#1 Post by Mathiasdm »

Blu-ray
So... How long until we see puppy on these? :P
Mathiasdm

#2 Post by Mathiasdm »

Come on :-P Imagine a Multi-session Puppy Blu-ray! *drools*
Nathan F

#3 Post by Nathan F »

I can't find any of the pertinent links, but some of the problems are that the new technology is being deployed in ways that are extremely closed and unfriendly to OpenSourceSoftware, mainly because of anti-theft paranioa in the Motion Picture and Music industry. We will see Linux using this stuff but there will be a battle over it for sure.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I just read somewhere that Sony's first blu-ray drive will debut at around $1500.
Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

We should develop our own storage medium, but not allow anything with any form of D.R.M. (or C.R.A.P. as one person put it) to be used with it in mass-distrobution situations. Random Ryker could use it, but not Sony.

As for the medium to use, perhaps it could be derived from chitin? I'm sure Lobster would shell out some test material....

How about storage using neurons? Store your Puppy in your own brain, where it will hopefully never be stolen, compromized, or lost.

Personally, I'm still in the CD age. When I get a new computer, it will have a dvd-burner and I'll progress a notch. But for now, the 4.5 to 9 gigabytes offered by DVDs is still pretty darn huge to me.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Yes, a DVD is plenty of storage, for now anyway. I find that I start a new DVD to test the latest version of Puppy long before I fill up the old DVD.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Pizzasgood wrote: As for the medium to use, perhaps it could be derived from chitin? I'm sure Lobster would shell out some test material....

How about storage using neurons? Store your Puppy in your own brain, where it will hopefully never be stolen, compromized, or lost.
I have a few old shells (previous molts) lying around
There is an experimental CPU that is combined with rat neurons. The idea is that complex behaviour that animals do well can be incorprated (hardwired). As usual it is military funded.

I recently upgraded to recordable DVD (I am told the technology is more reliable) and intend to start using multisession. In Puppy1.08 I was able to just remove the CD recorder and pop in the DVD (generic / white goods / unbranded) and it just worked. I have a stack of RW-DVD's which should keep me going for a while . . .

By the time Blue Ray is reasonably usable and affordable I hope to be using non moving technology for storage - that is high capacity CF or USB or stored online or on phone
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D