2 UpupBB machines shutdown overnight, require cold start

Using applications, configuring, problems
boof

2 UpupBB machines shutdown overnight, require cold start

#1 Post by boof »

why do both my pcs drop out of x and then blank the screen overnight? usually need cold reboot. kbrd and mouse disabled at blank screen. upupbb32-8.0 happens without my input and no warning. pupmode 12 both.

rockedge

#2 Post by rockedge »

I have had that happen just recently and was faced with blinking cursor on a black screen.

Do you have swap files or partition set up? This might be because of RAM or some memory overflow. I have seen also this caused by hardware failure and other times unknown power outages.

Your case sounds like cache - buffer over-runs

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Boof, how much RAM is in both computers?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Any programs still running, when you leave the computers?
If yes.
What programs?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

boof

#5 Post by boof »

2gb+ & 24/7 use ea, ff, t'bird, libreoffice, multiple ff windows, after several hours use, viewing streamed video. xwin sufficient to restore operation if caught early. no stack warning, possible ram o'flow? machines both freeze if cashe full. frugal installs, with swapfiles, one inwindows with lick, one alone. is there a periodic ram/casheflush i could use?

ozsouth

#6 Post by ozsouth »

@boof - firefox in particular, when streaming constantly on some sites, gobbles ram. I found using kayo that I couldn't watch two football matches in a row without restarting firefox after the first. That is with 8Gb ram. Seamonkey, Opera & Chrome are less prone to this problem.

boof

#7 Post by boof »

pls explain gobbles ram? do not understand what is happening. nb hardware tech, so will understand detailed answer. stream stops often when live, but not when playing back pre-recorded. cure for gobbling ram?

edit:
video download approx 700MB/hr, if re-write data/code seqment address register every [x] min to reset it would that do? Then it could be conditional on stream existing?
Last edited by boof on Tue 19 May 2020, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

ozsouth

#8 Post by ozsouth »

@boof - gobbles = keeps using more & more ram till all gone. Firefox website has suggestions to minimise this, but I found them ineffective. Hence I would use Seamonkey 2.53.2 for kayo. For some sites, may need to run in a terminal:
apulse seamonkey

Not sure about your data re-write idea, but worth trying.

boof

#9 Post by boof »

unfortunately site [iview.abc.net.au] works on latest ff or chrome, and little else. I like ff, it's friendly and does what I want. will try chrome later. thx. re-segment re-write--don't know how to implement, NOT a programmer! just thought worth trying.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... -resources

If you are keeping Firefox running all the time.
Understand that any of the web sites, it is hooked to, can be doing stuff all the time and using up resources.
I have seen web sites, constantly making changes to the web page, and Firefox is not going to release resources, that may not now be needed.

For what ever reason. Lately, Browsers and the internet, seem to be freezing, for short periods of time.
I think the amount of active stuff on a web page, the amount of Internet usage, the Internet is maxing out or getting close to it.
Starting to remind me of the early days of the Internet. When bandwidth was always an issue.

The other programs you talk about.
One or several of them could have memory leaks.
For a short time, no big deal.
Over a long period of time running. Those memory leaks could use up all the memory.
Thus, lockups, freezing, shutdowns, etc.....
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

boof

#11 Post by boof »

then should I just close ff periodically? if so, is there a script which will kill and restart it as was at stream change/end/timeout/preset address? or x?
like below?

#!/bin/sh
while [IP address=iview.abc.net.au]
delay 900
reset ff cashe=0 ?
end

boof

#12 Post by boof »

installed advanced history and cashe cleaner add on. should resolve that problem

boof

#13 Post by boof »

have a 10-30min live stream news dropout. a std message appears on screen. have to then go back one page and re-click the item I'm watching and click "
ok" icon. would like to automate process, regardless of what item i'm viewing.
something like this in startup menu

#! /bin/sh
firefox https://iview.abc.net.au/show/abc-news- ... 413V001S00 AND Enter key
while firefox
if [Ierror msg page]
then (firefox https://iview.abc.net.au/show/abc-news- ... 413V001S00 AND Enter key) AND (live view icon AND Enter)
delay 15 #to reduce processor load
end

edit:

can I somehow trigger pre-load page from error page and click live play icon in pre-load page? this would auto continue live stream.
Attachments
Screenshot(3).png
pre-load page
(122.51 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Screenshot(2).png
pre-load page source
(153.85 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Screenshot(1).png
error page
(86.85 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Screenshot.png
error page source