How to run Puppy entirely from a live USB?

Booting, installing, newbie
RoyBell

How to run Puppy entirely from a live USB?

#1 Post by RoyBell »

I want to create a live usb with Puppy 5.3 that will load into memory only and using English GB language and keyboard.
This is intended to be used as a Windows rescue system and leave nothing on the hard disc.

Whats the best way to achieve this?
When I was young I knew everything.
Now I'm old I know nothing but I'm much wiser.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

The easiest way to install Puppy in a USB is to first burn a CD or DVD of Puppy, then boot the CD or DVD. Is that doable? If the computer(s) you want to rescue can all boot from CD or DVD, then there's no need to put Puppy on USB except it would perhaps be more convenient to carry around.

Anyway, if you really must do the USB thing, once you've installed Puppy, boot from the USB, configure, then when you shut down, tell Puppy to put its Save file on the same USB stick. After that, Puppy will change nothing on the computer's hard drive unless you tell it to. You'll have to make sure that every computer you want to boot the USB stick from is configured to boot from USB.

Galbi

#3 Post by Galbi »

What do you want, a general rescue live usb (multiple Windows versions in different PCs), or to repair one specific Windows PC?

Can you boot from a CD/DVD? If so, use the Puppy Universal Installer to install Puppy to the a pendrive and if you make changes to it, ensure to put the savefile in the pendrive and not in the hard disk.

If it's moderm PC with UEFI, there might be troubles to boot from the USB.

In this long thread, there is a lot if info and tools: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58305
Get a confortable chair :D

Hope that helps.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

RoyBell

#4 Post by RoyBell »

Thanks Flash and Galbi,

I should have said that I just want the ability to take data from a crashed Windows system before any attempt to fix it.

I've got what I want now:
(Saving back to the USB drive)
I can also do this with a re-writeable CD/DVD.

Just two questions.

Do I have to start with Puppy pfix=ram to avoid any interaction with the hard drive?

Will it load only into RAM on any subsequent startup?

mikeslr

Creating the LiveUSB

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi RoyBell,

If you can't or prefer not to burn a CD, then creating a Live USB will depend on what operating system you are currently running. In all instances you'll need the Puppy 5.3 ISO.

If you're running windows, the easiest way to create a LiveUSB is to download, install and run LinuxLive USB Creator. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/. Plug your USB Key in, start the Creator, and point it to your ISO. One of its options is to format the USB Key to Fat32. I don't know what would happen if you've already formatted the Key to, say Linux Ext3, and chose not to format. Probably it will either install Puppy, or it won't. But I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility of ending up somewhere in between. :roll: Best to make sure everything is working before you "go all in."

If your running a different Linux distro --not Puppy-- you can probably install Unetbootin. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ That website also provides advice and instructions.

If your already running Puppy, this is how I create LiveUSB Keys. Using only the tools available in Puppy, you have a choice of how you format the Key. Depending on the size of your USB, you might want to consider my post here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 952#845952, but read the rest of the thread for other considerations.

Once you've formatted the Key, exit gParted, but leave the Key in the port. Mount it. I prefer installing Pups into a folder rather than at the root of the Key to facilitate adding other Pups later on. See below regarding remastering. So I right-click an empty space, select New>Folder and give it a short name.

Open another window to your ISO and Left-click the ISO to mount it. Copy the following files from the folder of your mounted ISO to the folder on your USB-Key: initrd.gz, puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs, vmlinuz. I don't think 5.3 has either an adrv_xxx.sfs or a zdrv_xxx.sfs. But if it does, copy them as well.

Once they've been copied, left-click the ISO to unmount it.

Now run Grub4dos: Menu>System>grub4dos. Select your USB-Key in the left pane, and check "search only within this device" in the right pane. Click OK.

You now should have an USB-Key which will boot into Puppy 5.3.

I am uncertain from your post whether "will load into memory only and using English GB language and keyboard" means you (a) want it to run without a SaveFile, and (b) strip-out all language and keyboard files except those pertaining to the English GB language and Keyboard. Perhaps it's that persistent problem of our being separated by a common language. :)

As to (b) I wouldn't know how to do that; and if I did, I wouldn't bother. The amount of space required by the "unwanted" files is minimal, while the time it would take to remove them isn't.

To end up with a "rescue" Puppy 5.3 which doesn't require a SaveFile, you'll have to remaster. That is, once you've installed all the applications you want into a SaveFile, and configured your USB-Key to your liking, you run the remaster application, Menu>Setup>Remaster Live CD. Don't worry about the CD in its name. During the process you can choose to just create a new ISO. Read the instructions carefully as they appear on the screen. There's a point at which you will be asked if you want to modify IIRC "root". What you'll do is delete everything from the Work-directory's root folder, open a window to your running Puppy's root folder, "Show hidden file" and copy everything from it into your Work-directory. But, double-check posts regarding remaster, as it's been a while since I did a remaster and I writing from an admittedly sketchy memory.

Once you have a new ISO, you can mount it and copy the necessary files into another uniquely named folder on your USB-Key. Re-run Grub4dos, or edit Grub4dos's Menu.lst to add it to your boot options. Test this version until you're satisfied it's fully functional. Then, if you want, you can delete your initial USB-Pup's folder and remove the reference to it from Menu.lst.

mikesLr

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

RoyBell wrote: Do I have to start with Puppy pfix=ram to avoid any interaction with the hard drive?
Will it load only into RAM on any subsequent startup?
If you don't use the argument pfix=ram, Puppy will search the hard drive for a SaveFile. So, if you consider searching/reading to be an interaction, then "yes" you should include pfix=ram in your boot arguments to avoid it.

See rufwoof's post regarding how Puppy "runs in RAM": http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 458#827458

By default, on bootup Puppies only mounts the drive/or partition on which its system files are located. In your case, that would be your USB-Key. Unless and until a drive/partition is mounted there can be no inter-action with it, except for gParted or other drive formatting applications.

mikesLr

RoyBell

#7 Post by RoyBell »

Thanks for than mikesLr,

I guess its not worth the trouble of a remaster.

Searching for a file on the hard drive won't write anything to it so I can just save back to the USB or re-writeable CD/DVD. (Or not save at all)

Using pfix=ram is a safety precaution.

The idea was just to make things easier by not having to specify things on startup and not having to save on exit.

I can do what I need to do with my present knowledge.

Thanks again to all.

jonnymcfly

#8 Post by jonnymcfly »

A live CD\USB distro already exist for this called PupRescue. I have used it many times and it works beautifully and installs to a USB quite easily with unetbootin.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Using puppy pfix=ram boot option only tells Puppy to not use the Puppy save file when it boots.

A Puppy boot-able USB install will always load into ram, if there is enough ram, in the computer, to hold it.
If not, it will load what it can into ram and access the USB drive for other data as it needs it.

At no time will it access the computers hard drive, unless you mount the drive and choose to access it, with some program.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

Biggest issue for techs who want to carry a USB dongle for booting: Live MUST be capable to boot on either a BIOS/UEFI PCs without changing a PC's physical settings.

Other than that you can run
  • Live booting to PC using DVD/CD/USB, saving data/session to the booted DVD/CD/USB before or during shutdown
  • Live booting to PC using DVD/CD/USB, where, upon desktop, you would insert a separate USB/memory stick/storage media to capture data for subsequent use.
Hope this is helpful
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 28 May 2015, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

slavvo67

#11 Post by slavvo67 »

@gcmartin @bigpup

Your insights always help!

jonnymcfly

#12 Post by jonnymcfly »

Its been awhile but I do remember creating a boot CD that starts the boot process and then hands it over to the usb stick to finish booting. I used it for pc's that refuse to boot from usb.

I have found that booting pc's from usb can be so tricky. Some systems will only boot from a flash drive that is formatted as Fat16 or from flash drives that are setup to mimic a usb floppy.

Burn_IT

#13 Post by Burn_IT »

Plop will boot from media that the PC WILL boot from, load its own USB drivers and then "boot" from USB. A mini CD just with Plop on it fits easily in a pocket.

Useful for those machines that DON'T support direct USB booting.
I carry a 120Gb USB drive with loads of stuff on it. It is one I built myself from a StarTech Infosafe USB2 caddy with a 1.8in 120Gb Ipod drive in it so it uses very little power.

If you DO ever get a disk for USB booting DO make sure it has 512k sectors or you will be stuffed.
It boots into Puppy amongst other things and I can run XP in a VM from it and because it is a magnetic drive not worry about silly write issues.
It can take a minute to close down when it is saving stuff, but that is not a problem.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

gcmartin

#14 Post by gcmartin »

@JonnyMcFly shares a very good point of reference.

Yes, there are known issues with booting from USBs on differing PCs. But, just about every PC ever built since 1995 will boot from its CD/DVD drive. Thus, if may be a proper solution for most every situation a tech addresses. ... so long as you insure the ISO you use will boot on either a BIOS/UEFI PC. Those PUPs I have tested do so, but my testing has been limited to 64bit PCs and I am unsure about 32bit PUPs which have been designed for UEFI use.

Hope this also helps the selection choice most beneficial to your travel needs.

cthisbear

#15 Post by cthisbear »

Hey! don't listen to my ramblings mate...re Galbi...ha!..ha!

::::::::::

What I do though is have a couple of different branded usbs
to boot troublesome computers.

I use Hiren's to boot it.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/usb-booting/

All versions...

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/category/all-versions/

Then i load multipups on it...and change the menu list.

+++++++++++

On others I put the Falcon and multipups.
Using his gdlr.

He has made USB setup easier with BootICE.
My mate uses this to setup Win 7 and 8.

