Reading HUGE directory on 3TB USB 2.0 drive [solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
danneauxs

Reading HUGE directory on 3TB USB 2.0 drive [solved]

#1 Post by danneauxs »

Hi,
I have a 3TB external USB drive (it's 3.0 capable but the PC only has 2.0 USB).
It's about 2/3 full. I have one particular directory that gives Puppy 5.28 fits.

It's about 900+ GB and there's over 90,000 files/directories on it. When I open this directory it shows blank. I don't know if it's being indexed or what but after 3-4 minutes it's still no showing anything. Some of the other directories on the same parent level with this one are pretty big and show blank too but if I reopen them about 30 seconds later the have the correct content.

Oh, using the built in file manager. Haven't tried any other to see if they work better yet.

I didn't realize this Dir. had gotten so huge. I'll probably chop it up since even XP has a wait if I haven't rebooted the pc or at least the drive in a few weeks.

Not really a problem but interested in the why.

TIA
Danneauxs

EDIT: Ok, not sure what happened but after a reboot, actually a reboot to XP to poke at the drive to make sure it was OK, and back to puppy it loads instantly now. Not srue what caused the problem before as I had only been running puppy for about an hour. Drive is healthy too so... oh well.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

How about a little more information, like what kind of files are in the directory that won't list and do they show in Windows?

I'll assume that by 'built-in file manager' you mean ROX.

danneauxs

#3 Post by danneauxs »

Well, 90K files -
mp3, wmv, wma, flaac, txt, doc, html, nzb, rtf, jgp, gif, tif, bmp, epub, zip, rar, dll, msi, ini, x3f, tar, par2, inf, mp4, mkv, acm, reg,
That's about all I can think of off the top of my head but not all by any means.

As my Edit shows I just needed to reboot although I had restarted X a few times which I think amounts to an unmount and mount cycle? It wasn't a single occurance but each time Puppy had been running for a few hours at least. I used to have problems with big big drives in XP if I didn't turn off indexing. Was just wondering what goes on in Linux.
Yup ROX.

They do list in windows but as I meantioned sometimes XP doesn't like it, actually the drive itself, if I go a week or two without a reboot or at least ejecting the drive then reconnecting.

I'm gonna leave this solved unless it repeats 2-3 more times.

TIA
Danneauxs

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Is it one 3tb big partition ? Is it formatted ntfs ? Watch out that 32bit OS can't address more than some 2tb . If there are more files, they may show up corrupted. Older ROX 2.6.1 had difficulties on my side opening directories with more than 2000--3000 dirs. Scrolling down stopped at some stage.

danneauxs

#5 Post by danneauxs »

Ooops yes I should have mentioned that info.

1 partiion formated nfts.

I originally got it to plug into my media player connected to my TV. I put all my movies, music, and photos on it. Now it's connected to my pc as part backup part storage.

The really bid directory is the storage one so the root of the drive looks like:
1_movies
2_music
3_photos
4_TV Series
5_storage <---- the junk draw of the drive!

I guess I might move some of the subdirs to the parent. That might help. I'd repartion it but I just have no where to back up all that data "just in case".

THANKS
Danneauxs