SeaMonkey-2.46 'portable' - and now, v2.48, too

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

SeaMonkey-2.46 'portable' - and now, v2.48, too

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Well, I guess it was inevitable, really. I've gone and done portable versions of pretty nearly every other Mozilla product (inspired by Fred, of course).....so why not SeaMonkey?

I'll be brutally honest; I don't like it, personally. Not my cup of tea at all. Even by Mozilla standards, it's 'quirky'. But there's plenty of recent mentions of it still on the Forums, and apparently 2.46 is kind of a 'watershed' version between 'older' ways of doing things, and 'newer' ways that break things, so.....

Here y'all go. 'Portable' SeaMonkey 2.46.

EDIT-07/10/19:- Seamonkey 2.48 packages can be found here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 11#1038911

---------------------------------------------

Works exactly the same as the others. Unzip the tarball. Place the 'seamonkey32' directory anywhere you like. Start 'er up by clicking on the 'smky' script inside. This creates an internal directory called 'profile'.....and that's where your profile will live. So long as you always start via the script, it'll always use the associated profile.

Credits for inspiration, of course, go to fredx181....

Easy-peasy. Enjoy. :D

----------------------------

For anyone who wants a MenuEntry for one of these portables, try this for a 'template':-

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Seamonkey internet Suite
Comment=Browse the internet
Exec=/path/to/your/portable-app's/start-up script
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/xxxxx.png
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=X-Internet-browser;
Copy/paste the above into a new document in Geany. Title it '(Whatever).desktop'. Change the 'Name' to suit. Save it to /usr/share/applications.

Change the 'Exec' path to reflect the location of your 'portable'.

You can find suitable PNG icons for anything with an 'icon search' with Google, DuckDuckGo, etc. I find a 256x256 PNG icon works fine; Rox/JWM will auto-resize it to fit. These want to go in /usr/share/pixmaps. Make sure the names of the icon and the line in the script match.

When you're happy with it, make sure it's finally saved. Open a terminal, and run 'fixmenus'. Then re-start 'X'.

Bingo! You now have a Menu entry for your portable...

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 21:10, edited 4 times in total.

darry19662018

#2 Post by darry19662018 »

Nice so far got it running in Lucid Puppy 525 retro with a glic 2.19 update.
[/url]
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks a lot, Mike.

The least I could do was to simplify obtaining a menu-listing for it. So I've attached a pet.

Decompress Mike's SeaMonkey-2.46...tar.gz. Browse within the decompressed folder until you see the folder just named seamonkey32. Right-Click it and change its name to seamonkey246. [No capital letter]. Open a file-manager window to /mnt/home. Left-Press, hold then drag the seamonkey246 folder onto /mnt/home and Select Move. Download and install the attached pet.

To avoid conflicting with any other Seamonkey application you may have and reflect that this is the 2.46 version, reference to ‘portable’ and 246 was often made in the files & folders. It will appear on the Menu as Seamonkey2.46_portable.

If you place the portable folder somewhere other than /mnt/home, open your text editor to /root/my-applications/bin and edit the path.
Attachments
SeaMonkey_portable-246.pet
Creates Menu-Listing for Seamonkey 2.46 portable
(5.93 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

kuman11

#4 Post by kuman11 »

mike,
I tried to install this .pet, now don't see it in menu ...

After that I restarted X & a failure occurred, both Monkeys couldn't find the profile when I tried to run them ...

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi kuman,

Based on your post, I setup a new version of Slacko 5.7.2CE by moving its SaveFile, rebooted and created a new SaveFile. Downloaded Mike Walsh's package and the above pet. Followed the instructions in my above post. I'm posting from it now, but could also start the builtin version of Seamonkey 2.35.

After decompressing the tar.gz, did you remember to change the name of the seamonkey32 folder to seamonkey246? Move it to /mnt/home? After installing the pet, did you run Menu>setup>Menu Manager to update the Menu?

Edit: Builtin Seamonkey still has its addons -- these would be stored in its profiles. Opened seamonkey-portable and created a bookmark. It would be stored in its profile. Closed and re-opended seamonkey. The bookmark I had made was still there.

kuman11

#6 Post by kuman11 »

mike,

I haven't run 'Menu>setup>Menu Manager'
What value should I put in it?
Last edited by kuman11 on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 09:34, edited 2 times in total.

kuman11

#7 Post by kuman11 »

Mike,
I moved & symlinced SM32 & 143 Mb of RAM didn't recover ... Do I need to restart s/t to get it back?

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

I'm interested to know why Seamonkey 2.46 and not Seamonkey 2.48. Seamonkey 2.48 works with gclib2.15 libraries (I don't think anything earlier though).

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

nic007 wrote:I'm interested to know why Seamonkey 2.46 and not Seamonkey 2.48. Seamonkey 2.48 works with gclib2.15 libraries (I don't think anything earlier though).
@ Nic:-

Ah, that was something of an arbitrary decision, mate. There's been a lot of talk on the forum recently, in assorted different threads, about how 2.46 is apparently the last version that supports a lot of older ways of doing things.....apparently, after that, some things don't seem to work the same way they used to.

Like I said, even among the Mozilla-based browsers, SM is not a 'favourite' of mine, so I don't tend to keep up with it in quite the same way as I've begun to with the Quantum-based FFs.

I can soon knock together a 2.48 version if you think it would be popular.

Mike. Image

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Mike Walsh wrote:
nic007 wrote:I'm interested to know why Seamonkey 2.46 and not Seamonkey 2.48. Seamonkey 2.48 works with gclib2.15 libraries (I don't think anything earlier though).

Ah, that was something of an arbitrary decision, mate. There's been a lot of talk on the forum recently, in assorted different threads, about how 2.46 is apparently the last version that supports a lot of older ways of doing things.....apparently, after that, some things don't seem to work the same way they used to.

Like I said, even among the Mozilla-based browsers, SM is not a 'favourite' of mine, so I don't tend to keep up with it in quite the same way as I've begun to with the Quantum-based FFs.

I can soon knock together a 2.48 version if you think it would be popular.

Mike. Image
Just a matter of interest because version 2.48 is supposed to be the last gclib2 version. Version 2.48 runs OOTB on Precise 571 which has gclib2.15 but not on Racy which has gclib2.10 (although that may be because of the way the puppys were compiled). Also - I'm not quite familiar with your portable versions but what advantages does it have in comparison to downloading the tarball, converting it to sfs and running the executable from the loaded sfs Seamonkey folder?

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

nic007 wrote:Just a matter of interest because version 2.48 is supposed to be the last gclib2 version. Version 2.48 runs OOTB on Precise 571 which has gclib2.15 but not on Racy which has gclib2.10 (although that may be because of the way the puppys were compiled). Also - I'm not quite familiar with your portable versions but what advantages does it have in comparison to downloading the tarball, converting it to sfs and running the executable from the loaded sfs Seamonkey folder?
From the sound of things, probably none at all.....apart from the one fact that the profile is also portable; wherever you take the browser, the profile's there, too, ready to go. Most of the portables I've put together recently are Mozilla-based, inspired by Fred's FF-Quantum portable, and take advantage of the fact that all Mozilla's stuff runs from a single, self-contained directory.

Mostly, playing around with 'em just to see if they would work, TBH. Since the principle was sound, and they did, I published them. No more, no less; I've always been an adherent of the maxim 'Choice in all things' when it comes to Puppy software. The more ways we have of doing something, the better as far as I'm concerned.

An SFS, of course, you load/unload as & when wanted. These things will sit completely outside the Puppy file-system, and will start from a custom Menu-entry or a sym-link. They'll run from a USB stick, so they truly are portable between machines/Puppies.....and you can even run these on a different distro; there's nothing Puppy-specific about them. The 'pulseaudio' stuff is self-contained......and GTK-3.0 is pretty much default issue across mainstream distros these days.

Up till around 6 months ago I was also using AntiX 16.1. I took a copy of Fred's portable-Quantum, put it on a USB stick. Fired up AntiX, plugged the stick in, mounted it, navigated to it, then clicked on the start script.

It fired straight up, and ran.....without issue. You never know, I might even take a crack at Basilisk, or TOR; we'll see how the mood takes me..! Image (They're all Mozilla-based, and all work the same way....so why not? The same principle ought to apply....)

Mike. Image

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

Now then, boys & girls.

Following points raised above by Nic, and a certain degree of personal experimentation, I've now put together two 'portables' for SeaMonkey 2.48.....the very last of the GTK2 builds, I believe.

- A standard build of 2.48 (fine in the likes of Precise 571, Slackos 560/570, etc.....as Nic says, anything with glibc 2.15 or higher, and
- A glibc219-'tweaked' version for older Pups - using watchdog's method, as usual.....all thanks to him.

You can find them at my Google Drive, as always:-

'Standard' Seamonkey 2.48

Glibc_219 'tweaked' Seamonkey 2.48

Usage instructions as in the first post, above. Download; unzip; move the 'seamonkey32' folder where you want it, and start it with the 'smky' script inside.

Help yourselves to the version you want; these are all 32-bit builds for now. I'll see about putting a 64-bit version of 2.48 together if anybody's interested, like.

As always.....enjoy.

mikeslr

2.46 vs. 2.48: Netvideohunter

#13 Post by mikeslr »

Seamonkey 2.46 was the last version of Seamonkey into which Netvideohunter could be installed without employing the Classic Addon archive. https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases. As I wrote previously, Netvideohunter remains the easiest way to download videos.

Moose On The Loose

Re: 2.46 vs. 2.48: Netvideohunter

#14 Post by Moose On The Loose »

mikeslr wrote:Seamonkey 2.46 was the last version of Seamonkey into which Netvideohunter could be installed without employing the Classic Addon archive. https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases. As I wrote previously, Netvideohunter remains the easiest way to download videos.
It appears that youtube now often prevents you from using netvideohunter.
I used to fairly often grab a copy of something after I watched it. Usually this would be a bit of science or the like where something really needed a freeze frame for me to study it.

oui

Re: SeaMonkey-2.46 'portable' - and now, v2.48, too

#15 Post by oui »

Mike Walsh wrote:Unzip the tarball. Place the 'seamonkey32' directory anywhere you like.:
My method was different until today

- rename the /usrlib/seamonkey link (or the firefox link if derivate with firefox!) in /usr/lib/mozold
- create a dir, not a link, under the same name
- download from the seamonkey site (see under help in Seamonkey or google!)
- hit on it in rox
- Puppy-unzip opens
- mark all
- unzip all into the new dir according step 2
- move with rox all the content a level higher in the tree...
- if needing create a link

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/lib/[newdirname]/seamonkey /usr/lib/[newdirname]/firefox
- try it :idea:
- if it goes, you can now erase that what is old and remaster :lol: (don't forget to include your flashplayer :wink: ! and you can add a dir /root/.mozilla containing minimal start values, your start page on Puppy forum or else and bookmarks/bookmarkbar and an event. second open window for ex. for the online editor of http://inputking.com (that editor works in each language and writing incl. chinese, devanagari etc. but includes supp. fonts in /usr/share/fonts/... and hunspell's in /usr/share/hunspell/... With it, you can use puppy avoiding the complex installation of some input method) : if you work without savefile (as I) each new session contains only that, what you are willing to open to all risks in the internet :roll: - probably the best protection you can have!

goes until seamonkey-2.46 with the most not terribly old puppy's (eventually under adding of dependencies; a *.pet with then exists somewhere in that forum!)

(in case of ff is, of course, no firefox available under the actual settings any more!)

but...

did do try yourself same thing as
Mike Walsh wrote:Unzip the tarball. Place the 'seamonkey32' directory anywhere you like.:
with the new seamonkey-2.49.5?

surprise, surprise...

note: seamonkey-2.45.4 goes also so but only in adequate new puppy's with the new lib's!!!

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ oui:-

It's like with most things in Linux; there's always lots of different ways of achieving the same outcome.

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose".....or words to that effect, n'est-ce pas?

It's why I like Linux so much.....because it's so versatile. You can write the most bit-perfect code, or you can throw together a quick'n'dirty, 'hacky' workaround.....and they'll both end up giving you the same result.

So which 'method' do you use, hmm? :?

The one you're satisfied with, of course..... :D Linux is far more of an individualist's OS than Windoze could ever hope to be ('cos Microsoft want to control it down to the last byte of code, yet at the same time they keep trying to make it an OS for 'everyman') - notwithstanding the efforts of certain organisations to make Linux a mirror image of Redmond's abomination (yes, I'm looking at you, Canonical).

And Puppy, as a 'hobbyist' distro, takes that 'individualism' just about as far as it possibly can. So we run as root. Big deal. So we don't use 'sudo', and log-in, and run separate user accounts. Hah. And we don't 'auto-update'. Who cares?

I think I'm probably correct in saying that while you certainly can't 'please all of the folk, all of the time', Puppy arguably manages to satisfy most folks, a majority of the time. And that's good enough for me.

oui

Re: SeaMonkey-2.46 'portable' - and now, v2.48, too

#17 Post by oui »

Hi Mike

:wink:

yes, of course, but now the new question again:
oui wrote:but...

did do try yourself same thing as
with the new seamonkey-2.49.5?

surprise, surprise...
:?: