Bionicpup32 cannot see other computers on network or be seen

Using applications, configuring, problems
musicologyman

Bionicpup32 cannot see other computers on network or be seen

#1 Post by musicologyman »

I'm running Bionic Puppy 32-bit version 19.3 on an old netbook (an ASUS Eee PC 900A to be precise). When I set it up, I was able to use RDP to log on to it the first time. (The netbook has teeny tiny keys, so it's easier to use it from a full-size keyboard.) I was also able to use Samba to transfer files to other computers on the network. Thereafter, however, the computer has become invisible to all other computers on the network except the router. IOW, I can ping the gateway (DHCP Server) 10.0.0.1 and get a response, but when I try to ping other devices (including sending out a broadcast ping to 10.0.0.255), the Bionic Puppy box receives no response. Likewise, the Netbook is invisible to other computers. I've also checked the net mask, and it's the same on both the netbook and other computers that I've attempted to reach: ffffff00.

I'm not going to say that I've torn out my hair trying to research and to fix this, but that's only because I don't have much hair left. But if I had hair to begin with, I surely wouldn't have any now.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

musicologyman

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Do you have Internet access from that machine? And is it possible that your firewall settings have changed and are choking off more ports than was originally the case?

Moose On The Loose

Re: Cannot see other computers on network or be seen

#3 Post by Moose On The Loose »

musicologyman wrote: [....]
Thereafter, however, the computer has become invisible to all other computers on the network except the router. IOW, I can ping the gateway (DHCP Server) 10.0.0.1 and get a response, but when I try to ping other devices (including sending out a broadcast ping to 10.0.0.255), the Bionic Puppy box receives no response. Likewise, the Netbook is invisible to other computers. I've also checked the net mask, and it's the same on both the netbook and other computers that I've attempted to reach: ffffff00.
The first thing I would do is check the IP of each machine
It is a bit unusual for the IP range to be 10.x.x.x
Maybe somebody doesn't believe in it an expects a 192.168.x.x range
Maybe two machines somehow have the same IP.

I would check that your router isn't one of those with the "home" and "guest" thing that lets you allow guests to use it to get to the internet in general without access to your home network.

If there is a Windows machine on the network, shut it down and just to be safe set fire to it.

musicologyman

Re: Cannot see other computers on network or be seen

#4 Post by musicologyman »

Thanks for your responses! Here's what else I can tell you:

1) All of the computers on our network are in the 10.0.0.1-254 range. That's the default setting for our DHCP server (a modem/router), and we've not changed it. (I'm not sure why our provider [Comcast] has set it up for a class-A network, but I've not had any trouble with any other devices communicating on it.) I've also checked the subnet mask, and it's 255.255.255.0 on both the Bionicpup box and the computers with which I want to communicate. At any rate, I'm reluctant to change it because other members of the household depend on the network.

2) I've checked the firewall, and that the appropriate ports are open. But I don't think that's the problem here, because, as I understand it, the way the ICMP protocol works is independent of any ports that are open or closed: it's aimed at the IP address.

musicologyman

jafadmin

#5 Post by jafadmin »

Use this test procedure:

1) Boot the machine in RAM mode
2) Get the IP address assignment from the DHCP server
3) Run test pings directly to the IP addresses of the other network devices

If this works, you know there is nothing wrong with your ASUS netbook or the home network. Then we just need to troubleshoot your puppy setup in your savefile.

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

It is a bit unusual for the IP range to be 10.x.x.x
Typical range for a VPN.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.