How do I install newer AMD drivers on puppy precise 5.7.1?

Booting, installing, newbie
thehulkk

How do I install newer AMD drivers on puppy precise 5.7.1?

#1 Post by thehulkk »

A little background. I'm not that new with linux, I know some commands that I've learned from walkthroughs, but I'm not a linux expert. I even have some background in programming.

My goal here is to use puppy precise 5.7.1 to run a scrypt miner build for crypto currencies. I could go with linux mint or ubuntu, and make everything easier for me, but that's not how I work. But If I can't make it work, they I'll go the other direction. This is more of a learning experience for me.

The reason I like puppy linux is how fast it boots up, and the low memory usage. I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I really like it. So back to my question. I know there are a lot of walkthroughs on how to install amd drivers with ubuntu. I couldn't find any on puppy precise. I know there are some limitation on the latest drivers that doesn't support the older kernels and xorg for linux.

The graphics card that i'll be installing is the xfx r9 270x. I would have to install the AMD Catalyst 13.11 beta and the amd app sdk 2.9. Do you think this is doable or I should just use another OS?

ardvark

Re: How do I install newer AMD drivers on puppy precise 5.7.1?

#2 Post by ardvark »

thehulkk wrote:The graphics card that i'll be installing is the xfx r9 270x. I would have to install the AMD Catalyst 13.11 beta and the amd app sdk 2.9. Do you think this is doable or I should just use another OS?
Hi...

While I have no idea concerning the application, the driver itself should be doable, to use your expression :wink: , you just need to make sure you have a kernel version that falls within AMD's specifications, as well other requirements. See the driver's information sheet here.

Also, if I remember correctly, the fglrx driver is also available in the Puppy Package Manager, although I'm not sure if it will be 13.11 or not.

You can check your kernel version by opening a terminal and typing in...

Code: Select all

uname -r
Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

thehulkk

#3 Post by thehulkk »

From the amd website I need to meet these requirements
Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.14)
Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.12)
glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications

Puppy precise meets the first 3 requirements. Not sure on the last one. I did read some where that it is standard for ubuntu.

Okay, before I created this post, I tried to install the amd catalyst on my laptop as a test. When I run it, it wouldn't detect puppy precise as ubuntu/precise, but as slackware. So I didn't continue the installation because I was afraid if I tried I would ruin the puppy setup I got going. So I'm going to try that on another usb.
I also tried to follow one of the walkthroughs for ubuntu precise from command, it always get stuck saying the architecture is not supported even though I was building it as ubuntu/precise and i downloaded for the x86 arch.
Thanks for the help. More advice is welcomed.

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

thehulkk wrote:From the amd website I need to meet these requirements
Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.14)
Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.12)
glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications

Puppy precise meets the first 3 requirements. Not sure on the last one. I did read some where that it is standard for ubuntu.
Hi...

I found this thread concerning POSIX, there may be more. It's a bit dated so it may or may not work with your setup.

Bear in mind that Puppy is not Ubuntu or Debian based so some things work, others don't. :wink:

Regards...

thehulkk

#5 Post by thehulkk »

I took the plunge, and try to install amd driver on another usb with puppy precise I follow some of the instructions from this website http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/di ... 325873942/, specifically installing dependencies needed to build the catalyst. After making sure all dependencies were installed. I tried

bash *.run --buildpkg ubuntu/precise
but it didn't work so I tried

bash *.run --force install
The installation went through with errors, when I checked the Ati log, It said something about not finding the headers for the kernel 3.9. I was going to post a copy of the log but I rebooted, and now when puppy loads up , it's just a black screen. I kind of knew it was going to happen but now I have to go through the whole process again. Unless there is a way to get out of xorg, and go to terminal or shell. Can someone give me hand? Thanks in advanced.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Ok the magic key is the need for the kernel headers...and xorg too for that matter so you need devx and the kernel sources to match yer pup... these are excessively big files (I won't mention the 75% reduction possible as it upsets people :D ) so be ready to handle them :) Once the driver is built you can put them to one side since you don't want puppy to triple in size do you ....

mike

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Devx and kernel source files for Precise are here:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... s-precise/
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

thehulkk

#8 Post by thehulkk »

I side loaded the kernel source version 3.9, but the installer still doesn't detect the headers. I'm also trying to get the installer to build the package for ubuntu precise, so it can build a compatible catalyst for puppy precise, but still can't do it. When I look for kernel in the puppy package installer, it shows kernel 3.9 is installed, and kernel headers 3.2 are installed. I'm stuck in here.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Don't you have a "linux-headers" listing in PPM? Load the devx from here and try again.

thehulkk

#10 Post by thehulkk »

The installer keeps looking for kernel headers 3.9. In the ppm shows puppy precise has kernel header 3.2 installed, but there are no headers for 3.9. My main first problem is that I cannot build the catalyst for ubuntu precise, it keeps saying build not supported, so the only way to go it's doing and --force install.

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

I'm not booted in Precise atm, so, the full output of uname -r?

thehulkk

#12 Post by thehulkk »

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Side loaded the kernel src?.. What's this mean?

And what about the devx.. is she loaded?

What PPM shows as loaded comes via having the appropriate devx loaded.

Those things aren't there otherwise.

Odd :roll: but true.