HowTo get ur own climate data from NOAA

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
jafadmin

HowTo get ur own climate data from NOAA

#1 Post by jafadmin »

This is a public domain python app that uses publicly accessible NOAA data from their Global Historic Climate Network (GHCN). This is the entire official climate record for the last 125 years.

>>> NOAA GHCN web page <<<

You will need a Linux box that has Python 3.6 or higher installed with the matplotlib & numpy libs. I don't recommend trying this with frugal puppies. It is too resource intensive. (Both ram and disk space)

I use Linux Mint V19 for this.

Download the gzip file. If you extract it on your Mint desktop, it will create the GHCN directory structure. Follow the instructions in the "readme" and the header of the "getghcn" script.

The "getghcn" script will download the latest data, create a dated directory for it, merge the daily files into a single "US.txt" dataset, and update the links.

Scrutinize the Bash and Python scripts. This is extremely simple "Dick & Jane" data science.
Attachments
GHCN.tar.gz
(244.19 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Last edited by jafadmin on Tue 07 Jan 2020, 19:56, edited 3 times in total.

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

If you look in the header of the python script, you can see all the "import" dependencies your python install will need to meet.

To toggle how the "Y axis" displays, click the "toggle" button at the bottom then click on one of the "Y Axis" buttons (Avg Max, Avg Min, Avg Mean, etc ..).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I asked for a text file, or at least a website, that explains in plain language where the numbers in that data set came from and what they mean, not a program that crunches the numbers for me. If that huge pile of numbers is from an official U.S. government website, there must be a plain-language explanation of it somewhere.

jafadmin

#4 Post by jafadmin »

Flash wrote:I asked for a text file, or at least a website, that explains in plain language where the numbers in that data set came from and what they mean, not a program that crunches the numbers for me. If that huge pile of numbers is from an official U.S. government website, there must be a plain-language explanation of it somewhere.
Oh, good lord .. :roll: Do you need someone to pour the milk on your cornflakes for you, too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hi ... gy_Network

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Thanks. That led me to the actual NOAA GHCN web page, which is what I wanted.

jafadmin

#6 Post by jafadmin »

Flash wrote:Thanks. That led me to the actual NOAA GHCN web page, which is what I wanted.
An Internet weirdism .. If you enter "GHCN" into any search engine, the GHCN website will be the first listing. No troll .. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Why didn't you post the link to the NOAA web page in your OP of the other thread? That seems like a pretty reasonable thing to ask.

jafadmin

#8 Post by jafadmin »

Flash wrote:Why didn't you post the link to the NOAA web page in your OP of the other thread? That seems like a pretty reasonable thing to ask.
Point taken .. :)