Portable browser's only bookmarks profile

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
watchdog

Portable browser's only bookmarks profile

#1 Post by watchdog »

I'm using alternatively palemoon and firefox. A new feature of firefox is the not portable general profile so I was convinced to sync in the cloud the firefox's profile. I also jump from a puppy to another. My problem is to keep synced my bookmarks among palemoon, firefox and the puppies. I think a new feature is required for browsers: a portable only bookmarks profile for all browsers and linux installs as html file, for example. How do you think to easily act to accomplish the task of exporting and importing bookmarks from a browsers to another so many times?

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, watchdog.

Mm. Well, I always have a 'current' copy of my bookmarks, as an HTML file, kept in a safe place. That, itself, is simple enough to achieve.

I'm guessing that what you want to do is to find a method by which you can 'link' that HTML file into each and every browser, yes? That's not so simple. As far as I understand it, bookmarks in the Mozilla-based browsers are stored in the form of an sqlite database file.....and even amongst those browsers, it's not always implemented the same way.

You like me, have probably found that the Mozilla 'sync' service does not work in anything like the 'tidy' way that it does in the Google ecosphere, for example. Stuff comes in, totally at random, and is seemingly put all over the place.....on the few occasions I've actually used Mozilla's 'sync', I've always needed to re-arrange everything to my liking afterwards!

Which explains why I don't tend to bother with it. And using mainly 'portable' versions as I do nowadays, I only need to import those bookmarks once. Afterwards, every Puppy is using the same 'install', so the bookmarks are available to all.....and I've discovered that it's perfectly possible for 32- and 64-bit versions of a given browser to share a common profile, since there's nothing architecture-specific in there; it's all text, .json and sqlite files.

Even extensions will work just the same, after being 're-enabled'.

Mike. :wink:

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

Mike Walsh wrote: Which explains why I don't tend to bother with it. And using mainly 'portable' versions as I do nowadays, I only need to import those bookmarks once.
When you jump from palemoon to firefox and rearrange bookmarks in each session you need every time to export bookmarks, delete the old bookmarks in the new browser and import again the bookmarks from the prior browser.

williams2

#4 Post by williams2 »

I put my bookmarks in a plain text file, which is accessable from any browser on any OS. I can setup my browsers to display the bookmarks file when they start. I use a simple script to convert the text to clickable links.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec > /mnt/home/PUP1/xenial/bookmarks.txt.html
echo '<html>'
while read a
do
case "$a" in
   https://*|http://*|ftp://*) echo '<a href="'"$a"'">'"$a"'</a><br>' ;;
   *) echo "$a"'<br>' ;;
esac
done < /mnt/home/PUP1/xenial/bookmarks.txt
echo '</html>'
This assumes the urls are lower case and each url is on one line, with any notes and comments on other lines.

rufwoof

#5 Post by rufwoof »

Hi williams2. I do similar. I have tilda terminal that drops-down/hide toggles like in Quake whenever I press F1 and I have tmux (multiple windows) running in that. One of those windows is a open mcedit of my bookmarks file. I also store notes etc in that. tilda auto coverts urls to clickable so clicking one opens the default browser to that url. Really easy to add/edit as no hypertext or whatever involved, and easily accessible via tilda drop-down also. I like tilda's cut/paste option also, much like lxterminal.

I like to start with a clean/new browser after each reboot, i.e. I boot frugally, use, don't save at the end of the session. Having bookmarks separate better fits with that.
Attachments
s.png
(22.07 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

foxpup

#6 Post by foxpup »

I find that profile of firefox before quantum, light, seamonkey and palemoon can be shared.
With firefox quantum I prefer not to share the profile because it messes up the icons in the bookmark bar. Not a big deal though.

Per default the profile is in
/root/.mozilla
'/root/.moonchild productions'
/root/.light
So they have to symlink to each other.

Inside this folder, there can be
firefox
seamonkey
'pale moon'
light
So, also these have to symlink to each other.

If you use cache, this also is part of the profile.
This is per default in
/root/.cache/mozilla/firefox
/root/.cache/light/light
/root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey
'/root/.cache/moonchild productions/pale moon'
So, also these should symlink to each other.

You have to puzzle how to do all this.
I have done it this way:
Open and close firefox.
In root are now .mozilla and .cache/mozilla/firefox.
In .mozilla I create symlinks for seamonkey, 'pale moon' and light to firefox.
I have moved .mozilla and .cache/mozilla/firefox 'outside', to /mnt/home.
Then I have created links to these folders for
'/root/.moonchild productions'
/root/.light
and
/root/.cache/light/light
/root/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey
'/root/.cache/moonchild productions/pale moon'

When I install/use a new Puppy, I just have to create these links to use the same profile.
You can make a pet with these links, for convenience.

BTW, there is also a tool in firefox to handle profiles.

about:profiles

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

williams2 wrote:I put my bookmarks in a plain text file, which is accessable from any browser on any OS.
Interesting idea but I use to open folders of 50-100 bookmarks at once using Tab Mix Plus extension in palemoon and Load Tab on Select in firefox: the tabs are loaded when you switch to them so no freeze (often I disable javascript, too). How can you open groups of links from a text file at once in a default browser?

williams2

#8 Post by williams2 »

How can you open groups of links from a text file at once in a default browser?

firefox $(cat bookmarks.txt)

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

williams2 wrote:
How can you open groups of links from a text file at once in a default browser?

firefox $(cat bookmarks.txt)
Yes, some scripting is required. In my opinion the developers of the main browsers should implement such a feature as a standard way to manipulate bookmarks in a standardized and portable text or html file from within the browser.

watchdog

#10 Post by watchdog »

Palemoon and firefox use the same standard way of bookmarks' Backup. Instead of exporting and importing bookmarks as html file you can use the bookmarks' Backup and Restore in a .json file. I will use this way of accomplishing my task at the moment. Thanks.