Fatdog wifi connection hangs up (Solved)

PappyPuppy

Fatdog wifi connection hangs up (Solved)

#1 Post by PappyPuppy »

Just curious how I should diagnose my Internet connection's problem. I use wpa_gui, I scan, then set up the password for the wifi, then I connect, then I browse, but it rarely browses again - it hangs up. It doesn't completely disconnect, but it hangs up. Should I try to find the driver. Not being a Linux guru, any hint where the driver is so I can check the date? And should I just run the regular fatdog updates? I am very cynical about updates, but I'm willing to update my Fatdog since I don't think it's one of the cynicallees of my cyniciser. So anyway, what should I do to solve this Internet connections drop off problem? New wifi adapter, some sort of test? Debugger with some winsock code? I don't know - I'm clueless where to begin, but in the meantime, I'll try to do most browsing on a different machine(s). But at least I can browse some with the machine and get some work done. It just drives me nuts to
keep disconnecting, then reconnecting all the time. I guess I'm about 60% as efficient on this machine as I should be. And I feel like a chimpanzee - maybe I am a little bit chimp in my ancestry, I don't know. :D
Forgot to mention, Fatdog is a cool operating system, lots of nice applications to use. Fun time with it other than this, and some occasional word processor bugaroos.

PappyPuppy

I lost it all but now I can connect again

#2 Post by PappyPuppy »

Now the question is, how much is it connecting?

I've begun to understand where all the drivers are etc, etc../ip/...

And kernel stuff
, like all the rtlwifi, rtl8192c-common pci wireless
rti_usb USB basic driver for rltwifi, mac80211

One comment, not sure if it's important: it says Netis Model WF2120 on the little dongle thingie. I guess this is still Realtek? I would like to research why it says Netis, that's all. Just one of those curiosities about why it doesn't say Realtek if that's what the drivers say.

I guess I'll run for a couple days on this one and see if it just sort of worked into getting better.
:D

PappyPuppy

Just curious about the Netis .... etc. on the device itself.

#3 Post by PappyPuppy »

My connection eventually works, just real slow, so this thread can be taken low-priority, unless someone has something final to add, perhaps about the Netis. I'll look this up myself.

Connection is just slow sometimes due to traffic.

PappyPuppy

I can get connections by sending terminates to the dhcp gui

#4 Post by PappyPuppy »

It will get an IP address after it hangs if I try to stop the dhcp gui app. Funny.
It's stuck in some message loop or some timeout loop.

I've ordered a new wireless receiver in the meantime.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

You say it "hangs up" but you're a bit vague about exactly what it does when that happens. We need more info about the symptoms to diagnose your problem.

PappyPuppy

#6 Post by PappyPuppy »

Flash wrote:You say it "hangs up" but you're a bit vague about exactly what it does when that happens. We need more info about the symptoms to diagnose your problem.
After ordering a couple new adapters on ebay, I simply unplugged the existing adapter, and replaced it with the new one. They are all of the 802.11n variety, and I guess they can use similar drivers. The new one has not yet hung up a single time, so I guess I'll just close out on this thread on that note. I will not have time in the near future to investigate the "hang-ups".

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

It might be helpful to someone else if you told us which adapters did and didn't work for you. :wink:

PappyPuppy

Adapters that worked better

#8 Post by PappyPuppy »

Flash wrote:It might be helpful to someone else if you told us which adapters did and didn't work for you. :wink:
They came in both 150 MB and 300 MB varieties, are red in color, and say USB 2.0/802.11n on the box. Perhaps Taiwan, I don't know. The netis in the pic initialized to a slightly different IP address generally. The DHCP server seems to run differently on the newer adatper - this sounds strange but then again, the Netis adapter acted strangely. The new adapter always stays connected, once it connects.

I am just beginning to look, at the drivers and the adapters. I may have time some time to get picky about the driver and it's settings. This may matter.
Attachments
USBWifis-2.jpg
Two USB Wifis for comparison
(141.9 KiB) Downloaded 209 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Hmm, so the one with the antenna connection is the one that works? Is there an antenna connected to it? If so, maybe that's why it works and the one without a visible antenna doesn't.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

PappyPuppy

So Netis WF2120 is ok, it's more a driver issue

#11 Post by PappyPuppy »

Thanks Semme, I suspected it may have been a driver issue. Hopefully, your post and the Github code will make things clearer, as it's a bit confusing to me what is going on. The Amazon link clearly shows that some users were not pleased with the WF2120. Perhaps I should go on Amazon some time, and post a message that drivers are available that seem to fix the problem. I have not yet tested my adapter with a new driver. I'll have to build/download one from Github.