How to run PepperFlash in Slacko 5.7 Firefox

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
watchdog

How to run PepperFlash in Slacko 5.7 Firefox

#1 Post by watchdog »

I read that it's possible to use chrome's pepperflash in Firefox. I succeeded to use it in Slacko 5.7 where I compiled the wrapper. I have taken libpepflashplayer.so from chrome's build by OscarTalks:

https://copy.com/Hmc8LqdnWo1y

I have compiled the wrapper in slacko 5.7:

https://copy.com/PlGwdqiB8FQh

I have installed the following two packages from debian:

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/i386 ... v/download

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/i386 ... 1/download

Open console and:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash
Copy the wrapper in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Copy libpepflashplayer.so in /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash. Then create a relative link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libpepflashplayer.so to /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so. Remove libflashplayer.so from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Launch now firefox australis and play a youtube video: it works. Tested in slacko.

EDIT: it doesn't work in wary and I was not able to compile the wrapper in wary. I had in wary the extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/a ... 5/?src=api

Without the extension I can't play youtube videos and the wrapper compiled in slacko doesn't work.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

The wrapper for precise 5.7.1:

https://copy.com/saGKOKyhKPcH

Rename it libfreshwrapper.so.

Edit: the wrapper for precise works in TahrPup 6.0.1, too.
Last edited by watchdog on Fri 26 Dec 2014, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

solo

#3 Post by solo »

Running Precise Puppy 5.7.1 with Shinobar's portable Firefox. I followed your instructions and I can confirm that it works.

I think I'll hang on to this particular setup for a while.

For testing purposes, of course. :D

Great work!

solo

#4 Post by solo »

Ran the Flash Benchmark 2008 on it:

http://www.snailsanimation.com/benchmark08_play.php

The result was rather disappointing. It didn't even pass the Lite test (1780 at best), and got stuck in the 'awful' zone.

As a comparison, on the same computer, on a hd frugal install of Precise Puppy 5.7.1, with Firefox 23.0.1, and Flash 10.3, it did pass the Lite test, but did not pass the Medium test (5315), and got stuck in the 'bad' zone.

Of course there could be many factors at work here, notably my old computer, but since that is the stuff I work with, I'm going to get back to my old setup.

I'll post the result of that benchmark as well.

solo

#5 Post by solo »

So, on a flash drive frugal install of Precise Puppy 5.7.1, with Shinobar's portable Firefox (at this time 30.0), and Flash version 11.2.202.341, the score on the Flash Benchmark 2008 on my computer is 5049, meaning that it is still in the 'bad' zone, but closer to 'okay' than it is to 'awful'.

Still, the Pepper Flash does work! I played Gemcraft, Chasing Shadows with it, and it plays. But it's as slow as molasses, on my computer at least.

EDIT: For those who want to know, my computer has a AMD Sempron 3000+ Processor running 1,8 GHz, with 1,25 Gb RAM.

DC

#6 Post by DC »

FYI
Just tried the flash test in
fatdog 700b1
with
opera-developer_25_0_1613_1_amd64
pepperflash 15.0.0.152

passed all the tests with a score of 59856

maybe its time to test again :D

dc
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

solo

#7 Post by solo »

Oh I'm sure I could greatly improve those test results, if I switch to Fatdog, ditch Firefox for Opera, and start doing stuff like overclocking the cpu.

But I'm not going to do that.

I guess the thing to take away from this is that performance very much depends on environment variables.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Without the extension I can't play youtube videos
For fun I am running without flash enabled at all in firefox... a tidy you tube mp4 downloader works a treat...for other sites many just give you the mp4 if there is no flash plugin.... much faster for that matter....seems little need to play the big boys games.

mike

peebee

#9 Post by peebee »

solo wrote:Ran the Flash Benchmark 2008 on it:

http://www.snailsanimation.com/benchmark08_play.php
Chromium with pepperflash on my desktop scored 33371 = Ultra Awesome!

Code: Select all

▶—— BASE SYSTEM ——◀

PC Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Product Name: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Motherboard Vendor: ASRock
Product Name: N68C-S UCC

BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: P1.60
Release Date: 09/19/2011

AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor
Max Speed: 3200 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:3214 MHz, 1:3214 MHz

THRM Temp: 24 C

Personal Storage File:
 Name: lxpupsave.2fs
 Total Size: 1024 MB
 Free Space: 651 MB

Memory Allocation:
 Total RAM: 3294 MB
 Used RAM: 1492 MB
 Free RAM: 1802 MB
 Buffers: 110 MB
 Total Swap: 0 MB
 Free Swap: 0 MB

Linux Kernel: 3.4.82 (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Mon Mar 3 17:15:25 EST 2014

Distro: LxPup 14.03.1
Desktop Panel: lxpanel 0.6.0-r694
Window Manager: Openbox 3.5.2
Desktop Start: xwin startlxde

Username: root
Language: en_GB.UTF-8
Keyboard: uk
Timezone: Europe/London
Attachments
flashbenchmark.png
(178.58 KiB) Downloaded 1580 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

solo

#10 Post by solo »

I was using the 'normal' Flash plugin in Firefox. However, since yesterday, Adobe started to block Flash content with a warning that the plugin is unsafe and needs to be updated.
It kept giving me the message block when I updated my plugin to the latest version I could find (11.2.202.424).

