Android got me thinking

Booting, installing, newbie
TechNot

Android got me thinking

#1 Post by TechNot »

Hay Yall,

It took awhile to soak in I guess .. that my android phone was actually running Linux software and that got me thinking ...

If Linux had progressed to the point of Android maybe it was time I gave it a serious look. A friend gave me an old scratched up disc that has puppy 525 on it .... stuck it in my old thinkpad with XP on it and here I am

WOW .... almost a zip zap its done kinda thing

I have it on a 16gb usb and so far everything seems to be running smoothly

wifi,sound,screen res all worked right away... it boots from usb and is up and running in like 30 seconds ... including the wifi connection

XP is due to be dropped from support sometime this year I hear and now I think I really dont care ... Maybe its time I drop XP from this old laptop

Qusetion?? ... although this seems to be working ok. is there something else out there that i shold try on this?
ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey not

which version of puppy is really a matter of personal choice

me, I love slacko

however to really speed up your thinkpad have a look at fatdog BLINDINGLY fast

it is very easy to have more than one puppy on the go to try, I ditched windows for puppy about 3~4 years ago and miss nothing

if you are not keen on loading to the hdd search for ISOBOOTER which will allow multiple puppies on the usb

have fun!

:)
TechNot

#3 Post by TechNot »

I expect that with the loss of support for XP coming I will probably just wipe all the MS stuff off of it ... its only got a 40gb harddrive anyway and XP and all its pretty full

unless im looking in the wrong place fatdog appears to be a 64bit ... this old thing is 32
Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

She mentioned Fatdog in the event you were on a sixty-four. That you're not, any pup really. Slacko, Precise.. whichever likes your hw. As for myself, I run a slightly more current version of yours, 528. Good repo, capable of running semi-current software and, yes.. it likes my hw.
gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

I think @TechNot is testing Puppy 525 on a really old laptop. Therefore he CANNOT run FATDOG on his Laptop which is a 32bit laptop.

Hi @TechNot,
Congratulations getting to this forum and your initial efforts with Puppy. Someone has already mentioned Puppy 528. That Puppy is an last official Puppy that emerged. Today, that Puppy is still support at this thread and if you search that thread, you will find many updates and 7 replacements to bring it up to date with the packages included in that distro.

Also, in case you have NOT already done so on your laptop, you should make a SWAP file/partition (your choice). A SWAP bring some added protection to keep you system running when RAM use increases. This sometimes overlooked step is cause for some user issues on older PCs that they otherwise would not hit.

Enjoy your new learning experience.
EdD

Re: Android got me thinking

#6 Post by EdD »

TechNot wrote:Hay Yall,

It took awhile to soak in I guess .. that my android phone was actually running Linux software and that got me thinking ...

If Linux had progressed to the point of Android maybe it was time I gave it a serious look. A friend gave me an old scratched up disc that has puppy 525 on it .... stuck it in my old thinkpad with XP on it and here I am

WOW .... almost a zip zap its done kinda thing

I have it on a 16gb usb and so far everything seems to be running smoothly

wifi,sound,screen res all worked right away... it boots from usb and is up and running in like 30 seconds ... including the wifi connection

XP is due to be dropped from support sometime this year I hear and now I think I really dont care ... Maybe its time I drop XP from this old laptop

Qusetion?? ... although this seems to be working ok. is there something else out there that i shold try on this?
Hey, Technot. 525 is a good version for XP era machines. i had it on my thinkpad, then tried 528.6 and finally settled on 3 Headed Dog. The great thing about Puppy is that there are so many versions. Click on the little WWW link at the bottom of ally's response to go to her archive. She has thousands of ISOs and keeps adding the latest Puppy versions.

I agree with ally about Slacko puppy. Slacko runs great on every machine I've tried it on. You may want to try Slacko 5.3, and if that works, also try Slacko 5.6 I have 5.6 on an old IBM Netvista P4 and it really works fine. it also runs great on my newer desktops with Dual core processors and 4Gigs of RAM.

Enjoy Puppy.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).
TechNot

#7 Post by TechNot »

wow ...sooo many choises !

