Kernel 2.6 in Puppy 2?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
opel70

Kernel 2.6 in Puppy 2?

#1 Post by opel70 »

Hello,

Since it seems that the NTFS issue has been resolved in the 2.6 kernel, is there any plans on going back to that for Puppy 2? Since it seems that most new development in the Linux driver set is being done on 2.6, it seems that it would be the way to go and move forward from the 2.4 kernel.

Just a thought,

Tim
dominic

#2 Post by dominic »

the 2.6 kernel is bigger than the 2.4 and a touch slower supposedly. i think we should stick with the 2.4 kernel - more things will support it aswell.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

NTFS was the only reason we moved back to the earlier kernel from what I remember AND some people including me found it aprox 30% faster.

Now might be a good time to move forward again . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D
opel70

#4 Post by opel70 »

Lobster wrote:NTFS was the only reason we moved back to the earlier kernel from what I remember AND some people including me found it aprox 30% faster.

Now might be a good time to move forward again . . .
Yeah, I went back looking through some of the postings from that timeframe and it looked like there were two main concerns with moving to the 2.6 kernel: the NTFS corruption being the primary, and less support for older hardware being the secondary.

Now the issue I see is that there seems to be less support for NEWER hardware on the 2.4 kernel.

Again, just thought this might be the time to investigate it again.

Tim
wscarl

Move to 2.6 shall be force by the lost of NEW support in 2.4

#5 Post by wscarl »

opel70 wrote:Now the issue I see is that there seems to be less support for NEWER hardware on the 2.4 kernel. .

Sata HD support is going to be a major problem as ATA HD leave the market. Sata Raid support for linux kernel is becoming important as know olny the cheapest MB's lack SATA raid 0 and 1.
Last edited by wscarl on Fri 31 Mar 2006, 07:40, edited 2 times in total.
wscarl

Re: Move to 2.6 shall be force by the lost of NEW support in

#6 Post by wscarl »

Even the Asus Terminator C3 has sata and Sata DVDRW have hit the market . Only a less than 1/3 (shinking share) of HD produce are ATA- with SATA150 and Sata3.0 taking the bulk of the market.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Yes, I recently went out and bought a new motherboard with SATA and USB2 so I wouldn't be left behind. :)
wscarl

Version naming base on kernel

#8 Post by wscarl »

Version naming base on kernel ei.. Puppy 2.4.31 (if verson before new kernel) A-Z. Hope for Puppy 2.6.16 duel track with Puppy 2.4.31 (and beond) support turn over to puppy fondation and barry leading the delopment of Puppy 2.6.16 and beond.