it can be. Have a look at this thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1327497488 especially the rmmod command. I tried it on the commandline of a console in the pup I'm using, and it silenced it. Maybe stick that into your startup file or follow the OP's blacklist suggestion.

Good luck with debarking the brute! 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :D :D
disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Did you make the script executable?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER
aragon

#4 Post by aragon »

maybe try to add

Code: Select all

set bell-style none
to

/etc/inputrc
aragon
barefoot

success in lucid puppy 5.2.8

#5 Post by barefoot »

Blacklisting the pcspkr module (as suggested by HairyWill in the thread suggested by Shep) worked for me.

One thing I have to add is that I could not find the pcspkr module in the Module Blacklist Manager after running rmmod pcspkr in the console.

After rebooting, I was able to find it and add it to the blacklist. The Module Blacklist Manager can be found at Menu > System > BootManager > 'blacklist' a module

Thanks to Shep and HairyWill
waado

Disable Beep

#6 Post by waado »

I'm running xenialpup64 and get a beep once during the X GUI loading. I've created a script that uses the "xset b off" command and loaded it into the startup folder. I've tried the rc.local to callc this script as well, but not sure if it is loading from the rc.local.

I've also blacklisted the snd_pcsp

Also followed this suggestion.
Code:
set bell-style none

to
Code:
/etc/inputrc

and nothing works.

Any suggestions as to what tnd his beep is being caused by and how to stop it?
fabrice_035

#7 Post by fabrice_035 »

It's ok for me

xset -b
added in Startup
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752
Peterm321

#8 Post by Peterm321 »

I have the pcspkr module built into the kernel (Puppy Tahr) so that annoying beep can't just be rmmoded.

For those of you wanting another idea to get rid of the beep once and for all ( and even before Xorg runs) - the pcspkr module, even if builtin, can still be unbound.

This command works for me:

echo "pcspkr" >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/pcspkr/unbind