For some reason my signature isnt showing up ... this is my laptop.. IBM thinkpad R51 2888HU1 .. pent M 1.5 gb... 2 gb ram ... intel onboard graphics

Its the little 14 inch version

anyway ...now im actually on slako 5.6 (non PAE) :oops: ... I tried to download it and burn it using the puppy 525 but whatever I did locked up the laptop and I had to return to XP to get it

So far the results are good ... everything seems to be working without much fuss ...installed on the 16 gb usb ... boots in about a minute
IBM Thinkpad R51 2888HU1 .. pent M 1.5 .. 2gig ram .. intel graphics

(This is the smaller 14 inch version) detailed specs in WWW link
gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

I have a similar lappie and am running the PAE version of Slacko, also without issues. Both non-PAE and PAE work similarly on this class laptop.

Hope this helps
partsman

Re: Android got me thinking

#9 Post by partsman »

TechNot wrote:Hay Yall,

Welcome aboard TechNot glad you found us ! Have fun ! :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:
TechNot

#10 Post by TechNot »

i chose the non PAE because it mentioned it for machines with less than 4gb ram ..... something like that .... this old thing is maxed out at 2gb so thats why i chose it .

Actually I think im going to redo it with 528 because it sounds like a more mature ...all the kinks worked out version and since Im just beginning its probably best I go with a more refined version

Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

slacko is kinda the agreed latest great of the breed right now. You should think about puppylinux as a label of a concept. There are many many around 1000 different types of pups under the concept. Most fill a special need or added spice. some for different hardware with strange names like ARM Raspberry Pi Mele ..... others power small submarines and robotics.. Others you can talk to or have them talk to you. ....
TechNot

#12 Post by TechNot »

I must say from the viewpoint of a MS zombie trying to look behind the curtain the "1000 different types" is frustratingly confusing to say the least.

It looks like even the 528 version has somewhat splintered into various versions ......how does one who knows almost nothing of linux choose

I found the Linux laptop page only to discover most of the links for my laptop no longer work or are very old versions of OS's no longer supported.

Please dont read this that I'm complaining ... but from the point of view of a fresh recruit it's very tempting to just close the curtain and forget it

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

If there's nothing in particular you need, the standard 528.005 would suffice.
Moat

#14 Post by Moat »

TechNot wrote:I must say from the viewpoint of a MS zombie trying to look behind the curtain the "1000 different types" is frustratingly confusing to say the least.
Agreed, as a relative Linux newb/MS refugee myself - seems if anything threatens the future of Puppy Linux, the fragmentation of resources produced by "1000 different types" just might (as well as the founder's - BarryK - recent "retirement" from direct development/support of the official releases) - IMHO.

But Puppy is small enough (reasonable download) and CD's are cheap enough that it's actually a lot of fun to burn and test drive a bunch of 'em - and doing so, eventually one or three will rise to the top, and stand out as a good choice to stick with for the long haul.

Also, if one has some time to waste, just browsing this forum's latest threads can reveal which Pups are the most actively supported, and rising to the top, themselves - which can help narrow the search for the "perfect Pup". I find it interesting and enjoyable to do so, myself.

And of course, the recommendations from members here - many who have "been there - done that" - helps narrow the choice down, too. A commonality amongst replies can really help key one in to what direction to choose, I've found.

My personal preference is to stick close to BarryK's original, "official" variants (Wary, 01micko's Slacko, and Precise - [/url]http://www.puppylinux.com/[url] ) - my choice being a heavily personalized Precise 5.7.1 Retro running rock-solid on all of my 2005 era laptops and desktop.

I've recently also been quite blown away - and very highly recommend - Carolina 1.2. It's a bigger, more full-featured and extremely well thought-out/tweaked/integrated Puppy that uses the Xfce desktop environment - looks quite un-remarkable on first boot, but with some tweaking of the highly customizable Xfce desktop visuals (including composting effects), can look and function simply outstanding! Runs fast as snot and super low CPU resources on my machines, as well. Excellent choice of day-to-day apps in it's repository, that is continually being added to/supported by Geoffrey and rg66 - these guys do great work, and their latest XPrecise and XSlacko might definitely be worth a spin, too.

p.s. - I recall reading that some of the earlier Pentium M's do not support PAE.

