Installing JRE blew up SeaMonkey

Booting, installing, newbie
mashaffer

Installing JRE blew up SeaMonkey

#1 Post by mashaffer »

I think I shot myself in the foot (wife will be miffed). I was attempting to install jre (1.7 IIRC) and ended up blowing up seamonkey. The only way I could figure out to fix it (ham fisted newbie alert) was to uninstall jre and reinstall (a couple of times before succeeding) seamonkey.

Well I got it working but all of our mail configuration is gone. Is there any way to recover that or am I stuck redoing it all from scratch?

Also does anyone know why installing jre should have blown up seamonkey in the first place? I don't remember the exact error message but I think that it was looking for mozilla-bin or something in /usr/lib/mozilla and not finding it.

mike

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Hi mashaffer,

welcome to the kennels ; -)

Also does anyone know why installing jre should have blown up seamonkey in the first place?

which version of Puppy, and where did you get the jre package from?

It might be worth looking in ~/.mozilla for mail settings. its a hidden directory so you will need to press the eye icon ; -)

davids45

#3 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Re the lost mail issue:

I keep my mail and bookmarks on a separate 'data' partition so these can shared by all the Pups on my computers (and Windows if installed - well, XP anyway). For example, I have a Mail directory on /mnt/sda5/Data while different Pups are on sda1, sda2, sda3, etc., with about thirty Frugals on sda7, but they all use this Mail directory on sda5.

If you only have one Pup-partition, set up or copy your Mail into, say, /root/my_documents/Mail, anywhere away from the .mozilla directory.

Having your mail stored in the /root/.mozilla directory can mean your mail is lost if the directory is "upgraded".

For each Pup/Seamonkey, I :
1) open the Seamonkey Mail & Newsgroups window (doesn't work from the browser window),
2) go to the Edit>Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings and
3) re-set the 'Local directory' for the 'Local Folders' and for your account-name > 'Server settings' folder (whichever you use for mail) to this separate data partition - use the <Browse> function to set it.

So now your seamonkey mail is not stored in the .mozilla directory. If you want to try this method and still have some old mail files (mine almost go back to last century), import these into your new seamonkey after you have set up the new mail location.

For extra safety, back-up your new mail directory every so often.

Once you get the hang of this, and want to play with other Pups, it is even easier to do by simply linking your seamonkey profile to a common profile on a data directory.

Good luck with handling and holding onto the mail,

David S.

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

Hi davids45,

thanks for the really useful guide - good to keep stuff outside the pupsave

8)