Audacity 2.3.1 for bionicpup64 and upupbb

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
watchdog

Audacity 2.3.1 for bionicpup64 and upupbb

#1 Post by watchdog »

I have built the new audacity sfs from ppa rep and dependencies.

audacity_2.3.1-bb18.04_amd64.sfs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/161nqE3 ... sp=sharing

audacity_2.3.1-bb18.04_i386.sfs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1seI3q5 ... sp=sharing

Work for me in live session.

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

works for me Bionic64-v8 kernel 4.19.25-rt16 SMP PREEMPT RT x86_64

thanks for the work! it runs great.

festus

#3 Post by festus »

audacity_2.3.1-bb18.04_i386.sfs works great in upupbb-18.05+28 using rockedge kernel 5.0.1

Thank you watchdog for your work

bliss,
festus

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

I add here an audacity 2.3.1 experimental sfs for disco dingo (upupdd).

audacity-2.3.1.i386_19.04.sfs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XNCSbu ... sp=sharing

EDIT: sorry! Reuploaded. Libportaudio2 and libjack were missing.

icosahedron

#5 Post by icosahedron »

Hi Watchdog,

Is it possible to make a PET of this? I don't have the skills for installing a sfs, and I'd really like to use this.

Thanks.
Computers: - I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Console/Terminal? What's that?
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

icosahedron wrote:Hi Watchdog,

Is it possible to make a PET of this? I don't have the skills for installing a sfs, and I'd really like to use this.
What puppy are you using?

icosahedron

#7 Post by icosahedron »

Hi, I'm usng BionicPup 8.0
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

icosahedron wrote:Hi Watchdog,

Thanks.
No skills necessary; nor is a pet. I assume you have a Full Install despite the many posts indicating that Frugal installs have many advantages not the least of which is the ease of recovery when something goes wrong. It's almost impossible to fix a broken Full Install. The main reason for using a Full Install is having an under powered (CPU) computer with limited RAM. If you can run Bionicpup64 at all, you don't have such computer.

If you have a Frugal Install you just Right-Click the SFS and select "SFS-Load" from the Popup menu.

If you have a Full install, Left-Click the SFS and from the GUI which opens, select "Install SFS".

If you have a Frugal install using an SFS is preferable to using a pet. When you install a pet it decompresses into your SaveFile/Folder taking up about 3 times the space of the compressed pet. Installed, it always requires some RAM reducing the amount of RAM you have available for doing work. A loaded but unopened SFS uses less RAM. An unloaded SFS uses none. Installing a pet may result in overwriting some files used by other applications, breaking them. An SFS doesn't install. If its files conflict with other applications you can unload it when you want to use those other applications.

But, if you want to "convert" an SFS into a pet it's easy. Using your file manager Right-Click an empty space, select New>directory and give it a name such as Audacity-2.3.1. Left Click that folder and leave it open. Now Left-Click the SFS to mount it and Left-Click "View". In the Window which opens you want to "Show hidden files". If your file-manager is rox, left-click it's EYE. If a different file-manager, ask how. Place your mouse-cursor on an empty space in that Window, Left-Click it to focus your file-manager on it, then hold down your Ctrl-key while typing "a". All the files and folders in that window will be high-lighted. Left-Press, Hold, than drag any file or folder from that window into your Audacity-2.3.1 folder and Select copy. All the files and folders in the mounted SFS window will be copied into the Audacity-2.3.1 folder.

Left-click the SFS to unmount it. Use your file-manager to browse one level up from your Audacity-2.3.1 folder --click the Up-Arrow on Rox's tool bar. You should now see the Audacity-2.3.1 as a folder. Right-Click an EMPTY space next to it and from the popup menu select Window>Terminal Here. Type the following command in the terminal, code:

dir2pet Audacity-2.3.1

adjust if you named the folder something else.

There'll be a number of questions which will appear. Almost always when 'converting' from an SFS to a pet you can just press Return. But you'll want to make sure that the application will appear on the menu in the right category: in this case one of the "Multimedia" choices. A scroll-bar enables you to select which category. After you press Return the last time a pet will be created adjacent to your Audacity folder. This can take some time. Don't panic. Just wait until the pet appears.

icosahedron

#9 Post by icosahedron »

Hi Mike,

I admire your attempt to teach this dinosaur to fish. I'll see how I go with creating a PET from an SFS. Your instructions seem to be at my level. Thanks.

I don't think my 'install' is Full or Frugal (not sure of the definitions). I'm loading Puppy from a USB and running live in RAM.

But I was under the impression that a PET loaded itself (I've used several of them successfully) whereas an SFS needed to be manually loaded and tinkered with. Maybe I got that wrong. Zero knowledge here. :(

icosahedron

#10 Post by icosahedron »

I got as far as 'show hidden files', clicked the eye, but it seems there are no hidden files in the amd64sfs, just a usr folder.

I pressed Enter a few times in response to the unintelligible computer speak, and I have created what appears to be a PET package.

I also have a nohup dot out. What is this? Do I need it, or can I delete it? It appears to be empty.

I clicked on my PET, installed, and...

