[vice-2.4] in ppm puppy-tahr-official

Please post any bugs you have found
fabrice_035

[vice-2.4] in ppm puppy-tahr-official

#1 Post by fabrice_035 »

Hi,

After installed vice-2.4, the .pet replace link from libpango-1.0.so.0 to libpango-1.0.so.3800.1 (working situation ok) by link to libpango-1.0.so.3600.1

No more windows open, impossible to use Puppy after. Reboot to fresh usb and corrected that. I was scared but everything went back to normal.

Can we confirm that too?

Regard
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

mostly_lurking

#2 Post by mostly_lurking »

You installed this program on Xenialpup? I just tried in with Xenialpup 7.5 in a virtual machine. Similar result - the vice 2.4 .pet for Tahrpup re-links libpango from a 3800 version to a 3600 one, and some - but not all - programs fail to create a window (urxvt terminal and ROX Filer are still working, for example). The question is why this library is even included in the package... Tahrpup has the exact same version already.

So while a package for an older Puppy will often be compatible with a newer one, it isn't in this case.

fabrice_035

#3 Post by fabrice_035 »

Yes on XenialPup. After install it is impossible to remove the package because ppm crash too.
Someone knows a command line to remove a packet from the ppm ?

mostly_lurking

#4 Post by mostly_lurking »

You could try fixing the symlink: delete the link to the 3600 version of libpango and re-link to the 3800 one. Either through ROX Filer, if it still works, or via the terminal (if your graphical terminal is broken, too, press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace to exit to the command prompt). Enter the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib
rm ./libpango-1.0.so.0
ln -s ./libpango-1.0.so.0.3800.1 ./libpango-1.0.so.0
(This goes to /usr/lib, deletes the link, and creates a new one to the correct libpango version.)

After I did that, the applications that previously failed were working again. Vice seemed to be working, as well - at least it started up; I had no Commodore programs to test it. (It ended up in the "Utility" menu, btw.) I have no idea if you might find any other problems lurking somewhere that haven't become apparent yet; time will tell, I guess.

The solution I described in the following thread for uninstalling a problematic package from the command prompt worked, too, but I had to rename "vice-2.4.files" in /root/.packages to "vice-2.files" (command: mv /root/.packages/vice-2.4.files /root/.packages/vice-2.files) because petget didn't seem to process the name correctly for some reason:
How do I reverse fatal changes to my frugal pupsave [SOLVED]

fabrice_035

#5 Post by fabrice_035 »

Hello,

Ok, petget -package_name for remove, understand.

Vice work fine.

Regard.