Problem installing Smartlink modem driver

Using applications, configuring, problems
Zonkle

Problem installing Smartlink modem driver

#1 Post by Zonkle »

Hello,

I love Puppy :)

But to continue using it, I need the modem to work.

I have internal modem .... so as the How To suggests, I downloaded the SL modem package and installed it from the Pup Get from "local", but when I go to the "Modem Wizard" I can't see the new ports ... I mean I can only see the usual ttsy0 ... to ttsy4 .. I think I'm supposed to see something like SL0 right?

So what do I have to do?

Thanks.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Reboot Puppy, then run the Modem Wizard, then you should
see the SL0 button ....I hope.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Zonkle, could you please give a link to the How To that tells about the SL modem package? Thanks.

Zonkle

#4 Post by Zonkle »

BarryK, I did reboot using the shutdown menu then "Reboot Computer", but I still get nothing.
Also I check the "Pup Get Manager" and it says that I have the SL Modem files installed.
I actually downloaded two packages of the Sl Modem and installed them, is that what I'm supposed to do? Or I have to get them all ? I see different numbering on them.

"Flash", Look in the How to in the help in Puppy Linux or in the Modem Wizard ,it talks about it.

You just gotta go to the download web page of Puppy Linux, then look for the packages folder, then look for the slmodem files, download them, then some how take them into Linux and use the "Pup Get Manager" select the sl modems, after that select to install from local.

Cya ;)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

I actually downloaded two packages of the Sl Modem and installed them, is that what I'm supposed to do? Or I have to get them all ? I see different numbering on them.
Two packages?

No, Puppy is running the 2.4.29 kernel, and you only download
one package, that states it is for the 2.4.29 kernel.

Hmm, I think that I should get rid of those other ones, they
cause confusion.

Anyway, uninstall *both*, then start again, just reinstall the one package.

Al

Re the Smartlink Modem Problem

#6 Post by Al »

Been wrestling with trying to get a Smartlink modem working on Puppy. (I finally got the Smartlink modem I have on another box to work with "standard" hard-drive linux. Re Puppy, I have noticed one thing which seems important. After downloading the right slmodem package, doing the modem wizard thing and rebooting: If you do "lsmod," you will probably see that the slamr module is not loaded. And, for some reason, it will not install with "modprobe slamr." This looks like THE problem, but of course I have no solution. I don't think the slmodem package can ever work if the slamr module is not loaded. (For some reason, the slusb module does get loaded.)

Zonkle

#7 Post by Zonkle »

BarryK I downloaded the right version .. now I see SL in the modem wizard ,, but it says FAILD :(