YAY! I've got a copy of Audacity. Now I can play about with it over the weekend and see if it fulfills my expectations. :)

Thanks Mike, Thanks Watchdog. I'll play about with the sfs on my next startup, too, now I have instructions to follow, see how that compares with the PET.

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

We dinosaurs have to stick together otherwise we may go extinct. :roll:

"I don't think my 'install' is Full or Frugal (not sure of the definitions). I'm loading Puppy from a USB and running live in RAM." If it's on a USB it's almost certainly a Frugal especially as it is "running live in RAM". All operating systems initially make changes in RAM. But Full Installs --whether Puppy, or Windows or another Linux-- then immediately writes those changes to "Storage" and may clear RAM. A Frugal Puppy holds changes in RAM* and only writes them to Storage when manually commanded [Save Icon on desktop or typing 'save2flash' in terminal] or periodically depending on where the Puppy is located [USB-Key, Hard-drive or CD/DVD].

On a USB-Key, I think, the Save period is once every 30 minutes and to Ask at Shut-down. You can change that: Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, click the 'Save Sessions' tab. I set the Save Interval to Zero (0) with a check in the "Ask at Shutdown" box. I usually have no reason to write to Storage; and every reason not to write junk files from the internet to Storage. But see here what I've done so that some applications will immediately write to Storage. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 066#974066. Puppies on Hard-drives can be tricked into 'thinking' they're on a USB-Key. How to is discussed earlier on that thread.

"I got as far as 'show hidden files', clicked the eye, but it seems there are no hidden files in the amd64sfs, just a usr folder." There usually aren't hidden files. But the little effort of looking for them is worth it to avoid errors resulting from the rare occasion they are.

"I also have a nohup dot out. What is this? Do I need it, or can I delete it? It appears to be empty." I have no idea. No you don't and yes you can. I think of it as something Puppy does to show off: "Look, what I did". :) In which case it's possible that it's pride is hurt when I immediately delete it. But, Puppies have stoically endured my rudeness. :lol:
---
* One of the benefits of having the changes in RAM with Puppy 'running in RAM' is that you can test without committing a change/application to Storage. Before Saving, restart-x: Menu>Exit>Restart-X or Restart Graphical Server. Puppy will re-catalog what makes up its current system. So you can start the new application and see if there are any problems.

icosahedron

#12 Post by icosahedron »

Thanks Mike, so I'm running frugally. OK.
And Hidden Files are a just-in-case check - roger that.

My puppy is set up to make no saves. I've got used to saving what I want, when I want it, and preventing everything else from insinuating itself into my system behind my back. Puppy's ability to do that was a major influence in weaning me off Windoze.

If I want something (such as Audacity or Firefox) to be a permanent feature, I make a re-master of Puppy including it.

Otherwise, I just load things from the PET if I need them for that session, and conserve RAM space when they're not needed. I have a little PET library that I draw on for applications I need, when I need them - a bit like Thunderbird 2 loading pods for the day's mission. :)
Audacity is now in the collection.

You're saying that if I restart X, it will clear those day-applications and take me back to a 'clean' Puppy? That's useful to know, thanks.

I'll delete the nohup, then. Puppy can take a mild rebuff - it's nothing compared with the well-deserved vitriol I've levelled at Microsoft over the years...

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike/icosahedron:-
"I also have a nohup dot out. What is this? Do I need it, or can I delete it? It appears to be empty." I have no idea. No you don't and yes you can. I think of it as something Puppy does to show off: "Look, what I did". :) In which case it's possible that it's pride is hurt when I immediately delete it. But, Puppies have stoically endured my rudeness. :lol:
FWIW, to the best of my knowledge that nohup.out file is something to do with the package building/package database management system.

I use Trio's PetMaker-2.3 for building .pets - have done for a few years now - and it always produces one of those in its /root/make-pet directory, at the top level, next to the directory you're running 'dir2pet' on ('cos that's all it's doing behind the scenes).

On the odd occasions when I just run 'dir2pet' directly in the terminal to build a package, regardless of where I do so, a nohup.out file is always produced somewhere in that same directory. So I'm guessing it's a by-product of Puppy's dir2pet script.

Just a wee tidbit of useless info for ya! :lol:

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#14 Post by mikeslr »

icosahedron: "You're saying that if I restart X, it will clear those day-applications and take me back to a 'clean' Puppy? That's useful to know, thanks."

No. ReStarting-X doesn't result in a 'clean Puppy'. It merely re-catalogs what files currently make up Puppy. Mostly useful when you've added what ldd led you to believe was a missing library or two. AFAIK, if a pet has a 'pininstall' running 'fixmenus' will do the same thing. But, I don't know how to write a pininstall. Consequently, after I install a pet I've created --the install only being in RAM-- to test whether it's working I ReStart-X so that Puppy will recognize that the pet is now part of its system. If there's a problem, the pet is only in RAM: not yet Saved to a SaveFile/Folder. Only rebooting without having Saved will take me back to a 'clean' Puppy --that is, one which doesn't include the pet or files I installed before rebooting.

Basically, just what you are doing. I just wanted to clear up a misimpression.

icosahedron

#15 Post by icosahedron »

OK. Whatever the nohup file is, it's obviously nothing vital, so I've removed it as unnecessary clutter.

Misimpression cleared, thanks. :)