How do I lick LICK?

Using applications, configuring, problems
icosahedron

How do I lick LICK?

#1 Post by icosahedron »

I'm trying to use LICK to dual-boot an ASUS X540S. (Thanks for the advice Tallboy)

LICK tells me it's successfully installed.

I've dragged an .iso to it, and it tells me it's successfully installed that, in both C: and F: (the HDD and the Flash Drive respectively.

But...

When I reboot, I get an error page that says:

error: no such device lupu-525/vmlinuz
error: file '/lupu-525/vmlinuz not found
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Now (using Windows, which is the only thing that will boot at present) I've checked the extracted lupu-525 folder (in F: I can't find the one in C: ). It's present, and it contains something called vmlinuz.

I'm not sure if everything is loaded in the right place, or whether everything has copied that ought to, because I know nothing about software installation. I just do what it says in the little boxes and hope for the best.

Unfortunately, in Win 10, I can't even navigate the file tree to see where all the files are. It was simple in XP, you just went up and down the levels, but in Win 10 you seem to be blocked from going any higher than 'Desktop'. I can't even find C:
I really, really hate Microsoft!!!

LICK is installed in C: backslash Program Files (x86) backslash lick (so it told me, and I wrote it down just in case...) and the Lupu-525 folder is probably in C: because that was the default option LICK gave me. Maybe they need to be in the same place?

I've also dragged a Xenial 7.5 .iso to LICK, in case Lupu was too old to function, but I get a similar error message for that, too.

Can someone tell me what's gone wrong (in words of one syllable) please?

Thanks.
Computers: - I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Console/Terminal? What's that?
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

icosahedron

#2 Post by icosahedron »

OK, partially solved. Xenial was loaded only on the flashdrive, and LICK couldn't see it there, but when I copied the Xenial folder from F: to C:, LICK found it and started it. However, it still can't see Lupu.

I have located C: on Win10, and both Lupu-525 and Xenial folders are now there.

So, in a nutshell, what's fixed - I can dual boot to Xenial, which means I can use the computer with Puppy. Emergency over. :)

What's not fixed - I have no idea why Lupu isn't working (unless it's UEFI incompatibility, but I thought LICK bypassed that), and Xenial will only work if it's loaded on the hard drive, it won't boot from the stick. If someone can give me a brief tutorial on what I did wrong, and how to make LICK boot from a Puppy on a stick, it'd be much appreciated.
Thanks.
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

O.F.I.N.S.I.S.

#3 Post by O.F.I.N.S.I.S. »

Why are you trying to run Lupu 525 and Xenial. Lupu was meanwhile updated to 528 and this 528 also is much older than Xenial. On all of my computers Lupu even wouldn't be of any use as for the newer hardware like sound card etc.pp.

I might be wrong, but I think one can't install and use different Puppies if all of them are installed using LICK?

Edit: if you want to boot another Puppy from USB flash drive, you should change boot order in BIOS. Usually there's also a key (F10, F11 etc.) to press right after the computer is switched on, to choose where to boot from.
Our Future Is Not Set In Stone
[url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfyaxCNMduwyXlQFRQKhhQ[/url]
[url]https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367[/url]
[b]My own build of Bionic64[/b]

icosahedron

#4 Post by icosahedron »

Hi OFINSIS,
Thanks for the reply. I was using Lupu simply because it was the first ISO I found in my personal archive. I've only recently updated from this myself, as I usually work with old computers that somebody else has given me.

When LICK wouldn't load Lupu, I tried Xenial instead, guessing that it might be a UEFI issue, but I can't see if there's a way to uninstall Lupu as a boot option without uninstalling LICK, so at present it gives me three boot options, Windows, Lupu and Xenial, but the Lupu option just gives me a dead screen.

(The vmlinuz error seems to occur when LICK is pointing to the wrong place - eg it's looking for it in C: when the Puppy folder is in F: so I'm no longer worried about that, it was just my installation boo-boo).

AFAIK, LICK will triple or even quadruple boot, but I'm not sure, either. Perhaps an expert will come along and tell us for sure.

Ah. Boot Order. That's why I loaded LICK in the first place - because I couldn't figure out how to disable Secure Boot and change the Boot Order (Secure Boot is greyed out so I can't access it. If I can un-grey Secure Boot, I'll be much, much happier, and I won't need to figure out LICK's little quirks.)