Puppy as wireless router?

Using applications, configuring, problems
saintlangton

Puppy as wireless router?

#1 Post by saintlangton »

I currently connect to the net via a wireless connection to an all in one ADSL modem/wireless router. (which also serves 3 of my housemates pc's)

What I want to do is use an old pc (PII 233 mhz, 128Mb ram, runs puppy nicely. Most other distro's require patience...) as a second 'router off' the wireless metwork.

--- =connected by wire
.... = connected by wireless

Current setup:
ROUTER .... My PC
.... Housemates PC
.... Other Housemates PC

Intended setup:

ROUTER .... Old PC(as router) --- My PC
.... Housemates PC
.... Other Housemates PC

Reasons for this seemingly bizarre setup?

1) I'm a distro/os junkie - Many distro's have automatic setup of internet for a wired link to a dhcp server, but for a wireless link only PCLOS automatically connects (That I've found so far, for my wireless setup - an Rt2500 chipset PCI card) more to the point many distro's need a lot of effort to connect if I ever manage it!

2) I can set up the PII to be completely silent (it runs cool enough not to need it's fan going and using puppy I can disconnect the HD and just boot from CD and run from RAM :) ) with this setup I'd be able to access the internet from an always on silent PC and have my heavyweight PC for when-needed only.

Could a use puppy to set up this old PC as the router and DHCP server? If so how? If not is there any other os anyone could recommend?

Cheers

saintlangton

Sharing wireless connection to internet

#2 Post by saintlangton »

After thinking about this much of the detail above is actually irrelavent.

To be less complicated/confusing i'll restate myself and hopefully someone may be able to help:

My PC is connected to the internet by wireless connection to a wireless router/ADSL modem.

Is it possible to share this internet connection to another PC by ethernet using puppy? Failing that would any other free OS have this capability, preferably one that would run OK on a PII 128Mb?

Cheers

rudedog

Re:Sharing wireless connection to internet

#3 Post by rudedog »

Not sure if this helps but...

http://the.earth.li/~martin/sisela/

From the website:

"Sisela is a small, self-contained system designed to wake up in any PC and turn it into a highly capable piece of networking equipment. It can act as a bridge, router, firewall, DHCP server, DNS server, wireless access point or any combination of these functions.

It can boot and run from a single floppy disk, or a CD-ROM. It is based on Linux and supports a wide variety of network and wireless hardware, including ISA, PCI, PCMCIA, CardBus and USB devices. With the exception of some ISA cards, all these should be detected and identified automatically."