Which Puppy to replace Win XP Home?

Booting, installing, newbie
sercher70

Which Puppy to replace Win XP Home?

#1 Post by sercher70 »

I need a reliable east OS to take the place of xp home which as of 8th Apl will no longer have support. I do not want to go to WIN7( got it on yt notebook) or to Win8. It was suggested to me to look at linux.
When I started to look into the matter I was totally confuse by the many variations on offer and what they would or would not do. So far I believe Mint ot maybe Zorin could be nearest to what I have been used to.At my time of life I do not have the luxury of time to start over and wade through a long new learning curve.
It take me all my time to keep on top of XP and WIN 7 with use and general maintenance.
So in layman terms can anyone help me. I use e mail on a daily basiis have some special sotfware that I use to produce handwriting work sheets, and use the internet to order products. download photos and and use a photo shop type programme
. Actually just general use. Is there such a package Thanks Please keep terminology as simple as possible please my 83 year ols brain can't cope wiith techy speak LOL

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Welcome to Puppy.

Post your specs....hardware so we can help.

:::::::::

I always advocate >> Keep Windows....Enjoy Puppy.

So running Puppy off a cd....and saving your settings back to the cd...

the only OS that can do it in the world with an ordinary cd....is good

booting off usb is great....

some laptops can boot off an sd card...so plenty of options.

If you are burning the cd in Windows >> to achieve the above..

you will need ....BurnCDCC

:::::::::::

" INSTALLATION:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simply copy the BURNCDCC.EXE file to a folder on your hard drive. Create a shortcut on your Desktop or Start menu for easy access. "

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... ftware.htm

Make the burn speed >> 40 speed >>>tops

:::::::::::::

So tell us your specs...and we will give you a link to a Puppy
that should work.

Here is a recent review of Slacko....spotted by >> James C
a very helpful bloke who just tests Puppy after Puppy.
So you can take his advice anytime.

First Impressions of Slacko Puppy 5.7

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 07#feature

::::::::

But as we have over 1200 Puppy versions
let us know also what you wish to do with Puppy.

""""""

And another thing...don't believe the hype.

XP will keep running for years.

Antivirus companies and browsers will keep updating.

What ... they are going to lose a third of computer users...
by not updating?

I never go higher than Service Pack 2.
I turn off all updates.
Never use Internet Explorer
Turn of most connections that want to hit the net...
in a really old Zone Alarm firewall...10 years old at least

and run Antivir Free.

Some parts are old with some lost links....but here is my How To

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58305

Chris.
Last edited by cthisbear on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

#3 Post by rufwoof »

Hi sercher70

I still use Win 3.1 periodically - which hasn't been supported for years. How often have you called upon support in the past for XP? It's not as though it will simply stop working on the 8th April.

For online banking/buying, yes you need security and updates. For everything else security might be much less of a issue/concern.

Perhaps think about buying a tablet with which to do all of your online buying in a secure/updated manner, and stick with the devil you know for everything else.

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

I believe XP was the first version that required online activation when you installed it, otherwise after 30 days I believe some of the features stopped working.

Whilst you can make a backup for if things go wrong, I don't know what the situation would be if you needed to reinstall from CD after they stopped supporting it i.e. perhaps a move to a new PC because the existing one had stopped working. I suspect that might not be possible i.e. the online Microsoft registration thingy might no longer continue activations.

In another thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 023#769023 it was mentioned how it was possible to have XP running from a USB - which might be more sustainable going forward.

James C

#5 Post by James C »

rufwoof wrote:I believe XP was the first version that required online activation when you installed it, otherwise after 30 days I believe some of the features stopped working.

Whilst you can make a backup for if things go wrong, I don't know what the situation would be if you needed to reinstall from CD after they stopped supporting it i.e. perhaps a move to a new PC because the existing one had stopped working. I suspect that might not be possible i.e. the online Microsoft registration thingy might no longer continue activations.

In another thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 023#769023 it was mentioned how it was possible to have XP running from a USB - which might be more sustainable going forward.
According to Microsoft activation and all existing updates will still be available after April 8.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-xp-end-of- ... 000025151/

Q: Will Microsoft cease requiring XP users to activate Windows XP as of April 8, 2014, since support for the product is ending?

A: No. A spokesperson confirmed that activations will still be required for retail installations of Windows XP post April 8. "Windows XP can still be installed and activated after end of support on April 8," the spokesperson noted. "Computers running Windows XP will still work, they just won’t receive any new security updates. Support of Windows XP ends on April 8, 2014, regardless of when you install the OS."

