Computer freezes. Probably relates to graphics hardware

Booting, installing, newbie
MrAccident

Computer freezes. Probably relates to graphics hardware

#1 Post by MrAccident »

When it happens ― I see diagonal lines on the screen, and have to shut the computer. I know it's not only the screen ― because audio stops as well.
I've recently installed Bionic-Pup-64; but there were problems before; so I'll divide it accordingly:
• In Slacko 5.7.0 ― it started when my graphics-card broke. I had to switch to the other of the 2 VGA connectors. The freezing happened ― every time I checked the display devices in Sysinfo; and probabilistically ― when I launched FireFox | Pale moon; some other times; and lately, after Pale Moon update ― every time - in FaceBook-Messenger.
All these are probably because ― I didn't reinstall Puppy, thus didn't reran the graphics setup etc.
• In Bionic ― all the previous problems - are gone. So everything is fine; I don't know why I made this post; bye. OK kidding. Now there's at least 1 big problem, also probabilistic \ doesn't happen every time ― it's when a video is playing, and while playing - either: switching to\from full-screen mode, or resizing the window. It happens in both VLC and mpv. Anyway - it seems that what triggers it ― is sudden changes.

Obviously it's a difficult problem, and probably doesn't relate directly to Puppy; hopefully there will be a solution.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

So during video playback? Bionic runs the Compton compositor.

Maybe adjust mpv >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mp ... ompositors

No joy? Maybe >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mp ... nd_tearing

Still no joy? >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mp ... igurations
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

it started when my graphics-card broke. I had to switch to the other of the 2 VGA connectors.
What is the graphics card?
What is the computer?
Make and model?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

MrAccident

#4 Post by MrAccident »

@bigpup - forgot a little detail; I thus - don't use the card; so probably the CPU takes care of the graphics.
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor
The computer is assembled.

MrAccident

#5 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme you're the king. :D
vo=xv alone ― fixes the problem. The rest ― make playback even better; but how much do they lower the quality? Do you recommend some, against some?

Code: Select all

vd-lavc-fast 
vd-lavc-skiploopfilter=<skipvalue>
vd-lavc-skipframe=<skipvalue>
vd-lavc-framedrop=<skipvalue>
vd-lavc-threads=<threads>
Do you have something for VLC? I always used it, and never used mpv; though it looks good so far.