How to use stalone tray?

Booting, installing, newbie
sjsrikanth

How to use stalone tray?

#1 Post by sjsrikanth »

Hi
Im using puppy 5.2.5 , my wm is jwm, Im not satisfied with the jwm tray. I want to try stalonetray but I have no idea how to add launchers and applets to it any help will be appreciated.
Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

You could try asking 'pri' or 'Q5s':

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 689b9c80d1
`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

Without going into too much detail..

Stalonetray (a 'stand alone' systray or dock) is kind of a specialized area much like Windows 'notification area' - some apps like Opera, a few audio players, Osmo, Xpad, some chat/mail and so on will minimize to this systray (freeing up space on the regular taskbar or panel depending on your particular setup). Most apps that can minimize to the systray have a specialized r-click menu for various functions. The idea behind a systray is to have the app that's minimized take up a very small area and yet have some functionality beyond what is possible in other areas like the taskbar. There are also some specialized 'dock-apps' like system monitors and such if you search for them (in my opinion the majority of the sysmons are of limited value compared to say conky or gkrellm since they're so small and you need to hover or click to use them effectively).

Stalonetray is mainly for those window managers that have no built-in systray (like afterstep, blackbox, the standard openbox, pekwm or wmx and so forth). It should have a man-file included to help you set it up.

Launchers? That would be a taskbutton in the jwm tray system (usually) and generally not dock/systray-related .. you can edit a taskbutton to do almost anything and use whatever icon you please. There are also other nice launchers such as wbar.

Also other panels like tint, lxpanel and fbpanel that have various features, but (again in my experience) they simply can't compete with a native tray system like jwm's in terms of efficiency. That being said, occasionally an icon won't show in the jwm systray - sometimes it helps to load another app like xpad and quit it (xpad) and then the icon may show..

There can only be one systray/dock running so if you do want to use stalonetray you will have to disable jwm's dock (by editing /root/.jwmrc-tray file, as I recall it is the "dock/" part .. make a backup if there isn't one already .. and reload jwm).

Hope that Helps a bit :) oya "How do I add Program icons to it?" - if you have say Opera loaded, Ctrl+h hides older versions to the systray (the dingbatty new one gives history but otherwise I like 11 a lot except for all the Unite and Sync and Turbo junkifies most jpgs when I have images on :roll: )

a) stalonetray 076 is actually easier for me to deal with since it has an rc to give decent geometry and some sample settings.
b)(my) usual cmd:
stalonetray -p -t -d none -v --sticky
c) for the man (or help on options):
stalonetray --info
Attachments
stalonetray-0.7.6.zip
if the one in Ian's link doesn't satisfy, here's the archive I use..
(106 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
sjsrikanth

#4 Post by sjsrikanth »

Thank you f00 ..... thats good load of information.