Warning flashes for a second just before Puppy loads(Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Kirby

Warning flashes for a second just before Puppy loads(Solved)

#1 Post by Kirby »

Ahoy Mates
I am using Lupu Puppy 5.10 and recently I am getting a warning that flashes for just a second before Puppy loads up. It's quite a long message and goes by too fast to read it. It begins with "Warning: A depreciated file..." or something to that effect. Is there anyway to freeze the screen so I can read it or is it written to a text file somewhere?

It's quite frustrating because if my Puppy is sick I want to nurse it back to health.

I could just reinstall it of course, but without knowing what the problem is I would worry that it would just happen again. I want to know at least what the warning is.

Thanks again mates :D

Kirby
Last edited by Kirby on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
"When you come to your cross roads, step off the road and go down the path of your own making".
~Bohemian proverb~

*edit* "When you're lost in the woods from straying from the road, Always be sure to carry a Flashlight!"
~Improved Bohemian Proverb~

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

I trust it is a known thing but I don't remember any details about it. It has been mentioned in threads so using
http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
should be able to find it. How did you spell that word? deprecated?

oops depreciated it is okay lets look for it.

Found five or so entries but not answer. So it spelled like this maybe?

http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/g/deprecated.htm

Definition: deprecated: adj. Said of a program or feature that is considered obsolescent and in the process of being phased out, usually in favor of a specified replacement. Deprecated features can, unfortunately, linger on for many years. This term appears with distressing frequency in standards documents when the committees writing the documents realize that large amounts of extant (and presumably happily working) code depend on the feature(s) that have passed out of favor. See also dusty deck. [Usage note: don't confuse this word with `depreciate', or the verb form `deprecate' with `depreciated`. They are different words; see any dictionary for discussion.]

Explanation what it means.

So on to search with right spelling.

Beem suggest that one just ignore it.

Duke says one can hide it.

In Quirky 1.4 and later Woof builds, the issue with the warning has been fixed and there was an earlier workaround to hide the warning with earlier versions. The fix was used somewhere around lines 200 to 210 in /usr/bin/xwin.

so what to think? Could you maybe start searching like I did? :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#3 Post by James C »

That warning can safely be ignored. As nooby wrote, it was a Woof bug and it's been squashed in all of the later releases.Not there in Lucid 520 for example.
There is a workaround to hide the warning somewhere, I just ignored it until I upgraded to 520.
HTH.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Thanks typical of me to not remember the needed details. James gave us the correct answer. That is good!
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Kirby

Thanks =)

#5 Post by Kirby »

Ahoy Mates
Gah! I guess I should wait for my coffee to kick in before posting :oops:
I often get mired down in the search results especially if it's not even up long enough to read what it says let alone how it is spelled. To be honest I wouldn't even have a clue what to do a search for?

I'll refrain from posting when I wake up in the future, so as to do a more thorough job using the search engine first. Sorry about that.

I really appreciate (spelling?) the help with this! I will looking into upgrading to Lupu 5.20!

I'll tag it as solved since it seems to be just a bug.

Kirby
"When you come to your cross roads, step off the road and go down the path of your own making".
~Bohemian proverb~

*edit* "When you're lost in the woods from straying from the road, Always be sure to carry a Flashlight!"
~Improved Bohemian Proverb~