colour cast on monitor after using Xorg wizard SOLVED????

Using applications, configuring, problems
titus

colour cast on monitor after using Xorg wizard SOLVED????

#1 Post by titus »

Hello,
Lupu 528 with Xfce4. Very pleased with it. I was trying to get xscreensaver to work after downloading the Debian packages. The result was a black screen and the message: Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
I checked the config and load GLX was present so I tried Xorg video wizard.
now my monitor has a green cast over it as though being viewed through cheap 1950s sunglasses. It's not the monitor or the graphics card as a live Lupu disc renders colour perfectly.
I'm stumped!
Anyone with any ideas?
Last edited by titus on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Hey! I may be old, but I'm slow.
Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hi Titus- did you remove the program? This a full or frugal install? ext2 fs? Have you ran a file system check?

From a shell: xgamma displays what?
titus

#3 Post by titus »

Hello Semme,
Thanks for the input.
I shifted all the xscreensaver stuff from /usr/bin to /temp when I got the problem although there was no problem until I ran Xorg video wizard.
I checked xgamma and got Red 1.202 green 1.000 and blue 1.000.
It's a full installation Ext 2.
I'll do fschk tomorrow, it's late (for a farmer) and I'm weary.
Thanks, Titus.
Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Titus- if an fsck doesn't cut it and you're running an upgraded video driver, try reinstalling (the driver).. more times than not this'll straighten things out. The other option <not that I was able to make my alterations stick> is to adjust gamma settings in Xorg wizard under your *setup* menu.

If this flies without too much adoe..

Code: Select all

e2fsck -f -n -v /dev/*#
Roll with:

Code: Select all

e2fsck -f -p -v /dev/*#
Till then- rest well Titus....
titus

#5 Post by titus »

Hello again Semme,
Busy day today, bad storm yesterday, another one coming tomorrow.
Thank you for the script, I used both versions but ended up running fsck manually. I fixed all the problems that were presented to me but there is no change. Fiddling with the Gamma still leaves me with a colour cast. I can obviously brighten the screen by raising the values but I can't get the colour balance right.
I'm not running an upgraded driver (as far as I know).
I'm still stumped and I feel a re-install coming on.
Thanks again, Titus
titus

#6 Post by titus »

I was just getting ready to re-install Lupu or try Precise when I decided to play about a little more. By altering (dramatically) the saturation and brightness on the desktop settings and with much juggling of the gamma set-up I have arrived at a useable screen.
I'd still be grateful for any input because I don't know what went wrong, I don't like the way I overcame it and I'm not confident that it was the right thing to do.
However, it's approaching time for the last feed of the ponies so I'll sign off.
Regards, Titus.
Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Hey Titus- I :oops: forgot to mention those cmds should've been run from a live boot (*# found via: fdisk -l).

Fiddling aside, look under the drivers tab of *setup Pup* >> Quickpet and test your graphics card.

What's it suggest?

==

Note: It may be helpful to go into desktop settings and use WM Switcher >> Openbox..
npierce

#8 Post by npierce »

titus wrote:I'd still be grateful for any input because I don't know what went wrong.
At least four other Lupu 528 users have reported a green tint when setting a 16-bit colour depth (resolution choices ending in "x16", such as "1024x768x16") in xorgwizard. Perhaps when you ran xorgwizard (a.k.a. "Xorg Video Wizard") you chose a resolution with a 16-bit colour depth.

Do you have an ATI Radeon video card? Some of the others who had this problem had ATI cards and use the radeon driver. So this problem may be related to the ATI hardware and/or the radeon driver supplied with Lupu 528.

If you are happy with your solution, you can certainly stick with it. Otherwise you could try running xorgwizard again and choosing a 24-bit or 32-bit colour depth to see if it makes a difference.

Here are some other reports related to this problem:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 412#601412
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80317
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 215#647215
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 424#652424

Hope the ponies weathered the storms OK.
titus

#9 Post by titus »

Hello Folks,
My apologies for the gap in communications, very busy with one thing and another.
Yes, thank you, the ponies, horses, sheep, goats, llamas, donkeys and the one old alpaca all weathered the storms safely.
Re: The colour cast problem.
Yes, it's an ATI card.
No, resolution was set to 24bit (although probe claims "may not be suitable for card" or something like that)
I also tried removing xfce and going to JWM with no change.
I spent what spare time I had over the last few days trying Precise but it seems to lack a lot of the applications that my work uses and I found it unstable on my PC (pretty though).
I re-installed Lupu, went back to JWM and everything is fine again. It takes a little time to re-install the applications I favour but at least it gives me the opportunity to chuck out the junk in my files (I back up everything to a separate HDD).
Thanks for your help everyone, and for your concern for my wife's zoo, the creatures mentioned above only scratch the surface of the species sharing our valley.
Puppy users are the best forum members.
npierce

#10 Post by npierce »

Titus,

You're welcome.

I'm glad to hear that your Puppy is fine again (and the other creatures as well).