[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

jonyo

#202 Post by jonyo »

the future of puppy linux is manifesting before your very eyes

rcrsn51

#203 Post by rcrsn51 »

First, we should apologize to puppyite for hijacking his thread. But it was Bernie who first posted here by mistake. If Bernie wants to continue the discussion, he should return to the thread here.

OTOH, I am waiting for a response to the evidence that there was no censorship of Bernie's posts by the moderators.

[quote]While you’re looking at an elementary semantics text, or even a dictionary, note the difference betweens generals and particulars. One cannot specifically observe any general. One can only observe particulars. Again what was observed, by me, is that a near-infinite supply always tends towards zero demand with possibly human necessities -- food, water, air, clothing, shelter -- excepted. See if you can figure out what “observe

jonyo

#204 Post by jonyo »

depends if is is

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#205 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

[quote="Jasper"]Hi by_the_sea,

Do you now claim (i.e. state to be true) that “particular
[color=green]Frugal[/color]: Knoppix 6.4.4 DVD
[color=blue]USB[/color]: DSL 4.4.10
[color=red]Full[/color]: WinXP Pro
Puppy (Feb. 4 - May 12, 2011) led me back to Linux.

jonyo

#206 Post by jonyo »

i wasn't sure where i read them or the exact content but did have a glance, i recall some displeasure and rationale with leadership or lack thereof in relation to pup variants and options ..something

off topic was rarely enforced or even much of a theme (other than the off topic area) in my experience when i was quite active

i have yet to find anything current in regards to forum etiquette and raised the issue years ago

along with ~ users are the foundation of a distro, so go the forums so goes a distro

jpeps

#207 Post by jpeps »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote: Puppy fits into two of those niches, namely a system for learning Linux and a system for antique computers, a system for those who can’t afford anything better. As soon as one acquires some basic skills and/or more disposable income one should move on to a better operating system. Of course some will never acquire those basic skills or move out of poverty so Puppy can continue to work for them.
I really don't fit into any of your categories. Anyway, I think for folks like yourself, where it takes 100 hours to set it up, it's a good idea to move on, like you say.

Jasper

#208 Post by Jasper »

Hi by_the_sea,

My response to your question is yes.

Why is your response to my simple question avoidance at any cost?

The obvious answer is that you are clueless, careless, totally incompetent and worse than useless.

In the unlikely event that you can make a reasoned comment I may respond.

Otherwise, as they say in the classics, goodbye not au revoir.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#209 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote: Puppy fits into two of those niches, namely a system for learning Linux and a system for antique computers, a system for those who can’t afford anything better. As soon as one acquires some basic skills and/or more disposable income one should move on to a better operating system. Of course some will never acquire those basic skills or move out of poverty so Puppy can continue to work for them.
jpeps wrote:I really don't fit into any of your categories. Anyway, I think for folks like yourself, where it takes 100 hours to set it up, it's a good idea to move on, like you say.
Yeah, it took me about four hours to install and set up Debian Squeeze the way I wanted it, including a net connection, adding three apps from outside the repositories, rearranging the desktop, adding a half dozen icons to the task bar, preferences for two browsers, etc. It took less time than that to set up frugal Knoppix that’s about 65 times larger than Puppy. It took me most of a day to set up Damn Small Linux originally including adding three browsers, a net connection, cosmetic changes, adding a couple of graphic time-killer games, creating a better persistent file system, etc. Puppy’s time is more in line with Windows. Puppy just isn’t usable out of the box for anything I wanted to do with a computer. Puppy needed fixing after nearly every time-consuming dependency-chasing app-breaking change I made. It was like assembling a puzzle with broken and missing pieces, a challenging game. After I finally got the puzzle finished, I have no further use for it. I suppose I could shellac it and hang it on the wall but people would just ask me why I wasted my time on such a poor puzzle. At least it did provide a lot of experience in fixing a poorly designed operating system.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#210 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Jasper wrote:Hi by_the_sea,

My response to your question is yes.
What about my question before that one, "What’s a synonym for observe?"
Jasper wrote: Why is your response to my simple question avoidance at any cost?

