Puppy 525 whith inbuilt Windows XP

Using applications, configuring, problems
newwobiwilli

Puppy 525 whith inbuilt Windows XP

#1 Post by newwobiwilli »

Puppy Linux is really good. But with inbuilt Windows it ist just a little bit better. So I've built my own puppy with inbuilt Windows XP. I'm using Puppy 525, Kernel 2.6.33.2.. I don't use a pusave file because I don't want that anyone else is changing my system. Especially viruses for Windows.

So I've tried to built my Puppylinux with Windows in it. Success!

I'm using a Laptop with 4GB Ram and 4GB linux-swap-file

First off all, start a fresh Puppy and get the SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet.
Next get virtualbox-4-0-0-lucid.sfs.
Install VirtualBox by using the SFS installer.
Create a virtual machine with 512MB Ram in root. Harddiskspace must be 2GB (not more)
Install Windows XP on your new created virtual machine.
Make your installed XP ready for use. For the first use don't install any applications, because the file of the virtual machine might getting too big.

Leave the virtual machine and close VitualBox.

Now create a new Puppy CD. But remember, that by doing this whithout pupsave file you had to stop at the point when puppy says: ..have created a directory root in /tmp

Go in /tmp and delete the directory root. Copy your own root directory in /tmp (it now contains your inbuilt XP)

After this click the OK Button.

when puppy says ..have created /etc in /tmp

Go in /tmp and delete the directory /etc. Copy your own /etc directory in /tmp

Before clicking OK, you must edit the hidden file /tmp/etc .XLOADED from true to false.

Now click OK and burn your CD. Now Puppy and Windows get married!

If you want anything to change on your system you must first do the changes and burn a new CD or built only the sfs file by Creating a new Live CD.

Remember, always leave puppy whithout changes! So you are really sure that is no virus, backdoor or other terrible dog in your system and puppy and windows have a happy marriage.

Now can use any portable apps for Windows from stick, USB and so on. I know, that many of it runs still in wine, but not all. Now you getting free of limitations.

Have a fun! Greetings from Wolfsburg, Germany.

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Great idea, I did the same thing in 2008 with Puppy Barebones 3.01..
If you pare down windows enough it will all fit on a CD..
But the VirtualBox USB version allows the "Virtualize this key" option, read/write access, and room for a large savefile.. :D
I use a MultiPup ISO with the VBox USB stick, to demo 20+ different Puppies on Windows, without having to reboot... :wink:
In `08, I named mine "UndercoverPup", and set it up so if you booted jwm you had access to the Puppy desktop, but if you booted icewm, you got VirtualBox in "headless" mode, a seamless XP desktop... You make your configurations, change to icewm, and reboot.. After that it boots to "XP"...
It was for a business whose owner wanted his employees to believe they were running XP, and have access to copy/save/view their data... 8)

Remember that you cannot share that ISO 'legally' with the Windoze .vdi included.. My user had a business copy of WinXP and made his own .vdi`s....
Also, you can use MultiPup to create ISO`s with many different Puppies and boot it with VBox, to a Grub multiboot menu...

Ironically, I was playing around with it today...
Booting directly from the stick, into 3.01, into XP 'headless' ran fast on my 2.2ghz 2gb ram box..
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

RetroTechGuy

Re: Puppy 525 whith inbuilt Windows XP

#3 Post by RetroTechGuy »

newwobiwilli wrote:Puppy Linux is really good. But with inbuilt Windows it ist just a little bit better. So I've built my own puppy with inbuilt Windows XP. I'm using Puppy 525, Kernel 2.6.33.2.. I don't use a pusave file because I don't want that anyone else is changing my system. Especially viruses for Windows.

So I've tried to built my Puppylinux with Windows in it. Success!
Danke schön, newwobiwilli

I may give this a try with Win98. I've wanted to virtualize it, and make the install go away...this rather inspires me to try it. I just have a very few software packages that I still use, that run under Windows.
I'm using a Laptop with 4GB Ram and 4GB linux-swap-file

First off all, start a fresh Puppy and get the SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet.
Next get virtualbox-4-0-0-lucid.sfs.
Install VirtualBox by using the SFS installer.
Create a virtual machine with 512MB Ram in root. Harddiskspace must be 2GB (not more)
Is this sitting on a Fat32? Or is virtualbox limited to 2GB?

(Fat32 will support either 2GB or 4GB files, depending on the software accessing it/writing to it)

NTFS and Ext2 will support larger files...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

A search on this forum will show other older threads about Puppy, XP and Virtualbox.
I do it and I think several others do as well.
I use it from a USB drive so I can have a "Stand Alone XP" that I can boot on client machines.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

ragaman

#5 Post by ragaman »

XPlite will give you a smaller footprint, errr pawprint.

newwobiwilli

#6 Post by newwobiwilli »

Ive limited the HD of Windows to 2GB because I recognized, when the PUP-file is greater than 1GB ive got a Kernel-Error. I dont know why. I am working every time without PUP-save file. Not by the limits of FAT, the vmi-file cant be bigger than 2GB because Puppy uses his own fs. Ive build just with Puppy 412 such a Puppy by using VMPlayer. But still having the same problem when the PUP-file becomes greater than 1GB. I know the downsizing method of XPlite and Im using it in Puppy 412. Works very fine.

At home I dont have a Windows system on my PC. Still having a Windows licence and hating reboot I thought that is an idea to build a combined system.

Using Freedos with linld I can start with several Puppies by using simple Batch-files. Therefore I need only 3 lives more than I have.
Thanks for your tips, and your attention.
DOS forever! Dead and still alive. Greetings from Wolfsburg, Germany.