Another update (January 15): For those asking in comments below, Microsoft will continue to make all patches and fixes made to Windows XP up until April 8, 2014, available to users via Windows Update. "There are no current plans to remove existing Windows XP security updates from Windows Update after end of support on April 8, 2014," a spokesperson confirmed.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Sorry to tell you, but Linux is not Windows.
There will be some learning involved.
However, it is not all that different.
The biggest difference is in the directory (folder) layout. This does take awhile to fully understand.

Any of the major Linux distributions will give you what you are looking for.
Mint is a good example of one.

You say you have some specialized programs you want to run. They are probably Windows based programs. You will not be able to run them in Linux directly. You will have to try using what is called a operating system emulator.
In Linux that is Wine.
Installing and using Wine is not too hard, but it is not perfect and some Windows programs will just not run. There is http://www.winehq.org/ where you can learn about Wine.

Linux has a good selection of programs and probably has an equivalent program to the ones you use in windows.
Most popular web browsers and E-mail programs have a Linux version.

Now about Puppy. The only way to know for sure if you will like something is to try it.
I suggest:
Slacko 5.7
http://slacko.01micko.com/index.html

This info will help you decide how to run Slacko.
Various ways to install puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

Use the live CD/DVD method.
That way you can boot Puppy using the Puppy live CD/DVD and it does nothing to change anything on your computer. If you do not like it, just stop using the Puppy live CD/DVD.
Also, if you decide to install Puppy to the computer, running from the Puppy live CD/DVD is the easiest way to do it. ThePuppy Universal installer is designed to be run from a Puppy live CD/DVD.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

Transferring Windows XP Activation Information

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windows ... xp0829.htm

How to Reinstall Windows XP Without Having to Reactivate With Microsoft

Double-click My Computer.

Double-click on the "C" drive.

Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
(You may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder.")

Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them
to a safe location.

You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.

After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process.

Reboot your computer into SafeMode.
(You can either press F8 as Windows is booting up to see the Windows Advanced Options menu and select SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal,
or you can follow the instructions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode.

Double-click My Computer.

Double-click on the "C" drive.

Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
(You may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder.")

Find the file "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak"
(if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new."

Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files from your floppy disk, CD or DVD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Restart your system.
(If you followed the directions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode,
you may need to go back into MSCONFIG to turn off booting into SafeMode).

"""""""""""

Of course you can copy them onto a usb as well for backup.

You can boot Puppy , Hirens' or the Falcon
and backup and rename those files.

There are small utiliity tools that can do it as well.

Chris.

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

Do not get rid of windows XP in totality, you will regret it someday. Sure, Puppy is very good and can be used for day to day use but a day may come that you have some hardware compatibility problems. For instance, I have a canon printer/scanner which does not have a linux driver so can't be used with any linux system nevermind puppy. Fact remains, windows xp works with everything (and will for at least a number of years in the future). A dual-booting system is the way to go imho. I have windows xp pro installed as well as frugal installs of three puppies. The best of both worlds.

dk60902

#9 Post by dk60902 »

Although 5.2.8 came out over 2.5 yrs ago, it's still a great, stable release. My wife was using an old Presario laptop with XP. I was afraid that she would get into trouble. I swapped my HP Pavilion running Vista with hers. I'm running Puppy 5.2.8 off a CD on this ancient Presario 2100 with a single core AMD processor and 1 GB RAM. It runs well for web surfing, which is what I do 99% of the time. In fact, I'm posting this message with the Presario running Puppy.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Hmm yes Lucid I feel is a good one for new users ... well tested and friendly.

As for XP dont worry too much...the problems CAME from microsoft and most users rely on protection form third parties anyway.

I still run windows 2000 almost daily including banking...its support ended in 2010 ..no big ceromony there...this is about sales not mass computer failure.

Also note i can still get hotfixes and updates for 2000 from microsoft if I need them.

For you real security concerns DO NOT use IE, outlook express, windows media player (and messenger though its defunct now i believe.)...and disabling updates is a good move too (and now redundant also)
There are plenty of SAFE alternatives to these programs.

mike

Fossil

#11 Post by Fossil »

sercher70. Welcome to the forum.
In the words of Corporal Jones (BBC TV's, Dad's Army' - an old but good TV comedy) "Don't Panic!" Microsoft XP will still be going strong for more than a while.
I can't help but think this is all something of a marketing ploy between MS and it's allies! Fear is both the key and a wonderful marketing force. Just think of how much revenue will be generated within this first month - all those terrified MS indoctrinated individuals running out to get not only a new operating system but a new uber-computer to run the newest bling-infested system to it's maximum mega-memory requirements. Oh, won't the retailers be ever so happy. So too all the 'poor' little investors!
So, sit back, take a deep breath, and just consider all the options. Yes, there are options, lots of them. If you really wanted to it would be easy to run both a larger Linux distro - such as Mint - and have one (or more) of the Puppy Linux 'family' as both alternative and easy running operating system. Don't be in a rush, have a look around, weigh up your choices. If you need more help, I refrain from the word 'advice' simply because everyone has a different approach, just ask. Ultimately, the choice, is entirely yours!

