whats the fsckme.flg and what does it do?

Booting, installing, newbie
N3ON.SAMURAI

whats the fsckme.flg and what does it do?

#1 Post by N3ON.SAMURAI »

Hi all,

This is probably a really easy question, so easy that no one else seems to have asked it.

I have done a full install onto a hdd /dev/sda and while browsing the hdd i noticed in / a file appeared. not sure how long it had been there, or when it got there, infact i think on the refresh of the directory it showed itself. Anyway what is the fsckme.flg there for?

As far as im aware, the machine has been performing very well, without any improper shutdowns or errors.

Im new to puppy. Have been a long time ubuntu user, and once i heard it was compatible with lucid repos, and was small, fast and versatile i was interested. so interested i spent all weekend installing and playing around. i have now remastered my own puppy with the java build from sun, latest libreoffice and a few other apps that i use at work... and it was so eaasy, brilliant job and congrats to all the people who had a hand in making the puppy distribution. (sorry, still gushing over this new found os).

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

try

Code: Select all

grep -n -i fsckme /etc/rc.d/*
for further information

duke93535

fsckme.flg file

#3 Post by duke93535 »

Why the fsckme.flg file. My simple answer.

It is a flagging system to start a file system check if it is found during the startup boot. It is removed in the shutdown, if the shutdown is correct. This way you don’t go thru a file system check of your save file if it is not needed on booting.

duke

N3ON.SAMURAI

#4 Post by N3ON.SAMURAI »

Thanks for the replys,

My system always shuts down and starts up correctly without issue (as far as im aware)

The grep command gave me a few lines telling me that it changed ree to flg and beyond that i havent had enough coffee to work out what else it does.

The file itself just contains root,ext3 though i have an ext4 system

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Go to my blog:

http://bkhome.org/blog/

Type "fsckme" in the search box, tick "by content" then do the search.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

N3ON.SAMURAI

i think i understand now

#6 Post by N3ON.SAMURAI »

Ok so the file is put there when the system isnt shut down correctly. this may have something to do with me running an ext4 file system as i kept getting a msg about it not being able to be checked on boot.

At the time i had a full install, i have now changed to a frugal install and all seems to be good.

duke93535

#7 Post by duke93535 »

Since, I use a full installs on a reiser file system, I have no need of the file system check as it is. I used to have power failure about 15 times a week. I have had no improper shutdown issues in six years of running Puppy this way.

I simply remark out the “improper shutdown check

N3ON.SAMURAI

#8 Post by N3ON.SAMURAI »

So far, using ext3 on a frugal install, it hasnt shown up again. Im going to test a frugal install for a while and see how it goes (i am worried about running out of space in the sfs file).

If this happens ill switch back to full install and see if it pops up again.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

N3ON.SAMURAI wrote:So far, using ext3 on a frugal install, it hasnt shown up again. Im going to test a frugal install for a while and see how it goes (i am worried about running out of space in the sfs file).

If this happens ill switch back to full install and see if it pops up again.
You can resize the save file used in frugal installs for storage.
Menu->utility->resize personal storage file

duke93535

#10 Post by duke93535 »

On my frugal installs I regularly enlarge the save file to 2Gb with no ill effects and others have gone even larger. I always keep a gzipped compressed backup of my save file with ext3 file system, as a safeguard. About the only advantage I see of a full install is a 5 to 10 second faster boot time.

The layering problems that sometimes occur with multiple .sfs installed in the older Puppies seems to be in the past.

duke

N3ON.SAMURAI

#11 Post by N3ON.SAMURAI »

Thanks for that tip. Ive been searching for a few days on enlarging the sfs file. Cant believe that i didnt find much, and that would be because its right under my nose. Should have seen that sooner. thanks :)

ricgal

fsckme.flg

#12 Post by ricgal »

So I found this forum looking for the same information.

The contents of my fsckme.flg are:

sda7,ext4,/lupusave-51.3fs

I have a frugal install on that partition, but right now I am accessing it with a version lupu520 (?) mini DVD-rw written as multisession, and I hope to write back to the DVD. I was thinking of renaming the lupusave-51.3fs with a different file extension, to see if that would let me write back to DVD.

first, I will look at the boot options.

enhu

#13 Post by enhu »

Did a frugal install and the file kept staying even when i did a proper shutdown. Could it be a defective hard drive?

tried

grep -n -i fsckme /etc/rc.d/*
result is:

/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown:34:#100911 fsckme.err filename changed to fsckme.flg. see also initNEW, rc.sysinit, init (initramfs).
/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown:135:if [ -f /fsckme.flg ];then
/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown:138:   rm -f /fsckme.flg
/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown:140:   echo -n 'MAXIMAL' >> /fsckme.flg #read by /sbin/initNEW
/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown:143:  rm -f /fsckme.flg
/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown:146:[ -f /initrd${PUP_HOME}/fsckme.flg ] && rm -f /initrd${PUP_HOME}/fsckme.flg
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:45:#100911 fsckme.err filename changed to fsckme.flg. see also initNEW, init (initramfs), rc.shutdown.
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:60:#110502 fix creation of owner:group for device nodes. 110503 fix permission fsckme.flg.
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:220: #120717 log maximal mount counts, potentially rc.shutdown can then not delete /fsckme.flg...
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:828:  echo -n "${PDEV1},${DEV1FS}," > /fsckme.flg #ex: sda7,ext3,
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:829:  busybox chmod 666 /fsckme.flg #110503 so non-root can delete it.
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:833:  echo -n "$PUPSAVE" > /initrd${PUP_HOME}/fsckme.flg #ex: sda7,ext3,/pupsave-10MAR2010.2fs
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit:834:  busybox chmod 666 /initrd${PUP_HOME}/fsckme.flg #110503 so non-root can delete it.
is this something useful to resolve my issue?

L18L

#14 Post by L18L »

enhu wrote:...resolve my issue?
What is your issue? :roll: