Frustrated by dependencies

Booting, installing, newbie
tmoulder

Frustrated by dependencies

#1 Post by tmoulder »

Hello all!

At 47000 topics, I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but at 47000 posts, I cant find the needle in the haystack...

I'm running Simplicity Linux V14.1 Desktop and trying to install VLC media player. The Puppy Package Manager has always been particularly challenging for me, too many packages with simliar names, and I can't get my head around what to install from which repository.

Perhaps that's the reason that, in all the years I've tried Puppy (and I really want to like Puppy), I've never successfully installed a package. I always get an array of missing dependencies, and while PPM seems to be installing some of them, it never gets them all. There is always some .so1 file missing, some library, something...

Most frustrating of all, while the system can check for these missing items and report them, I cannot figure out how to find and install them. Searching for them in PPM just reports them as not found.

Is there a guide to installing extra software on puppy that includes these extra steps?

Thanks,

TM
bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Nothing seems to be 100% with computer software. Always an if or but to deal with!

Some of the dependency messages are just false and can be ignored.
It really depends on the program, where you got it, and the version of Puppy you have.
Some versions of Puppy may have other files, that perform the same function, as the identified missing dependencies. Also bad package building practices can cause false dependency messages.
If program seems to work OK, can consider dependency messages as errors and disregard.

Something that could be giving you problems with installing packages.
If running Puppy from a frugal install or a live CD/USB.
Make a save file and reboot using this save file.
Make the save file large enough to handle the package download and install.
A typical package download, will take up 2 or 3 times its size, in storage space, during the install process.
So, needs some free space to do this.

This info may help you.

Basic info on installing additional programs.

First read this:
http://puppylinux.com/development/packa ... gement.htm
http://puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager, that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
(Limited to 5 at one time)
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories at top of PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program thread.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)
mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

There are times when wizard make the job harder then doing it yourself.

Quick rundown...
I want a program.... if I search debian and lmms for example I get here
http://packages.debian.org/sid/lmms
Could do the same for ubuntu...very similar.

You get a page with downloads for your program AND a list of dependencies. If you are looking at a release that matches your pup (sid, wheezy and so on) then some are already in puppy like libc. The ones you don't have have links to get them. for 32 bit you go for i386.

The magic tool in all of this is ldd and the terminal
try
ldd /usr/bin/leafpad for example (can be a library too)
and you will get a list of dependencies including 'not found' for those missing ones....for those you can pop back to debian or ubuntu and get them.

thats it...installing software...if you grab a pet and it does not run..ldd will show why normally and you do the same..one technique covers all .

Humans make great wizards...they handle variations and quirks much more competently than even the smartest bash script.

hope that helps a bit

mike