Portege 2000 which puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
popguy

Portege 2000 which puppy?

#1 Post by popguy »

Hallo, so back to the beginning. My Portege 2000 laptop (P3 750, 512, 20) is giving me trouble to use a later version of puppy after 4.3.1. I hoped for 5.2 wary but noi joy, it hangs while booting off my pcmcia cd drive. I did receive a couple of good suggestions, like trying Legacy os2 but unfortunately it gets to the stage where it detects network, modems etc, and it hangs there too. With 5.2.8, i get the "ISOLINUX.." writing flashing on the screen, then it hangs. With 5.01 onwards, i can install it, but my wireless card (an orinoco_cs) won't work, even if i try putting it the windows .inf file. What seemed a good suggestion too was to unplug my hard drive, put it into an adapter or another pc, mount puppy, then plug it into my laptop again. Unfortunately, my hard drive is 1.8", with a delicate ribbon connection, which i would prefer no to touch, and plus it's hard to find an adapter.

The other option i was considering, (sigh) is sticking to 4.3.1, but then I was unable to install the latest pets such as chrome. Any ideas? thanks!

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

I can only suggest a bit of tedium

Each ISO you test that fails for whatever reason....start a thread and get the help to get it sorted - the orinoco wireless should be easy enough

Else, try things like quirky/wary, ttuuxxx's 214X top9, joe's TXZ_pup 4.5, 01micko's slacko5.3, lupu 525, polarpup005, icepup014/015, macpup, dpup, lighthouse, rexbang, pussy, 3headeddog,

......so many to try.....each will no doubt have some issues

That's part of the fun of it...... :wink:

Aitch :)

popguy

#3 Post by popguy »

thanks! i'll try, see what turns up!