IBM A22m issue booting without HardDrive

Promote Puppy !
whatupuppy

IBM A22m issue booting without HardDrive

#1 Post by whatupuppy »

Hello, I am having an issue booting Puppy any version on an IBM A22m with a failed hard drive.

I removed the hard drive and try to boot by CD only and the process hangs at uncompressing linux OK... Booting the kernel.

Can someone let me know, what I need to do to make Puppy boot?

Specs:
IBM A22m
1Ghz
512MB RAM
rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you go into the BIOS of this machine, is it aware that there is no hard drive?
rokytnji

#3 Post by rokytnji »

Might be flaky download (check md5sum of downloaded iso) or flaky cdrom drive (use a cheap cdrom disk cleaner) or bad/cheap cd media. Puppy should boot and work for you.

I have ran Puppy Dingo, Then Puppy 5.1.1, Now uses Puppy 5.2 on the same laptop as yours but I have a DVDROM and only 256MB of ram. Some of my posts below.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 171#489171

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63931

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60365

If you want to search for just your model laptop

IBM A22m search http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0159956439 ... earch.html

Edit: Just a suggestion. If you have a USB Flash Drive and wish to save changes when shutting down. Use the flash drive to store your changes. That way you will be running like a hardrive install without a Hardrive installed. No need to format pendrive if blank fat 32..
whatupuppy

#4 Post by whatupuppy »

rcrsn51 :

I checked the BIOS and hard drive is not present.

rokytnji :

1) Can you let me know what BIOS are you running?
Mine is 1.09.

2) Can you try to boot your IBM A22M doing the following 1st:

A: unplug the laptop form the outlet and removed the battery
B: remove the hard drive from the laptop
C: wait 15 mins.
D: attached the battery
E: plug into the outlet
F: boot without the hard drive

Please let me know of your results.

Never thought it would be the disc, since it loaded fine on my desktop.
I will try to use NERO to burn a new disk instead of burn ISO.
Been using Sony CDRs, let me know which brand you are using.

Also, thanks for the USB suggestion.

I am in the process of ordering a used 8GB HD to get the thing booted.

I also made some head ways using ACPI=off but still stuck.
Says can not locate xxx.sfs and drop to a command prompt.

Thanks for all the suggestions
whatupuppy

#5 Post by whatupuppy »

Image of the error message from Wary 5.

rokytnji :
I will try out the other puppies links you have provided.
Attachments
wary_5.JPG
(41.01 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times
whatupuppy

#6 Post by whatupuppy »

Burned a new disk for puppy 5.2 lucid using Nero with an 8x CD burn speed.

I tried Puppy 5.2 Lupu with acpi=off and got the same error as wary_5.

Please see image. Sorry I do not have clue as to what to do next.

rokytnji :
From the threads you have provided

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60365

I downloaded

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modems.iso

Burned using Nero with an 8x CD burn speed.

Defaults it just hanges.

Using the acpi=off option works.

For someone who is new and reading this.

1) The computer boots with CD.

2) I press the F2 key

3) keyed in :
puppy acpi=off

4) press the enter key

5) I now have puppy running on an IBM A22m with out a hard drive.

Next using the USB dive to save as suggested by rokytnji .
rokytnji

#7 Post by rokytnji »

Hmmmm. Never had to use the puppy acpi=off to get a CD to boot. I do use the

Code: Select all

acpi=force
in my kernel line for /boot/grub/menu.lst on that laptop to get it to shutdown puppy all the way properly though and because I have only 256MB of ram I also added to that kernel line

pfix=noram
so puppy does not load into ram but onto my hardrive which has 700+MB of swap partition.

I am not on my iBM A22m at the moment. Posting in LightHouse Pup 4.4
on my Panasonic CF-48 Laptop right now. I need the working floppy drive on this one as I am on a Linux Distro Floppy kick at he moment. I picked up a box New unused 50 IBM Sony 1.44MB Floppies from a Goodwill store for cheap. So I will have to get back with you later on what bios I am running.