Dewbie

#12 Post by Dewbie »

Fossil wrote:
I can't help but think this is all something of a marketing ploy between MS and it's allies! Fear is both the key and a wonderful marketing force. Just think of how much revenue will be generated within this first month - all those terrified MS indoctrinated individuals running out to get not only a new operating system but a new uber-computer to run the newest bling-infested system to it's maximum mega-memory requirements. Oh, won't the retailers be ever so happy. So too all the 'poor' little investors!
It's Y2K, all over again...run for your lives! :lol:

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Anyone dared turn on their computers today :shock:

I have and am typing this from Windows 2000 which was unsupported as from 2010...funny I can still get hotfixes and other items from MS if I happen to need them.

mike

nooby

#14 Post by nooby »

I would keep XP at all cost.

Why? Because there are other gear that only works
with the original Win programs, Wine cannot help you
because that program has a special database and drivers
on how to address that hardware.

Good example. My SonyEricson Experian X10 mini pro
only works with the win xp suite original programs for upgrade
of the .smartphone upgrade.

Another example -my neighbor has a Genealogy program
require win XP to work. For to track relatives back to 16 hubdred or so :)

Others maybe can refer to programs that also require win XP
Last edited by nooby on Wed 09 Apr 2014, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

Don't get me wrong now. The following is not a criticism.

Just me very curious, even nosy.

Has anybody written that one can now get same result if one Swap OS.

That one OS is as good another using the other OS programs?

Or was it a wild guess from you abut progress being made
or something. other allowing one OS to replace another.

You certainly made me extremely curious on how
you came to the conclusion that one OS can "replace"

If you find my inquiry too nosy then just skip it.

But did somebody made an April fool out of you juwt for to laugh
on you. Teasing you to not get the extreme huge difference
there can be how one set up a working OS

As I tried to bring over. No criticism at all.
People sometimes are that mean that they
try to ridicule others on their behalf.

Now I am a noob so I fail to list all the differences there can be
to set up an OS but I have the impression that it is very hard work
to get one going at all. I could be wrong though.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

dk60902

#16 Post by dk60902 »

This dinosaur Presario that I use by my bedside is running well with 5.2.8 and faster than XP, so at least for the present time, I'm not going to use XP. The one issue that I haven't figured out is being able to share files with other Windows computers on my home network. I'm don't know how to use Pnethood Samba Shares.

Just in case, though, I've loaded Avast antivirus, MalwareBytes, Commodo Cleaning Essentials, and Kill Switch. I'll have to install Commodo Firewall should I have to use XP. I know that this is a Puppy Forum, but Linux Lite has also received good reviews and will run on older hardware.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

I use NFS to share between Linux <> Windows <> Linux <> Linux though recent puppies would appear to be the problem with the approach of using a linux file sharing system.....

Ftp might help though not my favourite method...there are tonnes of free ftp servers for Windows.

I find XP boots and runs similar to puppy 2-4 but then I must be doing something wrong :D

mike

nic007

#18 Post by nic007 »

With 1GB of RAM, windows xp should be flying on your machine. You do need to do some maintenance now and again though. Running a registry cleaner (I use Regvac) and doing a Regpack every 3 months or so are some good tips to keep windows xp in top shape.

rokytnji

#19 Post by rokytnji »

My 2 Cents.

On a Windows forum I mod made up mostly of retired senior citizens.
Their go to from XP on my recommendation is Carolina 1.2.

It automounts usb when plugged in.
It has everything pretty much needed in their repo for someone coming from XP.
Skype, etc......

It is a no brainer easy to run Puppy Linux release for migrating Windows users.
So far I have had dozens switch.

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

Hello, all.

if you're really nostalgic about XP, you can install the Look XP (lxp-icewm) window
manager on your Puppy. http://lxp.sourceforge.net/ 8)

We must have a couple of pets lying around on this forum. If you can't find them,
give me a shout?

BFN. :lol:

musher0

musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)