The kernal command line is "root=/dev/ram0
PFILE=pup001-none-262144"
which rapidly scrolls several screens of boot type messages
(sorry, too fast to read although towards the end I do see a
"mounting pup_002.sfs on /dev/hds5") then the last two lines say
"0x0111 640x480x16
Starting X with video mode 0x0 and mouse psaux"

before Puppy2 clears the screen and ... nothing ... no disk
activity, screen is blank ... no response to keyboard ... nothing.
I have to reboot via switch off/on.

Q) If 640x480x16 is my resolution, what is video mode 0x0111 ?

Is the video likely to be the problem ... or does anyone have any other
suggestions ? Thanks !
toddyjoe

#2 Post by toddyjoe »

What is the video chipset for that model Thinkpad? I have a 1997 Thinkpad 310ED from around the same era with a 1MB Chips & Technologies 65550 chipset. I have problems with the Xorg for Puppy 2 no matter how I configure it, even though the Puppy 1 series worked fine with Xorg after some tweaking. Xvesa only works at 640x480x16 with both Puppy series on my computer.
MU

#3 Post by MU »

1MB Chips & Technologies 65550 chipset.
What driver does it use in xorg.conf?
toddyjoe

#4 Post by toddyjoe »

MU wrote:
1MB Chips & Technologies 65550 chipset.
What driver does it use in xorg.conf?
The "chips" driver. The board is identified as a "F65550" manufactured by "Chips and Technologies" in xorg.conf.

Actually, I have an idea what the problem is: the Puppy Desktop Background dotpup that is now incorporated into Puppy 2 but was merely a dotpup for the Puppy 1 series. I found this out after some recent experiments of adding the dotpup to my properly-configured and correctly-working Puppy 1.0.8rc1 running Xorg. Right after I added the dotpup to Puppy 1.0.8rc1 and restarted X in Xorg, the desktop turns all black except for the properly-colored desktop icons. The Start menu coloration becomes a little off as well, sometimes blue-tinted and sometimes green-tinted. The desktop background remains all black regardless of what background image is chosen and what expand/tile/center/stretch options are chosen. The desktop background also remains all black regardless if I choose a solid desktop color and try to change the solid color to something other than black. But if I remove the Puppy Desktop Background dotpup, all goes back to normal with Puppy 1.0.8rc1 running Xorg. When I have time, I will try to strip the Puppy Desktop Background stuff from Puppy 2 to see if that does the trick.
MU

#5 Post by MU »

the background is set in /root/.xinitrc
You could comment this line with the "mp"-editor:

#new background setter created by mu...
/usr/local/Puppybackground/puppybackgroundmenu saved &

I will try to release a modification of the backgroundsetterthis weekend, maybe that fixes your problem:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8414

Can you set the background correctly with "gqview"?
It is available as Dotpup, and I use code from it in the update.
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/download.php?id=189

Mark
toddyjoe

#6 Post by toddyjoe »

MarK, I will gqview tonight to see if that works with both Puppy 2 and the Puppy 1.0.8rc1 after the Puppy Desktop Background dotpup is added. Look for a follow-up from me this weekend.
toddyjoe

#7 Post by toddyjoe »

Mark, just to follow-up on this thread, I am able to set the background on my Thinkpad 310ED with no problem using gqview found in the gqview.pup. In fact, the resolution of the background pictures using gqview is even better than if I do not use it.

Previously, if I used a vanilla Puppy 1.0.8rc1 version and manually configured Xorg to get 800x600x8, the background would have good resolution but the desktop icons would appear discolored the first time the Xserver loaded. I usually had to restart X immediately after the Puppy desktop loaded in order to get the desktop icons to appear properly with the correct colors. However, the instant that I restart X, the desktop background image would be a little more block-like in appearance with less definition than before. Now, if I install gqview.pup and use it to set the desktop background image, not only do the desktop icons appear correctly but the background image keeps its correct resolution and definition. Gqview definitely works very well with the Chips & Technologies 65550 video chipset and "chips" driver on my Thinkpad and works far better than the other Puppy Desktop Background dotpup incorporated into Puppy2.