On my IBM A22m. I have a 20 Gig IDE 5400 rpm Hardrive that dual boots AntiX 8.5 Full Iso with Puppy 5.2 Frugal. I am a little leery of pulling Hardrive for you as I have big hands and fingers and borked both my Amrel RT 686 Rocky Laptops taking them apart and changing the ram. Have to run one of em with a external Keyboard now and the other with a external Finger Mouse. This older gear is dry rotted (plastic clips) and delicate at best.

Good to hear you got 4.31 going. It's a good distro. I run Macpup Foxy 4.31 on a Newer Ibm T23 Laptop I have ,dualbooter with AntiX also. So be patient with me and I will get back with you later on what version of Bios I have on my IBM A22m as I know not all IBM A22m were created equal. Mine does not have the internal Mic or wireless card for instance. I run my wireless on it with a PCMCIA Cardbus Belkin F5D 7010 ver.6 which is very Linux friendly. Chip set in it here just for info

Card-2 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver rt61pci v: 2.3.0 BusID: 06:00.0
rokytnji

IBM A22M Puppy 5.2

#8 Post by rokytnji »

Posting now from Puppy 5.2 on my IBM A22m

# inxi -F
System:    Host puppypc Kernel 2.6.33.2 i686 (32 bit) Distro Ubuntu 10.04 lucid
CPU:       Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache 256 KB flags (sse) bmips 1992.41 clocked at 996.208 MHz 
Graphics:  Card ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x X.org 1.7.6 Res: 80x24 Gfx Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] driver Sound Fusion CS46xx BusID: 00:05.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network:   Card-1 3Com 3c556B CardBus [Tornado] driver 3c59x at port 1800 BusID: 00:03.0
           Card-2 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver rt61pci v: 2.3.0 BusID: 06:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 20.0GB (9.4% used) 1: /dev/sda IC25N020ATCS04 20.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 1.3G used: 443M (36%) fs: rootfs ID:swap-1 size: 0.76GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 91 Uptime 6 min Memory 133.2/249.3MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 
My Bios version is 1.6.

# cat /etc/issue
Lucid Puppy Linux
Linux 2.6.33.2 [i686 arch]
Attachments
Biker_Puppy 5.2.jpg
Running Open Box Fbpanel with rox pinboard
(171.07 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
whatupuppy

#9 Post by whatupuppy »

I tried to use a 4GB Sony microvalut USB (got for Xmas) and would not work (just frozen at boot). However I used my old 2GB Sony microvault USB and works like a charm.

Matter of fact this posting is from the IBM A22m with the 2GB microvault as a saved session.

Can some let know at what stage is the boot process when the error in the pic (screen shot is of wary5, but same error for regular puppy 4.3.1)?

Also, can I manually continue the boot process or I am dead in the waters?

If I can continue manually, can I get some instructions?

Thanks!!!

rokytnji;

Thanks for all your information and I tried Macpup Foxy3 and getting the same errors as the picture. Does this mean I need the scsi-intel_modems drivers? If so, can you let me know what I need to do to have the drivers loaded at boot (step by step is great , I am new to Linux)?
Attachments
wary_5.JPG
(53.1 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
rokytnji

#10 Post by rokytnji »

Thanks for all your information and I tried Macpup Foxy3 and getting the same errors as the picture. Does this mean I need the scsi-intel_modems drivers? If so, can you let me know what I need to do to have the drivers loaded at boot (step by step is great , I am new to Linux)?
That is over my head. sorry. The kernel is what needs to be modified. All I can think of is to try

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=25070

Look through

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=597

for hints or tips

and

You might want to pm aragon and point him to this thread with your error message who is more skilled than I and runs a IBM a22m also.[/code]

Edit: Instead of wasting time trying to get something to work. Below Puppy has latest apps and is built for older rigs. Might give it a go.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the usual work-around for situations where Puppy can't find the sfs file on an optical drive.

1. Copy the core Puppy files from the CD to a flash drive.

2. Boot from the CD with the flash drive plugged in.

3. At the short initial pause, type

puppy pmedia=usbflash
Using this method, you may be able to boot a newer Puppy.