Disappointment

Booting, installing, newbie
brad

Disappointment

#1 Post by brad »

After downloading and burning the Lupu-511.iso image and after some confusion i managed to install Puppy Linux to the Desktop, hooray! But no one can imagine my disappointment to find that when i decided enough was enough for one day and then discover i hadn't installed Puppy Linux to the hard drive but just saved a previous session. Now i've got to go through it all again. I really like the little i have seen of Puppy Linux and intend to stick with it, but why can't it be made easier for newbies like myself to install a great OS like Puppy Linux to an hard drive without any difficulty for non geeks like myself.

Does anyone know of an easy to follow tuitorial to install Puppy Linux to an hard drive please!

Dingo

#2 Post by Dingo »

but you HAVE INSTALLED Puppy Linux!

this is so-called FRUGAL INSTALLL (a puppy linux unique feature)

forget Ubuntu and ubuntian distros with its dangerous prehistoric install-on-hard-drive system

with puppy, you can

- boot from live cd
- restart _(a prompt will be shown asking if you want save a pup_save file on your hard disk, and this pup_save contains all puppy linux os)
- ok, now you have done a frugal install of puppy linux,

without:

- make dangerous experiments with partitions, installers and so on...
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

noryb009

#3 Post by noryb009 »

If you want to boot from your CD, your done.
If you want to boot without the CD (which is faster), and you want to dual boot with windows, you can use this.
If you want to boot without windows, follow this guide. You will probably want to do a "frugal install".
Last edited by noryb009 on Sat 27 Nov 2010, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

shinobar

Re: Disappointment

#4 Post by shinobar »

brad wrote:why can't it be made easier for newbies like myself to install a great OS like Puppy Linux to an hard drive without any difficulty for non geeks like myself.

Does anyone know of an easy to follow tuitorial to install Puppy Linux to an hard drive please!
I agree. Puppy is hard to install for new comers
Visit the topic 'How to install Puppy on Windows PC':
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61796
Feed back is welcome.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

I don't understand. In your previous thread here you said that you had performed the one-click install procedure successfully. Did you not reboot your computer at that point?

brad

#6 Post by brad »

I just want to have Puppy Linux installed to the hard drive and not have to bother keep using the "Live CD" all the time.

I have now definitely installed Puppy Linux to the harddrive and after a little tweaking its going to make a great Christmas present for someone who couldn't afford a new machine.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!