The fastest puppy distro

Booting, installing, newbie
pp4mnklinux

The fastest puppy distro

#1 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:
I'm using Tahr Linux, and I like it a lot, but I have heard there is faster puppy linux·

Which one do you recomend me if I'm interested about a distro with the fastest speed??

Thanks a lot for your help.

PP4MNK

(here you are a list with puppy linux distros to recomend me http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersion )

;)
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi, pp4mnklinux.

That depends on the speed of your computer. There's sort of a ratio
between the speed of the computer and the age of the distro, generally.

If you use a very recent Puppy or distro on a very old computer, the
computer will cough and smoke and go teuf-teuf like an old locomotive
going up a hill. :D

Conversely, if you use a Puppy that's a couple of years old on a very
recent computer, you'll feel like you're driving a Formula1 car.

So I believe the correct answer to your question is: "In and of itself,
THE fastest Puppy distro doesn't exist. It's the mix between the speed
of your computer and a particular version of Puppy or Linux distro that
will result in faster or slower program execution."

And of course, don't forget the speed of your graphics card and of your
hard drive or flash drive... The speed of those two components have a
big influence on the apparent speed of your computer.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

April64 or Fatdog64 with expand in ram options. need lots of memory 4G plus..

pp4mnklinux

musher0

#4 Post by pp4mnklinux »

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I include a capture of my System information.

Ij'm using Tarh... do u thin if i change it for other distro I'm gonna obtain better results= .- I'm glad with this distro.... but....

THANKS A LOT
Attachments
sistem information.png
(101.2 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Distro: xenialpup64 7.5 XXL
Desktop Panel: JWM ~ FbBox 5.0

alphadog

#5 Post by alphadog »

Crikey, with those specs Tahr should be flying !!!!
I run Tahr on my desktop and it is plenty fast enough for me.Likewise I run Precise on the laptop and that's quite quick (ram to be upped to 2Gb soon methinks).
I just cannot fathom this need for speed.
I remember when web pages used to load a line at a time and you had a black screen with a blinking green cursor. Now THAT was slow !!!!
I have always found that ANY version of Puppy far outstrips any other OS.
Dell Optiplex760 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD+500Gb HDD(Now running Bionicpup64)

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

NT4.....

otherwise puppy 1.08.... 2.4 kernels are pretty slick :D GTK1 is much faster than 2/3...etc etc

Otherwise generally the older the puppy the better as the scripts were lighter....thats if you are looking at boot times.

Of course this is all meaningless for the hardware in question...you would hardly notice...there is no magic to this and when it comes to actually running programs ...(I assume thats what your computer is for) the operating system becomes far less relevant... eg windows 7 and windows 2000 run software at about the same speed on the same machine.

mike

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

Windows XP :wink: Seriously, if you are really paranoid about Windows' so-called vulnerabilities use Linux (perhaps Puppy) for everything online and Windows XP for the rest. For older machines with limited resources nothing can beat Windows XP for performance, compatibility and ease of use.

ally

#8 Post by ally »

for ultimate speed fatdog64

am currently running tahrpup which is pretty nippy

:)

Burn_IT

#9 Post by Burn_IT »

nothing can beat Windows XP for performance, compatibility and ease of use.
I might argue that for older machines, Windows 2000 was faster.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Burn_IT wrote:
nothing can beat Windows XP for performance, compatibility and ease of use.
I might argue that for older machines, Windows 2000 was faster.
Probably (but then again Windows 98 was also faster than 2000). Overall though (especially compatibility with newer hardware and software), XP can't be beat on an older machine. My windows xp pro runs like a greyhound on a 12 year old pentium 4 with only 384MB RAM (I obviously don't run overly heavy programmes though). Puppy 412 comes close in terms of speed.. All later puppies are slower than windows xp on this machine. I do run all my puppies as frugal installs on HD so full installs may be faster (I made a full install of puppy once but it turned out to be a mess).

Burn_IT

#11 Post by Burn_IT »

If you really want me to, I have a P4 based laptop that has 98,2000,XP, Win7, and frugal Puppy on it. There is another Linux on there as well, but I can't remember the passwords for it.
You devise a common test and I'll run it!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

Burn_IT wrote:If you really want me to, I have a P4 based laptop that has 98,2000,XP, Win7, and frugal Puppy on it. There is another Linux on there as well, but I can't remember the passwords for it.
You devise a common test and I'll run it!
No need really. I've run windows 98 se, xp, puppy 412, puppy 431, wary puppy 5.0 and wary puppy 539 extensively on this machine. I have a pretty good idea when it comes to performance given my specs.

