How will self driving cars affect insurance?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
bigpup

How will self driving cars affect insurance?

#1 Post by bigpup »

What is insurance going to look like with self driving autos.
https://www.thesimpledollar.com/insuran ... insurance/

It already seems to be changing with all the automatic safety features!

wiak

#2 Post by wiak »

I'm not young enough to imagine self driving cars will dominate the road environment whilst I am still present on planet Earth. I wish I was, because I would certainly look forward to the prospect (though I'd more happily be in a self-driving ultra-regular public transport environment with uncongested roads and the possibility to ride my bicycle down the near-empty motorway/highways...).

However, maybe if I eat enough vegetables I'll live long enough to enjoy being transported by a self-driving vehicle and just have to hope no daft human driver runs into the car I'm in because they are busy texting someone or other.

wiak

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Car insurance for self-driving cars will cost you an arm and a leg.
(Where is that dark humor icon?) :twisted:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

Sue Google, Microsoft and/or Amazon, then Tesla and other auto-makers. The person in the car is not driving it. And the owner/leasee probably signed off on a "hold harmless" clause in the lease/purchase agreement preventing the software maker(s) from being held responsible for the crack n hack that occured causing the accident. Good luck finding the hacker/cracker.

You're still screwed, but others are responsible part and parcel.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

8Geee wrote:Sue Google, Microsoft and/or Amazon, then Tesla and other auto-makers. The person in the car is not driving it. And the owner/leasee probably signed off on a "hold harmless" clause in the lease/purchase agreement preventing the software maker(s) from being held responsible for the crack n hack that occured causing the accident. Good luck finding the hacker/cracker.

You're still screwed, but others are responsible part and parcel.

Regards
8Geee
Hold/harmless clause may keep you from suing the manufacturer or software company over the car you bought hurting you, but it isn't going to keep someone else you hurt from suing the car manufacturer or the software company. It also probably isn't going to keep your liability insurance company who has had to pay out on your behalf from suing the vehicle manufacturer or software company.

I imagine blue states will pass a laws making such a hold harmless agreement void as against public policy after the first few highly publicized cases (if they aren't already under the general consumer protection laws).