my puppy died

Using applications, configuring, problems
gaherzog

my puppy died

#1 Post by gaherzog »

I'm not sure where to post this, please move if I am not correct. I've been using the puppy 528.exe and windows 7 starter for over a year with very good results. Yesterday, in an attempt to enable the mounting of exFAT file system I installed exfat-fuse 1.0.1-1 386.pet and evfat-utils 1.0.1-1 386.pet from the akita repository. Now my puppy fails to start; everything is normal up to and including the grub splash screen. The "no save file" choice works fine while choosing my regular puppy gives me a black screen; no cursor, nothing. I must do a hard shutdown which is instantaneous, with no delay or hesitation at all. Is there any way I can reconstitute my puppy save file? If not, can I simply rename the existing save file as a backup and start all over again with the existing poppy installation? Or do I need to uninstall the puppy Exe and reinstall it? This forum has been very valuable to me since I started using puppy; thank you.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

If you're sure you have a Save file, then you should be able to rename it. I don't know anything about running Puppy as an .exe, so I'd boot any Puppy CD I could find, with the puppy pfix=ram boot option, then find the Save file and rename it.
gaherzog

#3 Post by gaherzog »

I decided to try booting puppy one more time before starting a new save file, and to my great surprise it started normally. I did nothing in the interim except to defrag my windows C drive. I seldom use windows; almost everything on the C drive, with the exception of the windows OS, has been put there by puppy. I find that the exfat-fuse 1.0.1-1 386.pet and evfat-utils 1.0.1-1 386.pet from the akita repository are installed, but my puppy still does not recognize or mount the exfat disk. gparted sees the partition, but cannot ID the file system. I am not command line literate; is there an exfat pet for 528?
FeodorF

FUSE - exFAT

#4 Post by FeodorF »

What is FUSE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace

The wiki is here: http://code.google.com/p/exfat/wiki/HOWTO

Looking at: /usr/share/man/man8/ you'll find the help files to it.
bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

to my great surprise it started normally. I did nothing in the interim except to defrag my windows C drive.
This is a known problem caused by Windows fragmenting the file system.
If you place Puppy files on a partition that is used by Windows.
Always defrag the partition, using Windows defrag, before placing Puppy files on it.
If Windows is used, defrag to keep Puppy files from getting fragmented.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)