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

NT4 ...again fastest of the windows....if we are talking speed and boot times. I did the timings including various pups and NT4 was the winner...one old post on here thats not worth digging up.

98 is a joke in every respect even if you sanitise it ... the reliant robin of operating systems. :D

Well once again proof that asking for opinions with questions like this is a waste of forum space.

mike

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

I liked Windows 98 SE, used it for years and really only dissed it when I couldn't find a driver for my cellphone modem. Very fast too. The thing is when you use a particular operating system for a very long time you tend to get used to its frills and spills...makes it easy to rectify any problems quickly (which in windows 98 had mostly to do with windows explorer crashing). My windows 98 se worked very well for me.

L18L

#15 Post by L18L »

Burn_IT wrote:I can't remember the passwords for it.
You have Puppy.
You are root.
Just delete it from
root:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:n:n:n:n:::
in /etc/shadow. :lol:

nitehawk

#16 Post by nitehawk »

I've been reviving my oldest computer. A Dell Optiplex GX150 (PIII--1Ghz--512mb ram--120G hard drive).

I have W2k pro lite on it,...and dual-booted with Slacko 5.7. Slacko was pretty fast,..but seemed to use a lot of resources. I then put on Precise 5.71. Good,..nice and fast, very responsive..lower resource usage...

I'm really just thinking of running good ol' Puppy 4.31. It always flys on that computer. One of my very favorite Puppies, anyhow.

My main computer..
HP Compaq (P4--3Ghz--4Gram--500G hard drive) boots Tahrpup (along with Wxp,..and right now Knoppix and Linux Mint). Tahr is really super fast on that computer!

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

Had a GX50 for a while that someone gave me. It got a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM -- because the reason it was given to me, was that one of the previous owners had wrecked it by trying to upgrade it past its abilities... don't do that, people, I could see copper on some of those motherboard traces. When that thing died, it died in pain...

Got rid of the same system a year or so later -- about a month ago. Didn't really have room for it, and P3 stuff (especially given that it couldn't take anything later than Coppermine) just doesn't have the oomph it used to anymore.

My recommendation, sad as it is: gut it, sell the parts on eBay (the mobo I bought for my GX50 was $20, so those innards are *somehow* still worth money...) and find a non-computational use for the case... for example, a nerdy bookshelf.

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

PIII--1Ghz--512mb ram
well that runs 3d games at decent resolution and fps...does me.
Maxing ram/cpu, modern hard drive with larger cache and a decent video card can transforms old stuff...especially if they have an Intel chipset underneath...that can double the ACTUAL speed compared to others with the same apparent spec in that era due to much higher data throughput...the clones were pretty crap in that respect...via/ali etc.

Windows (XP/2000) and linux (slax 6/4.12/lenny/lucid) run about the same in terms of speed and booting.

Makes for a good all round system thats pleasant to use and one is the media server from a usb drive..... a bit of flash blocking helps browsing thats all and a browser around FF 12 era is a good compromise.
After all, full screen smooth video was doable on less than half that spec.

Dual core is nice insofar as its multitask (convert a vid in the background for example and a web page hog does not dog the system) handling but a good single still does the job if handled well.

Why am I still using 2 of them ...well they won't die .... run daily for years...I beat them with sticks...I have a machine waiting to take over for years...

I like silly topics...we get to ramble.. :)

mike on his olde bike....

Ted Dog

#19 Post by Ted Dog »

@starhawk a nerdy bookshelf, good G-d I laughed so hard, was thinking of buying a bookshelf to place my computer and video projector high on the wall, now with a closet full of stupid Dell desktops I have all the 'brackets' I need place two on wall add wood board. Now I could leave a power supply in one hardwired to 5v and a el cheap hub to make a highly efficient charging station.

For those who may have missed Starhawks link, here is the image.

Bert

#20 Post by Bert »

Quirky 7 64-bit (April64 7.0.1), no doubt 8)

I am very impressed by its speed. Compared several utilities that I'm closely familiar with: they start up faster, execute much faster than in Precise, which is already one of the fastest Puppies out their.

It's like getting back the insane speeds of the early Puppy 1 or 2 editions, while getting all the 2015 goodies!

To be honest, the 32-bit version is noticeably slower.

It has been said Quirky is not Puppy. True, but I don't care that much about that. To me it's a better answer to our nowadays needs.
And it's signed BK 8)
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]