Frugal Install 5.25 in Ubuntu partition[Solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
ubume2

Frugal Install 5.25 in Ubuntu partition[Solved]

#1 Post by ubume2 »

I've read some posts FAQS etc that besides using LIVECD and not installing, or installing frugally into another partition (Linux) is preferred.

I've installed frugally into an Ubuntu partition. I am getting more checkdisks on booting my Ubuntu after I use Puppy. Does/could there be potential problems because of that? I have not experienced any problems other than that.

Wondering for safety reasons to install LUPUP into its own partition. If I have low RAM better to install on its own partition. higher ram frugally.

Thanks.
Last edited by ubume2 on Sat 21 May 2011, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Frugal installs, of Puppy, are known to not shutdown cleanly, sometimes.
This could be causing the check-disk.
I run all of my frugal installs with the boot option pfix=fsck in the kernel line of the boot loader.
kernel /puppy525/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy525 pfix=fsck
This does a file system check and correction, each time I boot a frugal install.

Is this a big problem?
Well, this seems to work.

Putting Puppy on a different partition, may work to keep Ubuntu wanting to do a check-disk.
aarf

#3 Post by aarf »

Which browser are you using. If it is opera i suggest you put opera on its own partition. Get a opera.bz2 and extract it there. Then run fsck on the unmounted opera partition when you notice any performance issues.
ubume2

re: Frugal Install 5.25 in Ubuntu partition

#4 Post by ubume2 »

bigpup wrote:Frugal installs, of Puppy, are known to not shutdown cleanly, sometimes.
This could be causing the check-disk.
I run all of my frugal installs with the boot option pfix=fsck in the kernel line of the boot loader.
kernel /puppy525/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy525 pfix=fsck
This does a file system check and correction, each time I boot a frugal install.

Is this a big problem?
Well, this seems to work.

Putting Puppy on a different partition, may work to keep Ubuntu wanting to do a check-disk.
It is not a big problem. Thanks for the information. Probably will install in separate partition.
aarf wrote:Which browser are you using. If it is opera i suggest you put opera on its own partition. Get a opera.bz2 and extract it there. Then run fsck on the unmounted opera partition when you notice any performance issues.
I don't use Opera. I use Firefox.
nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

I am just wild guessing. Take the following with big skepticism.

I read that PCLOS one of their very active members had struggled with making the live be used frugal and with persistence using AUFS and that is a bit like what Puppy does with the difference that Barry Kauler has recently came up with a patch and him concentrate on Union FS instead of AUFS?

I am not on the level that I even know if I give this a correct retelling. Read his original Blog posts about it. But PCLOS using one year and then giving up on it and Puppy having been known for not clean shut down some versions ago could support that there is some concern one only need to take a deep look into it. But one need expert insights maybe to get what is going on. PCLOS guy gave up after one year of frustration and Barry recently refer to a patch to me that indicate it is something one need to know all the details of to know what is going on.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Bernie_by_the_Sea

Re: Frugal Install 5.25 in Ubuntu partition

#6 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

ubume2 wrote:I've read some posts FAQS etc that besides using LIVECD and not installing, or installing frugally into another partition (Linux) is preferred.
It's not clear to me why a Linux partition would be preferred. I have my main Puppy, Wary 500, on a FAT32 partition, one that I created specifically for Puppy with the rest of the drive ntfs. I also have Knoppix on a FAT32 partition on a different physical hard drive. I put Mepis and PCLOS in Linux partitions and then stuck Pup 431 in the PCLOS partition and Lucid 520 in the Mepis partition. My flash drive installs are all on FAT32. I can't see any difference in how they function.

It's very, very rare than I get any checkdisks with any version of Puppy but when I do it's almost always with Wary on the FAT32 partition and almost always I know exactly why I get them (Puppy did not shut down properly). When Puppy boots up it puts a checkdisk flag on the partition. Ordinarily getting a checkdisk only means that Puppy didn’t remove that checkdisk flag in that partition as part of its shutdown routine. It does not mean that there are any actual errors anywhere. It’s merely a precaution against a corrupt pupsave file. I assume another distro might recognize that checkdfisk flag but I've never investigated.

It's extremely rare that I run a manual checkdisk or use pfix=fsck to boot especially since I switched to the 3fs format for my pupsave files. I've only had one corrupt pupsave file and that was with the 2fs format. Using automatic correction with pfix=fsck at bootup you may not know that a pupsave file was corrupted (and fixed) until you find something missing or not working in Puppy. Fixing errors does not necessarily mean fixing data in the bad sectors. It only means that the file can be read or written to cleanly.
[color=green]Frugal[/color]: Knoppix 6.4.4 DVD
[color=blue]USB[/color]: DSL 4.4.10
[color=red]Full[/color]: WinXP Pro
Puppy (Feb. 4 - May 12, 2011) led me back to Linux.
ubume2

#7 Post by ubume2 »

For me, the solution is to create a separate ext3 partition on the HD. I then do a frugal install into that new partition.
Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

ubume2 wrote:For me, the solution is to create a separate ext3
partition on the HD. I then do a frugal install into that new partition.
Yeah, but if you do that you can work outside the constraints of the
relatively small size of the pupsave file on a larger native linux partition.

This would mean the perfect preservation of file name, ownership,
permission attributes and special attributes - and if you copy right even
the date and time attribute preservation.

You could make links, and even install packages properly outside the
pupsave file. You could compile on the host partition. You could make
linux files on it and it would be the same as if it were inside the
pupsave file.

Depending on how you work, it would be as if your pupsave file is as
big as the host partition.

~
nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Ubume has started a new thread about combining many puppy in the puppy partition. but want help with how to set it up so it does not make a huge ubuntu boot page. I suggested he chainload to a grub4dos on that partition.

You guys know such things better than me so hope you go there and suggest things. link in ubume's profile or in mine even.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though