Best Program For Building Web Sites With Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Blackfish

Best Program For Building Web Sites With Puppy?

#1 Post by Blackfish »

Hi!
I'm looking to start building my own Web site. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience they'd like to share.

I mainly need to learn how the ftp software works so I can publish the pages I've written. I can do some basic html, which is really all I need for now in that department. The biggest thing for me right now is uploading the pages to my host.

What's the best and/or easiest way for a newb to get started?

I'm running Lx Pup Precise Retro 14.02.

Thanks!

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Until you get a solid reply, you might take a read through this page. Sound advice me thinks..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

p310don

#3 Post by p310don »

For building websites, there is Composer built into Seamonkey for basic editing. Otherwise Kompozer is very good.

For FTP, there are lots, but I find Filezilla to work a treat.

Blackfish

#4 Post by Blackfish »

Semme wrote:Until you get a solid reply, you might take a read through this page. Sound advice me thinks..
Agreed. Sound advice. The stand alone software is likely the best bet. Do you know of a good, reasonably priced one that is compatible with Pup?

Blackfish

#5 Post by Blackfish »

p310don wrote:For building websites, there is Composer built into Seamonkey for basic editing. Otherwise Kompozer is very good.

For FTP, there are lots, but I find Filezilla to work a treat.
So right. I remember now looking at Seamonkey Composer months ago when I first started with Linux and I'd forgotten about it. On taking a second look, this appears to have all I need! Thanks for the reminder!

peebee

Re: Building Web Sites

#6 Post by peebee »

Blackfish wrote:Hi!
I'm looking to start building my own Web site. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience they'd like to share.

I mainly need to learn how the ftp software works so I can publish the pages I've written. I can do some basic html, which is really all I need for now in that department. The biggest thing for me right now is uploading the pages to my host.

What's the best and/or easiest way for a newb to get started?

I'm running Lx Pup Precise Retro 14.02.

Thanks!
For LxPup with PCManFm all that is needed to ftp is to put a url such as: into the PCManFm address bar substituting your username and ftp site of course. You will then be prompted for your ftp password and you can then drag and drop and copy & paste your files as per normal.

You can then save the url as a bookmark for future use.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

Is there an ftp client available on Precise? Have a look in the 'internet' menu (and maybe also utility and filesystem menus). I'm on Upup at the moment and it has 'gFTP' ftp client. That is the one I used to upload to russoodles website. Worked fine for me and I'm no expert..

Moose On The Loose

#8 Post by Moose On The Loose »

I looked at how hard it was to learn to use the various tools for making web sites.

I read an explanation of HTML

I used Geany to type in the HTML directly.
For what I needed it was easy.

Blackfish

gFTP 2.0.19

#9 Post by Blackfish »

I found this gFTP 2.0.19 program in the Internet menu... it looks like the thing I need. I need to figure how it works though. Anyone know anything about this one? I can't even find any instruction for it!

Blackfish

#10 Post by Blackfish »

Moose On The Loose wrote:
I looked at how hard it was to learn to use the various tools for making web sites.

I read an explanation of HTML

I used Geany to type in the HTML directly.
For what I needed it was easy.
I've no problem writing the html and creating the pages. Need to find now to get them published on my domain.

L18L

publishing web sites

#11 Post by L18L »

Blackfish wrote:Need to find now to get them published on my domain.
Hope that helps: http://www.gftp.org/screenshots.html

Start by: Remote > Open Location

Blackfish

#12 Post by Blackfish »

Thanks for the pic and the tip. It certainly all makes sense, but mine doesn't work. Are only certain kinds of files and folders able to transfer? I made some .html pages in Leafpad, and the software can see them, but will not allow me to choose them in the first window and transfer them into the second window and load them on my site. I don't get what I am doing wrong here. The www.gftp.org Web site doesn't even address the question. I don't think the software is at fault, because it does the same thing on my other computer. I'm missing something here. Any ideas?

KatStrat

#13 Post by KatStrat »

How do you wanna use your Website? How many pages and subpages do you need? Would be great to get more facts aberout the project :-)

Blackfish

#14 Post by Blackfish »

Ok! I got load my pages to the hosting site. It went into the folder on the site, but it did not wipe out the old site and replace it with the new one. So, the pages and folders are uploaded! That's progress!

The gFTP software is still a wash. Still trying to figure it out. I used Seamonkey Composer to publish the pages. It worked!

Mostly what I want to use my site for is text. I want to publish some of my articles on the site and use it as a sort of social media, blog, any thing goes sort of site. Mostly text and pictures.