I (re)-installed the PepperFlash plugin from this thread, and my nag-screen dissappeared.

So I'm bumping this thread now for anyone who might be experiencing the same annoyance.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Adobe started to block Flash content with a warning that the plugin is unsafe and needs to be updated.
thats is actually coming from firefox... they 'decide' that you should not be using something and either complain at you or disable it...
Its in yer profile blocklist.xml or similar.

I use flash 10.0.15 because I want to... and anything in that file trying to stop me was removed.

Somehow 'freedom of choice ' appears to be slipping away

mike

rufwoof

#12 Post by rufwoof »

I'm running flash 10.3 and the latest firefox just said something like - old version of flash, insecure, you should update - and gave a checkbox or similar to ignore, which I checked and its been fine since.

I only load flash when needed (which for me is mostly Youtubes or BBC news).
Attachments
fs.jpg
(16.4 KiB) Downloaded 1007 times

watchdog

#13 Post by watchdog »

solo wrote:It kept giving me the message block when I updated my plugin to the latest version I could find (11.2.202.424).
Current version of flashplayer plugin is 11.2.202.425: working here.

In my country:

http://get.adobe.com/it/flashplayer/otherversions/

solo

#14 Post by solo »

mikeb wrote:
Adobe started to block Flash content with a warning that the plugin is unsafe and needs to be updated.
thats is actually coming from firefox... they 'decide' that you should not be using something and either complain at you or disable it...
Its in yer profile blocklist.xml or similar.

I use flash 10.0.15 because I want to... and anything in that file trying to stop me was removed.

Somehow 'freedom of choice ' appears to be slipping away

mike
Oh, right, of course.
I should have known leaving those automatic updates on would bite me in the ass one day, but I figured it couldn't hurt seeing as portable Firefox is not part of the save file.

I could leave things as they are now, and keep the PepperFlash plugin, but the nice aspect about the normal plugin was the fact that I could move the libflashplayer.so somewhere outside of the save file, and simply create a symlink to it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ , which would liberate another 12 MB's of save file space.

And since I am stingy that way, I think I will restore the old situation and block the Firefox updates.

nancy reagan

new pet for flash

#15 Post by nancy reagan »

Oscar Talks made a new pet which worked on my FF

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84267

solo

#16 Post by solo »

That is the version I installed after I first discovered the block message, and the message kept appearing after installation.

It is like MikeB said. This is a Firefox thing.

I use Shinobar's portable Firefox, and I left the automatic update setting on, meaning it is actively searching for Firefox updates and when it finds one it installs this.
With these updates comes a file called blocklist.xml, which is a list with conditions where a content block would apply for Firefox. And apparantly, with the latest Firefox update, using these specific plugins to view Flash content is one of those conditions on their list.

So if you would go to the Help menu of Firefox, and go to -About Firefox-, and then click on the -Check for Updates- button in the window (don't!!!), you will most likely find yourself with a new Firefox version which would give you this annoying block screen.

I have restored my old settings in the meantime, turned off the updates in Firefox, and all is fine.

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Ah good ...plus for some a firefox update can mean no browser at all... same for flash.

On slax I now have the flash plugin as an sfs ...at 10-12mb plus its fickle nature it seemed a good idea.

mike

rufwoof

#18 Post by rufwoof »

Frugal ram booted, downloaded the latest firefox (34.0.5) installed my flash (version 10) sfs, fired up firefox - all from ram with no HDD's mounted and ... no complaints when I run youtubes or flash games etc.

My flash doesn't install in the firefox addon's list so perhaps that's the reason why I''m not being prompted by firefox to update flash ???

EDIT : Managed to replicate using a clean boot of FatDog64 7 beta and installing Shinobar's portable firefox. The option I clicked before was the 'Activate' link just above the 'Check for Update' prompt and then I selected the 'allow and remember' choice.
Attachments
fb.jpg
(48.67 KiB) Downloaded 391 times

solo

#19 Post by solo »

Yeah that Allow and Remember stuff only works if you allow Firefox to remember.

I'm one of those folks who want their browser memory wiped each time they close it.

solo

#20 Post by solo »

Quick follow-up.

It seems that blocklist.xml is updated and downloaded daily, whether you have automatic updates off or not, so changing that setting has no effect at all on this.
The way to ensure you're add-ons are not being blocked by Firefox, is to type about:config in your address bar, then scroll down to an entry called
extensions.blocklist.enabled
, and change the value (true) into false.

Perhaps a tricky move for those who like to fiddle about with add-ons a lot.