Have fun! I know I have... :D

Bob
gcmartin

#15 Post by gcmartin »

TechNot wrote:... anyway ...now im actually on slako 5.6 (non PAE) :...
I have a similar laptop that runs PhatSlacko with NO issues. Also, I have tested the every PAE version of Slacko on the laptop....also without issues.

If you like Slacko (which I do) you should find comfort without issues with the versions I mentioned.

Here to help
EdD

#16 Post by EdD »

TechNot wrote:I must say from the viewpoint of a MS zombie trying to look behind the curtain the "1000 different types" is frustratingly confusing to say the least.

It looks like even the 528 version has somewhat splintered into various versions ......how does one who knows almost nothing of linux choose

I found the Linux laptop page only to discover most of the links for my laptop no longer work or are very old versions of OS's no longer supported.

Please dont read this that I'm complaining ... but from the point of view of a fresh recruit it's very tempting to just close the curtain and forget it
For me the 1,000 flavors was a good thing, especially since it's hard to find a bad one. IMO, Slacko 5.6 would be good for your machine. you'll get an answer here for any question you may have, but the way I settled on the one I use now was just trying a few. A 79 cent CD and a few hundred megs of bandwidth usage is all it costs to try a version.

Lucids like the 528 are great on XP era machines, and so are the slacko versions I've tried. 3 Headed Dog is a great Lucid version, too. Look at this site:

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Slacko.

You can access the rest of the current versions from there if you like. There are tutorials here on the forum and help is easy to come buy here. Have fun. Glad you found the site.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).
TechNot

#17 Post by TechNot »

I took a stab in the dark and picked a version of 528 that looked like it had the biggest (newest ?) kernel number ....3.9.9...turns out to be 528.004 i think?

again I tried to use the slako56 to download and burn this ....again totaly seizing up my laptop and again rebooting to XP to get the job done...but I'm back
booted off the usb lighting fast and hassle free setup

I do appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions

I think I will most likely just stay with this version for awhile unless some major glitch rears it head

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

uname -r will keep you abreast of it's kernel version. HardInfo's OS summary'll do the same..
nooby

#19 Post by nooby »

Moat wrote:
... it's actually a lot of fun to burn and test drive a bunch of 'em - and doing so, eventually one or three will rise to the top, and stand out as a good choice to stick with for the long haul.

Also, if one has some time to waste, just browsing this forum's latest threads can reveal which Pups are the most actively supported, and rising to the top, themselves - which can help narrow the search for the "perfect Pup". I find it interesting and enjoyable to do so, myself.

... my choice being a heavily personalized Precise 5.7.1 Retro running rock-solid on all of my 2005 era laptops and desktop.

I've recently also been quite blown away - and very highly recommend - Carolina 1.2. It's a bigger, more full-featured and extremely well thought-out/tweaked/integrated Puppy that uses the Xfce desktop environment - looks quite un-remarkable on first boot, but with some tweaking of the highly customizable Xfce desktop visuals (including composting effects), can look and function simply outstanding! Runs fast as snot and super low CPU resources on my machines, as well. Excellent choice of day-to-day apps in it's repository, that is continually being added to/supported by Geoffrey and rg66 - these guys do great work, and their latest XPrecise and XSlacko might definitely be worth a spin, too.

p.s. - I recall reading that some of the earlier Pentium M's do not support PAE.

Have fun! I know I have... :D

Bob
Dear Bob intersting read. Damn me too lazy to read up the way
could you sharw is Slacko the most cared about?

Barry seems to recommend Slacko or maybe he changed prefs?

Carolina I have to boot up that one then. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
gcmartin

#20 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @TechNot
TechNot wrote:... I think I will most likely just stay with this version for awhile unless some major glitch rears it head
Understnading that I have the same lappie, per se, WHICH version did you find that worked for you?

Curious