Blackfish

#15 Post by Blackfish »

HOORAY! I finally got some time on my hands to mess with the gftp software and solved another mystery! First off, the jerk at my hosting site gave me the wrong information and that is one of the reasons I couldn't make it go. I figured it all out and got the right information and finally signed in and got connected to my site through the gftp software.

And now that I am connected, I can carry on with how to transfer the pages and have them appear in the browser.

One small step for Blackfish... one giant leap... just for the hell of it! Ha! Ha!

Smithy

#16 Post by Smithy »

Well done Blackfish!

That gftp is another little gem in Puppy.

Tried Kompozer a few times a long while ago, pretty good, but was a bit difficult to "push" your pages.

The Peebee tip sounds good about PCmanFM.

Blackfish

#17 Post by Blackfish »

OK, back to the drawing board this fine morning...

As I said, I got signed in @ my hosting account and got connected. Now, everything looked good at first, but things soon changed...

At the top of the open window there is a place for Host, Port, User, and Password - got it. I put in all the info and sent it and the connection was made. After that, I could see all my computer folders on the left side and the hosting folders on the right side. I chose some .html files I had created and transfered them to the public folder on the right side and transfered the files. Transfer successful. But when I open up the Web site, it does not show the new pages I made. It shows the old site that I used Weebly to build the site with on their servers.

I don't understand how to get the old stuff wiped out and the new stuff to appear.

Workin' on it.

Smithy

#18 Post by Smithy »

In the options of gftp, there is "overwrite by default" even though it usually says, do you want to overwrite the file(s)?
Maybe try refresh, maybe the web page takes a little time to "update".
Gotta be something simple (hopefully).

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

sometimes there is a delay between ftp transfers and the file actually being part of the html set...depends how the host is arranged plus posix does not delete/replace a file until it finished with....just possibilities. Sometimes they are just stubborn and you have to repeat the upload...even twice at times...known that to happen too.

Also refresh yer browser... if you have not or its probably using old pages cos everyone has the cache enabled.

Might be a permissions hang up since the previous versions were done with their website builder.

Is gftp showing your new versions..ie matching size and date?

I use gftp all the time...way way faster than anything else I ever used to upload sites... and good for quick one file onsite edits too by having geany as the edit program.

mike

mikeslr

Maybe Not gFTP?

#20 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Blackfish,

Now that you've got gFTP working, perhaps you should try other FTP applications. I recall numerous posts concerning problems with gFTP. The ones that come immediately to mind involved incomplete or inaccurate uploads. But if you enter the following in your browser and type "gftp problem" into its search bar you'll find a bunch. http://wellminded.net63.net/ I highly recommend booking the site for getting quick answers about anything Puppy.
Regarding alternatives to gFTP. First look on the Network submenu. I'm currently running OBPrecise. Vicmz, its author, included both PCurlftp and PureFTP. I believe both Vicmz's OBPrecise and peebee's LxPrecise are reworkings of Barry K's Precise. So there's a good chance you'll find both PCurlftp and PureFTP on your network submenu.
FileZilla is probably the most frequently recommended FTP application. If you type that name into the find box of menu>setup>Puppy Package Manager it will offer to download and install the Filezilla from Ubuntu Precise. At your stage of Puppy experience, I wouldn't try anything directly from Ubuntu, especially unattended installations. Puppy isn't Ubuntu whose applications frequently require "base" applications PPM doesn't pick up, and/or may conflict with those already used by Puppy.
EDITED AFTER FURTHER REFLECTION:
The easiest way to obtain Filezilla for Precise and its variants is to download the Filezilla SFS built by RSH. It's named LP2_Filezilla as it was built for use under his Lazy Puppy, and interesting derivative. On OBPrecise it does create a listing under the Networking Submenu. If it doesn't on LxPrecise, open /usr/share/applications/filezilla in your text editor and change the Category argument to read "Categories=X-Network-transfer". Save and restart X. Menu>Setup>SFS-load on the fly* will load and unload it. You can download it from here: http://smokey01.com/RSH/LazY-Puppy-201/ ... ngle-apps/.
You may also want to bookmark that page. Below LP2_filezilla is LP2_Kompozer which you may find useful. RSH built many fine applications which will run under Precise and are not otherwise available.

I was happy to find this even though its not the newest version of FileZilla. That I believe is 3.8.3, only available for Windows and not usable under Wine. I've been using the XP portable 3.8.1 which runs under Wine, but am trying to get away from reliance on Wine. Winehq tells you that it has little concern for security issues, relying on the fact that Linux distros aren't generally run as root. But Puppy is.

mikesLr

* Most Puppies can only load up to 6 SFS at a time. You'll notice that the same application which can load them, can also unload them. Lazy-Puppy was designed, among other things, to overcome that limitation.