Can Chrome be set to update?

Booting, installing, newbie
malderson

Can Chrome be set to update?

#1 Post by malderson »

I've been playing with Tahrpup on my Aspire One netbook, and as usual Puppy delivers beautifully. I also very much appreciate that the new Quickpup let me install Google Chrome, which otherwise seems unavailable in PPM. Despite the privacy issues, Chrome is my prefered browser. I have notice that the usual auto-update feature of Chrome seems to have been disabled. Is there any way to turn it back on? I'll settle for a manual update.

I also installed Firefox, and Firefox auto-updates to the current version. I would like to update Chrome in a similar fashion.I tried Pale Moon and like it, but again, no way to update.

Back when I was using Puppy 3 as my sole working computer I installed Chromium, which auto-updated somehow to Chrome. It then kept itself updated until I upgraded that system to Lucid Puppy. So it seems to me should be possible. Is it?
Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Malderson, according to Google..
When are updates available >> Linux users: Use your package manager to update Google Chrome.
In other words >> manual dwnld.

As an aside, Policy Templates provide further flexibility.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<
malderson

#3 Post by malderson »

Thanks for the pointer. Downloading the Debian/Ubuntu file from Google and letting PPM install it did the trick. Prior to this, I'd only used it to install pre-packaged PETs or packages from the repositories.
slavvo67

#4 Post by slavvo67 »

You could also use the Chrome portable. You download the new version at your leisure and just drop it in. The program does the rest.