Strange bedfellows

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
labbe5

Strange bedfellows

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://news.softpedia.com/news/first-e ... 7424.shtml

Microsoft announced something Linux users would have never dreamed of, the first Microsoft Linux Conference for their WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) implementation.

If you never heard of WSL, let us tell you that Windows Subsystem for Linux is a compatibility layer designed by Microsoft to let you install GNU/Linux distributions and natively run Linux binaries on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019 operating systems.

Why bugs in Windows updates increase
Microsoft exchanged the in-house Testing team with Telemetry data that it gathers from Insider Builds that it pushes to consumer and business devices, and replaced much of the PCs that it used for testing with virtual environments.
All of that led to an increased number of issues and bugs that customers face on production machines when installing Windows updates or feature updates.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/09/23/forme ... increased/

Further reading :
How I ditched my old OS and jumped into Linux
At the same time, my future brother-in-law was visiting from Geneva, rocking an ancient ThinkPad with Debian installed on it. I'd watch over his shoulder occasionally and just marvel at how responsive and lightning-fast his OS was on relatively meager hardware.
Meanwhile, little things about the XPS 13 (with Windows 10) were irritating me, like its refusal to maintain a WiFi connection. And Microsoft was starting to generate more and more headlines about privacy settings "accidentally" reverting after a Windows Update.
To sum it up, my frustration with Windows and my curiosity about Linux converged. I decided to nuke the Windows installation and install Ubuntu on the XPS 13 and give it a shot for two weeks. I wrote about that at Forbes, and it became one of my most-viewed articles of all time.
It was such a surprisingly refreshing and smooth experience that I started throwing Ubuntu on everything I had.

https://opensource.com/article/19/9/fou ... deo-gaming
Last edited by labbe5 on Mon 30 Sep 2019, 10:34, edited 3 times in total.

nosystemdthanks

#2 Post by nosystemdthanks »

and now he has resigned from the fsf (as well as the board.)
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

foxpup

#3 Post by foxpup »

nosystemdthanks wrote:and now he has resigned from the fsf (as well as the board.)
You mean RSM.
This does not have to do with WSL.

I like RSM for his standpoints on free and open source, but I would probably not like him as a person.
WSL is another thing: it is totally b*llsh*t :D

nosystemdthanks

#4 Post by nosystemdthanks »

ugh, i forgot this thread wasnt about stallmans trip to microsoft.

wrong thread.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

foxpup

#5 Post by foxpup »

nosystemdthanks wrote:ugh, i forgot this thread wasnt about stallmans trip to microsoft.

wrong thread.
I understand your error now :)
I may be wrong about the reasons RSM has stepped down. They may not be what he says.