Universal Password Manager

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
night flight

Universal Password Manager

#1 Post by night flight »

Since I had difficulties to use Figaros Password Manager 2, which on the one hand belongs to the board equipment of Slacko 5.7, but which on the other hand really did not work and which ist not well-documented, I set out to find a viable alternative.

Again it turns out that especially solutions programmed in Java cut a good figure. They don't bitch about missing libraries, they just work.

As far as I can see, the Universal Password Manager (UPM) has not been introduced here yet. I found it, I called it, and I found it useful.

Not well-documented, too. But it is rather intuitive.

You can create as many databases as you want. So you can spread the risk.

You can call URLs directly from the data set.

Also useful to put some notes in the vault.

[edit 2019-03-16 13:47]Well, It is not a happy idea to place the "Generate" button right next to the field where the password is stored. You could also call it "Destroy" button. (Other software, like Essential PIM [Windows only], has the same flaw here.)

Since I have my passwords in my head, I now write them down in the notes field, masked, e.g. for "Einstein123" "E*********3". That's enough for me.

The individual goals I call this way:

Filehosting : FTP : Provider X
Filehosting : WebDAV : Provider Y
Forums : Murga-Linux
Forums : Forum 2

That's a pseudo tree then.

And one should not use the clipboard-related feature of this application. Later on, I found the passwords I called this way in the clipboard manager, plain text…
I use a Lenovo IdeaPad S10-2, built in 2009. I love it. My Slacko 5.7 (32 Bit) is on a 10 GB SD Card. So I can boot it everywhere (Smartphones excluded :P ).