BionicPup64 cannot connect to TV recorder on my network

Booting, installing, newbie
kyle1974

BionicPup64 cannot connect to TV recorder on my network

#1 Post by kyle1974 »

Hi

I am using BionicPup64 V8.0 installed onto a 64gb memory card. I have used puppy on and off over the years :)

I have a TV/Satellite Recorder which is on my network connected via ethernet as is my PC. When I go into Linux Mint 19 or Windows 10, I can connect to the box via networking by using the IP address and can see the folders. There are no permissions set on these folders, I can browse and copy as needs be.

I can also use the web address interface to view files etc.

What I cannot do is in Puppy Linux, map to those drives in any way. I have tried Pnethood, Peasyport, Samba and YASSM and whilst I can view the folders sometimes, I am unable to map to them and view the contents. (Although as said, I can do this if I use the web interface via PaleMoon)

Is there anything else I can try please?

Thank you
Kyle

fabrice_035

#2 Post by fabrice_035 »

if it helps, I had an identical problem that I solved just like this.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118535

you can find in yassm-login in /usr/local/yassm/
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752

kyle1974

#3 Post by kyle1974 »

fabrice_035 wrote:if it helps, I had an identical problem that I solved just like this.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118535

you can find in yassm-login in /usr/local/yassm/
Thank you for this - am I adding the code from the other page or replacing something please?

ETA: I have found the right section, commented it out and added your bit - still cannot connect though, there's no password or log in set on the box so I am completely thrown!

Further ETA! It's just worked so thank you!! (I shall save this post!)

Further Further ETA! VLC doesn't work now! I give up! (although MPV seems to work as a player)

fabrice_035

#4 Post by fabrice_035 »

Working solution with user and password other than GUEST/GUEST

Code: Select all

mount -t cifs //$IP/"$SHARE" $MYSHARE  -o iocharset=utf8,rw,vers=1.0,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,user=$USER,password=$PASSWORD

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ kyle1974:-

You may find this to be of use:-

Simple HTTP WebServer

(I was going to suggest Samba-TNG, a lightweight yet very robust 'fork' of Samba that's been used for years by Puppians, but I see rcrsn51 has discontinued it (that's another one he's 'knocked on the head'.....why??) :?)

I'm assuming you want to use the file(s) 'in-situ', rather than simply transfer them, then use 'em.....yes?

Mike. :wink:

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

... but I see rcrsn51 has discontinued it (that's another one he's 'knocked on the head'.....why??)
1. Samba-TNG uses the old, insecure protocol "sec=ntlm" which has finally been dropped by Samba. So the Samba client tools (mount.cifs) in the latest Linuxes no longer connect to a TNG server.

2. Why are you suggesting that the user run a Samba server when his problem is clearly with Samba client apps?

3. All recent Puppies have a Samba4 server built-in. What would be the point in running a TNG server on top of it?

4. I no longer have the time to test all my projects or to track down incompatibilities whenever a new Puppy is released . And I refuse to leave unmaintained and potentially broken software available for download under my name. So I have moved most of my work to the Debian-Live space where I can maintain it on a stable platform that I trust.

kyle1974

#7 Post by kyle1974 »

Thank you both, it is much appreciated - everything seems to be working now, but I will keep this page bookmarked just in case.

Still can't fix my VLC issue but have posted in the right place I think.

Thank you loads!

enrique

#8 Post by enrique »

I am happy that kyle1974 has resolve its problem.

And in fact I see fabrice_035 long replacement line do have the solution included. But this Thread nor the 10ths previously failed to point out what is the problem nor what it the real solution.

Problem has nothing to do with Puppy, or Bionic. It is true that you see Samba and yassm and other fail on Bionic. But it is NOT Bionic but the new "Samba client tools (mount.cifs)" that fail to connect to old working HDD.

People, this is the same garbage we got from Microsoft, Google etc. Samba just wrongly decided to behave like them.

This organizations think they have the right to decide for YOU to where you can connect or NOT. Based on their own rules of what is secure or not.

In the process we the USER fail to be able to watch our old Movies/Pictures/Backups just because they are store on HDD builds 5-10 years ago. So what this companies expect us to do with our old data. Do they truly expect us to thru in the garbage a perfectly working HDD?

Yes this is the same issue as why our forum can not notify to googles mail users. Stupid and arrogant corporate decisions.

Conclusion:
With respect to "Samba client tools (mount.cifs)". If you use a new version you have to specify in the connection line that you intent to connect to a server version 1. By adding ",vers=1.0" to the "mount -t cifs"

As respect to Puppy Build packages I guess some one will have to figure out how to update. My best guess is that the program most ask the user if he is willing to allow connections to samba v1.0.

jafadmin

#9 Post by jafadmin »

This is a "Tempest in a Teacup"

From YASSM v4.1 ..

I've been using the Bionics for quite a while now, and YASSM has worked flawlessly for me. (Note the "Options" line?) :roll:

I've been a sysadmin on Unix/Linux since before graphical user interfaces, and I can assure you of one constant; Change is inevitable

Do you really think it's a good idea to attack and criticize the devs? If you want your money back, just ask! We'll gladly refund it.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY AN APP WORKS, RE-WRITE IT!

fabrice_035

#10 Post by fabrice_035 »

I'm confirming that your solution works, it's actually a lot simpler.
For those who discover a nice puppy we can imagine an additional option unless it is possible to make an auto detection in the script on the version to choose?

To study for a patch

ps: in france we say a storm in a glass of water

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply. Message deleted.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 07 May 2020, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

kyle1974

#12 Post by kyle1974 »

jafadmin wrote:This is a "Tempest in a Teacup"

From YASSM v4.1 ..

I've been using the Bionics for quite a while now, and YASSM has worked flawlessly for me. (Note the "Options" line?) :roll:

I've been a sysadmin on Unix/Linux since before graphical user interfaces, and I can assure you of one constant; Change is inevitable

Do you really think it's a good idea to attack and criticize the devs? If you want your money back, just ask! We'll gladly refund it.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY AN APP WORKS, RE-WRITE IT!
I wasn't criticising, I just came looking for help :(

enrique

#13 Post by enrique »

kyle1974
You done nothing wrong, I guess jafadmin comments is for my comment. In fact jafadmin is one of the GOOD ones too. He had help me a few times. I am gratefully thank.

I guess he did not like "Stupid and arrogant corporate decisions."

How else will you kyle1974 define their decision. Samba decided to submit to Microsoft in their quest to forbid the use of old secure methods as they now redefine it unsecured.

In the process this corporations/organizations decided that you kyle1974 have to STOP using your old hardware and no longer will able to watch your old TV record movies. Is this a smart decision? Why taking you out of the decision loop? They should send a recommendation and let you decide what kyle1974 want to do with his old recorded movies.

Lets create a metafore.
Lets give this corporation decision over covid19 virus policy.

I bet they will likely ask ALL Hospital to STOP helping any person that get Positive. In fact asking them to be kill & burn in the spot. ALL for the safe of the so called security of the Health System. Smart they KILL 10th of thousand sick people and save 100th of thousands. Real Smart way to save life and economy. Will that make it right? I will still called it "Stupid and arrogant corporate decisions."