I am downloading 4.6 to see if I can get a bootable usb
this way...here we go

"The process for making this into a bootable USB stick is much
easier than in v4.5.

Here's the premise:
there are two types of boot sectors that make something bootable:

- An MBR (master boot record) is in the very first sector of the drive.
Usually it just says "Boot the active partition's PBR".
It contains a list of partitions, and points to the correct PBR to boot.

- A PBR (partition boot record) is at the very start of the *partition*
(not the disk) and contains the code that boots the system from
that partition.

A Flash drive (or other removable drive, e.g. an SD card) only has a
PBR since it only contains one partition.
To create an MBR (unnecessary), you would need to reformat the drive. You can get away with only using a PBR.
Some Flash drives may be using an MBR as well -
so we just need to check that.

Here's how you do it:
---------------------

(1) Use any flash drive. -- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REFORMAT IT. --
NTFS or FAT32 will both work.
FAT32 formatted with 16kb sectors is best for most Flash drives.

(2) Extract the files from the ISO
(do NOT copy the ISO itself) to your USB drive.
(You should have F4UBCD, HBCD, BOOT, etc. folders in the
USB drive root.

(3) On the USB drive, browse to HBCD\WinTools and run BootICE.cmd.

(4) In BootICE,
SELECT YOUR FLASH DRIVE (important!)
and do the following:--- Click "Process MBR".
If it indicates "Unknown", skip this part.
Otherwise, verify that it's set to "Windows NT 5.x/6.x MBR".
Install it if needed.
You can't really mess this up.
--- Click "Process PBR".
It will usually say "Unknown" here, but if it says NTLDR or BOOTMGR,
it's been formatted by Windows to run the Windows boot loader.
We need to change this to GRUB4DOS.
Select GRUB4DOS and click "Install/Config".
Use the default options.
--- Click "Parts Manage".
If any partitions are shown here, you've got an MBR (that's OK).
Select the partition and make sure it's Active -
if it is, "Activate" will be greyed out.
Click it if needed, and hit Close.

You're done!
You've now got a bootable F4UBCD Flash drive.
No external tools needed! :)

His newest falcon.

https://falconfour.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -6-f4ubcd/

ISO:

CRC32: 9B4B46FF
MD5: 41E62394E1C8D406FB41B65B6CDEECEB
SHA-1: CF92E23BBF2084812E454E7C8272596F2AD860BA

Download the torrent
(save bandwidth, help others download it too!)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35284720/postfi ... .6.torrent

Then grab the v4.61 Patch to get up to date.

:::::

Or download v4.61 directly via HTTP
(be a freeloader! Or if you have trouble with the torrent!)

http://falcon4.pccloud9.me/FalconFour%2 ... 20v4.61.7z

Facebook:

http://fb.com/F4UBCD

""""""""

Please note some computers are crap at booting some usbs
and some Pups have problems.

That's why I use multi versions.

Read my posts here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=90

On my Quad core desktop I had this happen....fixed but I still can't
get these 2 Pups on this particular usb to complete booting on a
Dell laptop and a 2.5 dual core Gigabyte desktop.

Both Puppies refuse to see the sfs files. for Lucid 5.28.

Just tested a 2014 Super Lupu on the dual core..it boots.
no problems from the same usb.

""""""""""

Understand you can't always fix everything.

Why I use the Falcon boot cd is that his Ccleaner
can be awesome at cleaning out junk if it can see the
Windows version on C drive that you are trying to fix.

I use autoruns as well to clean startups or missing system files.
Ccleaner works on startups as well.

"""""

More on usbs here..too much info...

Use a different usb port.

Taking out the printer cable sometimes helps.

Something as simple as trying a different brand of
usb can achieve results.

Horrible usbs....Comsol was the worst.

I also had issues with Kingston 8G Data traveller
Finally the Hirens formatter loaded it.
Strange format I think like Tevlon.

An Aldi Tevlon usb also had 32 Fat strange formatting showing
in Gparted...strange Orange/Yellow triangle.

I formatted it as NTFS because it would not reformat to Fat32
and then reformatted it back again to Fat32....grhhh!

""""""""""
At least yours boots. Unlike...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97753

::::::::::

Crap usbs.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38704

""""""""""

Other usb guides.

Third last post....multipups

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=30

and No HD, boot from USB

Includes a link to A HP that will never boot from usb.
HP Pavilion ze4936ea

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2253658

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... d21cfa2c17

""""
Other Win help

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=630

:::::::::

Anyway good luck. Sorry if some overlap...cannot always find
the relevant posts I want.

Chris.

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

If you seriously want to do windows rescue work avoid rox and get something like Xfe or Thunar....Rox has a habit of crashing in folders with lots of files (system32 for example) which is a bit embarrasing in public :D

And sfs of xfe or thunar would do the trick.

usually if machine hopping you want to boot live anyway with no saves....my stick has no saves so would naturally run without.

mike