The obvious answer is that you are clueless, careless, totally incompetent and worse than useless.

In the unlikely event that you can make a reasoned comment I may respond.

Otherwise, as they say in the classics, goodbye not au revoir.
Simple is the right word meaning a question of a simpleton. You haven’t asked a logical rational reasonable question. You don't comprehend what I said so you can't ask a logical rational reasonable question about it. You’re the one who needs a keeper in adult company.

Which “classics

puppyluvr

#211 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Bernie....
OK, you are not some dumbass trying to use an OS...
If you were, you would not have so much B.S.
Consider that you, regardless if you realize it, by your "knowledge level", tend to ask more, dig deeper, and find that which most "casual users" may never encounter...??? Yes??? Maybe???
Look, much as some others, I dont care if you "rub me the wrong way"
I dont care if anyone agrees or does not agree, with you, me, or Linus himself...
I care what makes Puppy better...
Help us do that Bernie....
But be nice man, as we are a bit defensive about our little dog...
In your own admittance we cant be blamed...
Puppy isnt perfect...But it is in a class by itself...
Embrace it, and make it better...
Be a part of the solution...Or STFU.....
Much love..... :wink:
PuppyLuvr......

@Edit...Please dont STFU, as you are generally accurate in your derision of Puppy and Linux in general...
Note problems...offer solutions???
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

WhoDo

#212 Post by WhoDo »

puppyluvr wrote: Be a part of the solution...Or STFU.....
FINALLY ... a sentiment in this thread that I can wholeheartedly concur with! Too bad you recanted so quickly, puppyluvr! :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

jonyo

#213 Post by jonyo »

given what i've seen here in the past and even now, i have no issue with bbts

long time vets confirm issues that bbts brings up

you deal with a problem otherwise it gets bigger

jpeps

#214 Post by jpeps »

IMHO Puppy tries too hard to be everyone's friend. A small, efficient distro should be expected to offer some challenges, especially when trying to compile. Missing deps? duh.. I don't see anything at all wrong with spending less time screwing around with computers, if someone's not interested. If they are, Puppy offers an abundance of available expertise. My own feeling is that the end result is worth it.

jonyo

#215 Post by jonyo »

gimme a break
Jasper wrote:The obvious answer is that you are clueless, careless, totally incompetent and worse than useless.

Jasper

#216 Post by Jasper »

Hi jonyo,

Perhaps you can give me, and a few other forum members, a break.

Since you agree with Bernie you might enlighten us on exactly what economic phenomenon he observed and how he has improved and helped Puppy.

I am happy to be educated.

My regards

jonyo

#217 Post by jonyo »

Jasper wrote:Hi jonyo,

Perhaps you can give me, and a few other forum members, a break.
no sweat good luck

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#218 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Jasper wrote: Since you agree with Bernie you might enlighten us on exactly what economic phenomenon he observed and how he has improved and helped Puppy.
I said nothing about "economic" or "phenomenon." Try looking at the real world once in a while instead of relying solely on your own imagination. For improvements and help try reading some of my posts in other threads. Since you claim none were deleted it shouldn’t take long to find some helpful information.
Jasper wrote:I am happy to be educated.
Educating you is not an easy job. You refuse to learn. You prefer daydreaming. What’s a synonym for observe?

jonyo

#219 Post by jonyo »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ]Shouldn't this be more important than we seem to keep making it, as I absolutely fail to understand why ANY new version of Puppy is needed IF the old ones aren't finally FIXED!
[/quote]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0[quote]No doubt some have read this before.[/quote]
didn't seem that big a deal years ago when i was new to pup and thrilled

i have not only read but observed it all awhile ago
Last edited by jonyo on Sat 21 May 2011, 18:29, edited 2 times in total.

Jasper

#220 Post by Jasper »

by_the_sea,

You used the word “observe