Puppy sees c drive but windows can't

Using applications, configuring, problems
grump

Puppy sees c drive but windows can't

#1 Post by grump »

I am in the process of trying to migrate partitions from a dodgy HDD to a new one for my bro. The HDD is a 1Tb Seagate in a ACER box running Win7. It no longer boots - gets partway then hangs for ever.

After some fiddling I have found that the Windows 7 rescue disk does not see the C; drive. If I put the HDD in a usb caddy and plug it into my Win10/Precise Puppy laptop Win10 sees the partitions on the dodgy HDD but says of C: that the partition is not formatted.

If I boot the laptop with Precise, or FatDog 700b (it's what I'm using now to type and do stuff with the dodgy HDD) both Puppies see the c: drive and it's contents (I'm copying files out of it atm).

So basically, Windows says the C: partion is not formatted and can't see the contents, but Puppy has no problems. Is there a way I can use Puppy or other rescue system to make the C: partition visible to Windows without having to reformat it? Maybe something in gparted?

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

If there is no space before or after it you could try deleting the partition in GPARTED without wiping it.
Reboot and run TESTDISK to find missing partitions.
It should find the deleted partition and re-instate it. Do NOT FORMAT it.

Reboot and everything should be back.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

grump

#3 Post by grump »

I managed to copy the factory restore partion to the new disk, but it refused to play nicely. Bro was happy with reinstalling his programs so I ended up putting Windows10 on the new disk and just copying the data across.